Outlaw Audio 975 w/tax refund pending

Options
Someone show me something equal/better new/used soon otherwise...

Tony
Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work

Comments

• WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    edited March 2015
    Options
    That unit seems to be the real deal for the type that wants an affordable, yet minimal HDMI swithing Pre that sounds as good as more expensive ones. Mated with their budget 5000 amp seems like a winning combo.

Some might say an older analog pre is a better buy...those that have little faith in HDMI.

However, for myself...finding an older model top AVR used at a good price will net many more features. I've found the higher end Onkyo units sounded better than some of the midline units....as just one example of getting it all for cheap. Mated with an amp, it just does not get any better for the money spent. I've yet to add an amp as my current room is smaller that I'd like and my front three have built in amps. However, something is planned for round two.

Something like these at the "right" price (Even cheaper than below) might be hard to overlook vs. the Outlaw.
    http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/ele/4920175817.html
    http://greensboro.craigslist.org/ele/4913907666.html
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/ONKYO-TX-NR3008-9-2-Receiver-Super-Condition-Factory-Reconditioned-/161630049951?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item25a1e6d69f
    http://providence.fi.craigslist.org/ele/4888999153.html
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    Options
    I can't thank you enough for your interest.

I will look closely at your suggestions as setup software is nice. I'll compare decoding (DPL, DD, DTS, etc) and pre outs.

I don't care about power - I have more* than most any AVR at any $.
    * channels, SQ, & power

The Outlaw and my Rotel are both shy setup software but deliver good SQ. The Rotel is outdated lacking HDMI & the latest decoding ability.
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,534
    Options
    If you just want HDMI and the latest encoding.... its hard to beat that Outlaw.

If you require more than basic room correction... look elsewhere.

Thats what it comes down to.

If you need room correction you add complexity depending on if you want Audyssey, there are a couple different versions and manufactures (Denon, Older Onkyos - new ones have their own EQ, Marantz), MCACC (Pioneer), YPAO (Pioneer), etc....
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • EndersShadow
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Another option if your existing pre-amp has multichannel inputs is to keep it and buy an Oppo 103, 105, etc. They can do the decoding and send the analog signal to your existing pre-amp. They also have another HDMI input as well as digital inputs so you could daisy chain something else to the Oppo.

And then you send the HDMI output to your TV for the video portion.

Additionally the Oppo does have some basic room correction built in as well you could utilize.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • Polkie2009
    Polkie2009 Posts: 3,834
    Options
    My Yamaha RX-V 663 avr has the multichannel inputs and I've thought about trying to use my Oppo 103 to do the decoding. When using the multichannel inputs, the Yammy's YPAO room correction eq is disabled correct? The Oppo 103 does_ offer some basic room correction as Enders mentioned.
  • EndersShadow
    Options
    ^No idea, would have to read the manual to ascertain that.