Amp for my MM6's and dB650's?

2»

Comments

• sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited March 2004
    the first time you came in here where it said location i couldve sworn it said ut, tx
    ut=university of texas
    which is in austin...and ur s/n is austin...sorry bout the confusion
    oo and btw...i really hate my s/n, i need a new one
    -Cody
  • AustinKP
    AustinKP Posts: 861
    edited March 2004
    Cody, you're actually partially right, it used to say UT, US. I changed it once I discovered that there might be some confusion...I never realized that there was a school in Austin. (which, by the way, is not where I got my name, my dad says he just 'thought it up')
    I'm also assuming that s/n = Sign in Name? If you change that, how will we ever know who you are?

Um, I probably don't want to ask, but why does A&M send their fingers to UT? (still don't know if I got that right yet)
    http://www.silverdragon.com/punkie/cybertusk/net.idiot.html - Read it, know it

Alpine 9815
    Polk MM6's in custom fiberglass door pods
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
    HiFonics Zeus ZX6400 - 85x2 + 350x1
    2 Gallons SecondSkin Spectrum V.2
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited March 2004
    Originally posted by AustinKP
    Ok, F-150, and F-150 Lightning? That's almost not even the same truck. Jstas - *just* an F-150 short bed? Seriously...tsk, tsk, tsk. Can't blame your choice of transportation though. I love lightnings.

Well, number one, they are very similar. about 80% fo a Lightning is regular F-150 parts.

Number two, I don't talk about it much because I don't like getting told I am bragging.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited March 2004
    Originally posted by AustinKP

Um, I probably don't want to ask, but why does A&M send their fingers to UT? (still don't know if I got that right yet)

NO! NO! NO! NO!!!!!

OK, lets try it again. Keep in mind the "longhorn" (hook 'em horns) sign the UT students and fans make with their hands in support of their team. (make a fist then unfold your index and pinky finger. 2 horns. Get it?) Now, keeping that in mind and that UT and A&M have been major rivals for decades.

"Do you know what they do with A&M students that cant cut it and flunk out? They cut off their 2 middle fingers (longhorn sign) and send them (the students, not the fingers) to Austin (home of UT)."

OK so the premise being that all the students at UT are rejects that werent good enough to cut it at A&M and the "hook 'em horns" came about because they cut off their fingers.

You sure you didnt go to U.T.? LOL ;)
    Just kidding, its my fault for being such a lousy comedian!
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • AustinKP
    edited March 2004
    MacLeod -

Holy crap! I think I finally understand! Sorry, cause it was probably already painfully obvious to everyone else. For some reason, this whole time I thought you were talking about sending the fingers. Maybe that's why it didn't make a whole lot of sense...:rolleyes: Anyway, now that I understand, I do find that pretty funny, believe it or not. I think that if I understood that UT was actually a school in Austin, TX to begin with, I might have understood the joke. So don't doubt your comedic abilities, I'm sure they're excellent. :D

Alpine 9815
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited March 2004
    he has a great sense of humor
    he makes me laugh everytime he says "you dont really need that much power..."
    :D
    -Cody
  • MacLeod
    edited March 2004
    Originally posted by sntnsupermen131
    he has a great sense of humor
    he makes me laugh everytime he says "you dont really need that much power..."
    :D
    -Cody

ROFLMAO!!!

Im so unappreciated. :D
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • AustinKP
    edited March 2004
    MacLeod -
    You trying to tell me that my HU will be enough then? All this talk about a tube, but I don't even need that much power? Man, if you would have told me that to start with, I could have saved a lot of time wondering about this... :)

Alpine 9815
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
  • MacLeod
    edited March 2004
    Yes actually you dont even need all 4 outputs from your head unit. I think it would be best to run all 4 speakers off of one channel from your HU. That way you can save one of the other channels for the sub and have 2 free to just hang there.

Oh, and Cody; Im just kidding. :D

• sntnsupermen131
    edited March 2004
    Originally posted by MacLeod
    Yes actually you dont even need all 4 outputs from your head unit. I think it would be best to run all 4 speakers off of one channel from your HU. That way you can save one of the other channels for the sub and have 2 free to just hang there.
    wouldnt put it past ya...:D
    I'm like the Tim Allen...MORE POWER AH AH AH AH
    cept I dont break stuff
    I would put more in my truck, but my truck is currently at its "electrical capacity"
    lol
    meaning...more watts...fry alternator amongst other electronics...
    but next summer I'm getting a new truck
    and after i replaced the brakes/wheels/tires and put Second Skin deadening in(equivalent of dynamat), im getting a couple of yellow tops, replacing all the stock wiring, and possibly a bigger alternator
    then...replace amps, replace speakers...all i can say is its going to be effin loud, and im only going to use 10s...MAYBE 12s...but probably 10s(space issue)
    until then, im not eating to save up money...lol
    -Cody
  • MacLeod
    edited March 2004
    Im all for power. Im only saying that you dont have to have 3000 total watts to have a great sounding system. 75 watts to 4 speakers and 400-600 watts to a single sub will provide enough power to push the speakers to ring out their best SQ and will sound great and have plenty of grunt to get loud when it needs to.

• sntnsupermen131
    edited March 2004
    i agree
    every car my family will ever own will have equivalent to DB components up front, DB coaxials in the back, a 100x2 amp
    and a 10" sub comparable to the baby momo with 400 watts of power to it
    but then, my personal vehicle is another story...its going to be LOUD:cool:
    -Cody
  • AustinKP
    edited March 2004
    This thread is probably just about worn out, but I have another question:
    I have a friend who knows a guy (yes, I know, real close relation) who sells amps. Anyway, has anyone ever heard of Power Acoustik and, if so, do they make any resemblance(sp?) of quality amps? I can get a 125Wx4 @ 4ohms RMS amp for $150. Good deal or am I getting what I pay for (read, sucky amp)?

Alpine 9815
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited March 2004
    the highest 4 channel i found for power acoustik is the LT series 964/4 that puts out 100W x 4 Ch. @ 4 Ohms. It says 125W x 4 Ch. @ 2 Ohms. The few numbers they have up are alright, but ive never heard it. it is their newest line tho.
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited March 2004
    soundstream makes a 4 channel thats like 100 or 125 x 4... there are others out there.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • AustinKP
    edited March 2004
    So I should stay away then... I guess I want at least 150W per channel for optimum SQ, right? I hear *many* different answers, depending on who I talk to. I just want to make sure I don't get stuck w/ a monkey crap amp, thinking that I was just getting a great price.

Alpine 9815
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited March 2004
    try us acoustics at crutchfield
    -Cody
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited March 2004
    MTX 502 -- 150 x 2 at 4 ohms... RF 500.1 -- 150-ish by 2 at 4 ohms... the mtx can be had for $199 on sale at circuit ****
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge