RTiA9's + Amp: Worth it?

pjd2011
pjd2011 Posts: 49
Hey guys,

I posted something similar awhile back but wasn't specific as to what my setup was and will be.

I currently have the chance to buy very gently used A9's and an Emotiva XPA-2 amplifier altogether for $1,200. This is a large sum for me to be dropping on a setup right now but eventually I'll be using these in a full home stereo setup so they will be with me for many, many years down the line.

With that being said this would be replacing my Monitor60 II's amped with an Onkyo M-282 being fed by an Asus Xonar Essence STX sound card in my desktop. I'm very pleased by what I've been able to reproduce with the setup but I'm looking for something more higher end as I transition out of college and into "the real world."

The speakers will be used for primarily music and movies here and there. Again, all being fed through my computer. All my gaming, music, and movies go through it so there's no point looking into a receiver until I have the space and extra cash. Again, eventually I'd upgrade to the full RTi line to match.

I'd be selling my current set up to some of my buddies for ~$300 so I think of the upgrade cost being $900.

Should I go for it or should I just stick with what I've got?
Computer nerd diving head first into quality audio.

Comments

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    Just my opinion but for that much money you could buy any model SDA's you want.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    Those are pretty big speakers to keep moving. Fair price for the gear.
  • D_M
    D_M Posts: 175
    pjd2011,

I would say wait until you are in place number 2. By then you'll have plenty of cash from the job you land after school. It also gives you sometime to figure out what type of system you really want.
  • Inspector 24
    Inspector 24 Posts: 1,308
    Huge upgrade over what you have. Some say the Emotiva RTi line is a bright/harsh combo, but a massive upgrade over what you have.

Good price for the setup assuming everything is in good cosmetic/functional order.

Up
    LSi15 LSiC - RX-V3000

Down
    LSiM707 - 706c - 702f/x - Dual HSU VTF-15H Mk2
    Parasound HCA-3500 - HCA-2003A - Marantz SR7005
    Sim2 D60 - Dragonfly 106" Panny 500

• pjd2011
    Right, I know people say that the RTi's and Emotiva combo seems too harsh but from what I've heard in the past it's been very nice to listen to. Not too mention I'll be able to upgrade to the rest of the RTi line once I have the cash and space. The speaker and amplifier combo will blend right into a full surround setup.

I understand the SDA's are a fantastic speaker but I only envision having these in a 2.0 setup for the next few years. Then they'll become a front channel setup.

With that being said, though, I could get a pair of SDA-1's for ~$500. SDA-SRS's for ~$1,400. From what I've been able to research so far I'd need one helluva power source for those so I'd easily be looking at an additional $600 for an amplifier. I imagine they're not as great in a full surround sound setup too(?).
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    edited March 2015
    pjd2011 wrote: »
    I could get a pair of SDA-1's for ~$500. SDA-SRS's for ~$1,400. I imagine they're not as great in a full surround sound setup too(?).

@westmassguy

afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • pjd2011
    Also, some SDA 2's in my area. Link to the others.

http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/134423/vintage-monitor-and-sda-speaker-deals/p44

Accepting all options.
  • scotvl
    scotvl Posts: 88
    If you're familiar with the A9s and XPA-2 sound and you seem to like it, then its a no brainer.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,711
    I'm looking for something more higher end as I transition out of college and into "the real world."

In that case forget the A9's and the Emo. Keep the Onkyo M282 and buy a pair of LSiM 705's. That way you truly will be stepping up to something more higher end as the 705 is a far better speaker than the A9 and easier to drive. In addition, the LSiM series will still be around for years to come, but I wouldn't bet the RTiA series will be.

Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• pjd2011
    @F1nut - The LSiM's are way out of my price range. Even once I start working building around the prices for the matching surround components would be far too much.

Looking for great 2.0 speakers that will transition into a full front stage when paired with the same line.
  • D_M
    edited March 2015
    pjd2011,

Check out the flea market on the forum. I'm not sure how far away you are from Boston, but there is an LSi front stage for $350. I just noticed your post count, so you probably can't see the classifieds. I'm going to assume that you are young and up for an adventure. Road trip!!!! You must have a college buddy that you can convince to take the trip with you. You might end up with a great road trip story!
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    edited March 2015
    @F1nut - The LSiM's are way out of my price range. Even once I start working building around the prices for the matching surround components would be far too much.

Looking for great 2.0 speakers that will transition into a full front stage when paired with the same line.
    If you want the best path to walk down, Jesse's recommendation is spot on.

You can get the 703's even, for the price you are going to pay for the other stuff. Pair these with a nice sub and you have a setup that you will keep going forward into your new space.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LSiM703-MT-VERNON-CHERRY-Bookshelf-Rear-Speaker-Polk-Audio-EACH-/360970213943
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • pjd2011
    D_M wrote: »
    pjd2011,

Check out the flea market on the forum. I'm not sure how far away you are from Boston, but there is an LSi front stage for $350. I just noticed your post count, so you probably can't see the classifieds. I'm going to assume that you are young and up for an adventure. Road trip!!!! You must have a college buddy that you can convince to take the trip with you. You might end up with a great road trip story!

You actually just had me spend an hour looking up rental prices and Airbnb for a weekend in Boston for St. Patty's day! :)

Sadly, I don't think I could make the trip. I made an offer for the equipment if he ships but I won't hold my breath. I'd still have to hunt down an amplifier adequately power them too.

Looking into those + a pair of SDA 2's... I should probably specify that I do like boomier music. My favorite testing song right now is from RAC ( To give you an idea of the music in mind.

Based on all my research the A9 is the best musically in the RTi line and also superb with movies. Coupled with plenty of power I feel like I'd be hitting my sweet spot. Plus filling in the RTi line for a surround setup will be more affordable and more fun to piece together hunting for deals. It'd also give me an excuse to upgrade to a 65"+ TV. (I was the kid showing up at the dorms freshman year with a 55" TV I bought for $400)
  • D_M
    pjd2011,

It seems like you are already set on the 9s, so you need to scratch that itch. The majority of speakers have a better presentation when paired with a dedicated amplifier. If you are planning on having a dual duty system, a two channel amp might not be the best route. You'll be short a couple of channels with the XPA-2, that's why I recommended waiting until you figure out exactly what type of system you want. You could spend the time searching for better deals on A9s and a multi-channel amp.
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    PJD2011, you have a very sound plan in place for now and for future expansion. for what you will be getting, that is an excellent price.

It sounds like you have heard this set up, so if you don't have a problem with what you are hearing I say jump on it. Deals like this don't come up to often.

As time goes on and you add more speakers, you can either sell the Emotiva and buy a 5 channel amp or a 3 channel amp and keep the XPA2. But you will already have the main building blocks in place.

There is always something better out there to be had, that you can spend your whole life searching for it or waiting for the best deal.

This is a terrific beginning with potential for the future. Go for it.

And WELCOME TO CLUB POLK!
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • pjd2011
    I came across this tonight too... http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/ele/4927318968.html

2 RTi 10's
    2 RTi 6's
    CSi 5 center channel

All for $480. Since I'd be driving 4 hours to pick these up maybe, MAYBE I could talk him down a little bit.

I could probably find a used Onkyo 805 or similar to put out good power under $320. For $800 this could tide me over until I feel the itch for better once I'm settled into a job and long term living arrangement.

What do you think?
  • F1nut
    If his name is Scott Trigg, avoid at all costs. Otherwise, that should be a good starter rig.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    Even Adrian Peterson couldn't beat that price with a stick. o:)
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • pjd2011
    @F1nut hmmm, thanks for making me aware of him. Makes me question the background of this thread too. The guy I've been dealing with had a full set of RTi A's "brand new" since the beginning of January. He now only has one Emotiva and the A9's left. Still hasn't provided me with proof of purchase of the items.

Berne, Indiana is just outside of Ft. Wayne and not to be taken the wrong way but the area isn't one where you'd expect to find $4k worth of equipment. He also said he'd be moving two weeks ago and when I contacted him on another number he's still at the same address.

https://fortwayne.craigslist.org/ele/4923365912.html
  • Inspector 24
    So wait, one of the guys selling is this Scott Trigg person? What did he do?
    Up
    LSi15 LSiC - RX-V3000

Down

• EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    That's a screaming deal. I saw it but have no need for them as I love my LSi setup and don't have room for 2 setups.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • pjd2011
    So I'm looking the opposite direction of the A9's now. After researching all week it's just not what I would need. A7's and a used Parasound would be a better match for me and can be found a couple hundred cheaper down the line.

I can either pull the trigger on the RTi 10 5 channel setup for $450 and then buy a used Onkyo NR807 (135w x Channel) taking my total investment to about $600.

Alternatively I'm looking at making a trip to Boston for the LSi 15 and center channel listed in the classifieds. By the time I factor in renting a car and gas, though, it will probably be about $700 altogether for the LSi 15 pair and LSiC.

The LSi setup would be a great entry for me into higher end audio and I can build that system out over time. Until I could find a good amplifier for them I'd be using my little 282 but that would change quick I'm sure :)
  • pjd2011
    The 282 isn't listed as being capable but there's people on Crutchfield who have run 4ohm speakers on it without issue.

I'd be upgrading as soon as I possibly could with the LSi's.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    For music DEFINITELY go for the LSis. Much smoother with more airy and detailed treble. Just be REALLY careful with the volume knob until u get a better amp.
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • EndersShadow
    edited March 2015
    The LSi's are the better deal, but you need to invest in proper power fairly soon. And you wont be able to ever really downsize to "just" a avr. You will ALWAYS need a power amp. Not that its bad, just something to keep in mind.

The RTi's also need power but only to sound "better" not to just "work".. You could also just run a 3 channel amp for the RTi's and leave your surround off the AVR, or even just do a 2 channel amp and let the rest run off the AVR in the future.

That said, if you can do the Boston trip, do it. I have a full LSi HT myself and enjoy it. You'll also get to experience the fun of meeting a forum member (all the guys I've met so far are great)

I (and a couple others have) waffled back and forth with switching our LSi speakers for RTi's but none of us ever have.

My wife loves the looks of the LSi's over the RTi A's. I can listen to them all day long and do with no problem.

So drive to boston, get the LSi's there and then later on down the line snatch up some LSi 7's to wallmount for a 5.1 or 7.1 setup.

Finding a set of LSi f/x's would be like hitting the lottery... I aint never letting mine go thats for sure lol.....
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • pjd2011
    Based on what you guys mentioned I wouldn't use them at all until I could find an appropriate amplifier for them. Say I purchase a Parasound 2 channel amplifier, that'd run me about $400. So for roughly an even $1k I'd have two LSi 15's pushed with 315w from a HCA 1200 ii.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Based on what you guys mentioned I wouldn't use them at all until I could find an appropriate amplifier for them. Say I purchase a Parasound 2 channel amplifier, that'd run me about $400. So for roughly an even $1k I'd have two LSi 15's pushed with 315w from a HCA 1200 ii.

Not so sure the Parasound would be all that great a match for the LSI's. The Parasound is a warmer sounding amp and so are the LSI's, which may give you too warm a combined sound. On the RTI's they work great because they offset each other some.

I would look for something a little more neutral in an amp. Emo may work good with LSI's....Carver/Sunfire....Adcom....for budget amps anyway.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • F1nut
    la2vegas wrote: »
    I'm sorry if I missed something, but isn't there something about not being able to post/purchase prior to reaching the 100 post plateau? Advising the OP to purchase from the forum classified section would be in effect disregarding the long established guidlines. Sorry once again if I'm out of line with my comment.

You are 100% correct.

President of Club Polk

• EndersShadow
    tonyb wrote: »

Not so sure the Parasound would be all that great a match for the LSI's. The Parasound is a warmer sounding amp and so are the LSI's, which may give you too warm a combined sound. On the RTI's they work great because they offset each other some.

I would look for something a little more neutral in an amp. Emo may work good with LSI's....Carver/Sunfire....Adcom....for budget amps anyway.

Think @daboyz can help since he is running a Parasound and LSi setup and seems happy with it.
  • Inspector 24
    I've run my LSi's briefly on a Parasound. They were nice, didn't hear anything lacking detail or overly warm, but I didn't give them much listening time so there's that...
    Up
    LSi15 LSiC - RX-V3000

Down