SRT SDA Control Center

Options
Hello all,

I am new to the forum, and Polk in general. I had the opportunity to purchase a set of Polk SRT speakers, but it lacks the SDA Control center to mate the subs up with the front arrays.

If anyone has one, highly unlikely, that would like to sell, please PM me.

Thanks in advance,

rbrooks84

Comments

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Welcome, but sadly your one of many looking for that control box. I can't even remember last time I saw one come up for sale here, and I've been around awhile.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • rbrooks84
    Options
    Hello tonyb.

Thank you for providing this information. Would you say purchasing the complete set of 2 subs, 2 satellite array speakers and a center channel for $650 is worth doing without the controller or remote?

Sounds like you are already in line in case one pops up?

rbrooks84
  • tonyb
    Options
    Nope, not in line. Sold off my SRT's long ago but others have been looking for that darn box.

Here's the thing, you need the box to make the whole thing work as intended. Add to that the SRT's are old and replacement parts are going to be hard to come by, as you are seeing with the control box, let alone speaker drivers and built in amps for the subs.

My advice....sell them. Buy some SDA's, 1.2tl's if that sda sound is your pleasure. No control box needed, parts are easier to find too.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • chefkungfu
    Options
    Welcome to the forum rbrooks84...... (the rabbit hole!).
    Just like tonyb said, it's difficult finding parts for the elusive SRT!
    I was/am waiting on 3rd control center box to control the 2 extra subs. Right now they're hooked up to the receiver.
    Tony hit the nail right on the head when he called it "that darn box". That thing is an enigma!
    Good luck on finding it... they do come up every once in while! But is rare.

Frank
    SRT Seismic System with dual PSW1200's
    RT5000 x 2
    RT2000p
    CS400i
    CS350-LS
    LS F/X
    PSW650
    PSW1000 w/Dayton SPA1000
    DSW MicroPro 4000
    Adcom amps
    Pioneer Elite SC-89
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable
    PS4
    XBOX One
    MIT Interconnects
    BJC
  • chefkungfu
    Options
    I just completed my SRT Seimic system. 4 satellites, 4 subwoofers, SRT center w/CS1000 for over under tv placement, and 2 PSW1200 subwoofers. For the rear surround I'm using a spare RT3000p, and the front highs are the FX1000!

I'm currently using both control centers to regulate the subs, and satellites. I'm still waiting on the 3rd control center for use on the dual PSW1200's. The original owner of my first set has to comb through two warehouses in upstate NY, Unfortunately they're suffering from the heavy storm and that's delaying the search... on the flip side, he was able to locate the original owners manual.

It took me a VERY long time to piece that Seismic system together, only difference is, I'm using my 2 PSW1200 instead of the 2 extra SRT subs.

Welcome to the forum, and I wish you luck in finding the control center(s)!
    It's like chasing a unicorn, the system is rare, older, and limited sets were produced.

Frank
    RT5000 x 2
    RT2000p
    CS400i
    CS350-LS
    LS F/X
    PSW650
    PSW1000 w/Dayton SPA1000
    DSW MicroPro 4000
    Adcom amps
    Pioneer Elite SC-89
    PS4
    XBOX One
    MIT Interconnects
    BJC
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Options
    Good god I would pay to see and or listen to that.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• chefkungfu
    Options
    It's extremely loud and the bass will blur your vision! My wife and I mostly watch movies on it, my son is almost 3 and gets scared when the bass hits at first, but he then adjusts to it! We let him watch his Thomas the train movies on it and he enjoys it too! He hears the trains coming from behind him and starts looking around with a big grin on his face!
    Every time I turn it up, the neighbors come over with some tasty libations and we all enjoy it!

Cheers,
    Frank
    RT5000 x 2
    RT2000p
    CS400i
    CS350-LS
    LS F/X
    PSW650
    PSW1000 w/Dayton SPA1000
    DSW MicroPro 4000
    Adcom amps
    Pioneer Elite SC-89
    PS4
    XBOX One
    MIT Interconnects
    BJC
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Options
    It's great to have good neighbors! And they bring tastey treats too! That's great :smile:
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• tonyb
    Options
    chefkungfu wrote: »
    Every time I turn it up, the neighbors come over with some tasty libations and we all enjoy it!

Cheers,
    Frank

Ha....they are slowly poisoning you my friend to avoid jail time. lol
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • rbrooks84
    Options
    I really appreciate everyone chiming in, what a warm welcome!!!

$650 seemed like a good deal, but in retrospect beat up cabinets without the grilles...maybe not such a wise investment after all. Well without the control center I don't really see the point of keeping this setup since I don't have the time or the energy to constantly search for "the unicorn" or replacement parts if something goes wrong. Not to mention the wife wasn't thrilled with the monsters sitting in our garage, and eventually in our house...

thanks

rbrooks84
  • rbrooks84
    Options
    Thanks for the information. Are you saying there is a way to utilize the subs without the SDA. I haven't messed with any of it yet since I was under the impression the subs run full bore without the Control Center in the mix. Would I be able to hook these subs up to the sub out on a receiver and adjust the line level output through the receiver?

Thanks again guys, I am an admitted SRT newb...
  • chefkungfu
    chefkungfu Posts: 638
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Hey rbrooks84, hang on to them for a bit.... you never know a control box may show up. Give it some time, or if you're in a hurry or bummed out, you can sell them for what you paid. Like DSkip said, call it a wash, break even and your wife will be happy again. Sorry you went through all that trouble and can't enjoy them. Just wait a little bit.
    You can even part them out and double your money! IMHO, I would hang on to them for a bit just to see if any control boxes come up. Don't worry about the grills, they look good w/o them too! The cabinets can be touched up, that's not too hard.

My old man was a carpenter for 50yrs, I can give you some advise on how to repair the cabinets. I learned a few tricks from my pops over the years and it paid of when I had to repair some dings in mine!
    If you're close to the sunshine state (Florida), maybe we can work something out if you want to part them out! No more road trips for me, I just came back from Indiana and it was freezing the whole time. It was well worth it for the 2nd SRT. I wish you the best in which path you choose on the SRT's, rbrooks!
    Frank
    RT5000 x 2
    RT2000p
    CS400i
    CS350-LS
    LS F/X
    PSW650
    PSW1000 w/Dayton SPA1000
    DSW MicroPro 4000
    Adcom amps
    Pioneer Elite SC-89
    PS4
    XBOX One
    MIT Interconnects
    BJC
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,533
    Options
    Hey rbrooks84, hang on to them for a bit.... you never know a control box may show up. Give it some time, or if you're in a hurry or bummed out, you can sell them for what you paid. Like DSkip said, call it a wash, break even and your wife will be happy again. Sorry you went through all that trouble and can't enjoy them. Just wait a little bit.
    You can even part them out and double your money! IMHO, I would hang on to them for a bit just to see if any control boxes come up. Don't worry about the grills, they look good w/o them too! The cabinets can be touched up, that's not too hard.

My old man was a carpenter for 50yrs, I can give you some advise on how to repair the cabinets. I learned a few tricks from my pops over the years and it paid of when I had to repair some dings in mine!
    If you're close to the sunshine state (Florida), maybe we can work something out if you want to part them out! No more road trips for me, I just came back from Indiana and it was freezing the whole time. It was well worth it for the 2nd SRT. I wish you the best in which path you choose on the SRT's, rbrooks!
    Frank

Yeah there is a VERY big climate difference between FL and IN right now lol......

"....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • chefkungfu
    Options
    rbrooks84 wrote: »
    Thanks for the information. Are you saying there is a way to utilize the subs without the SDA. I haven't messed with any of it yet since I was under the impression the subs run full bore without the Control Center in the mix. Would I be able to hook these subs up to the sub out on a receiver and adjust the line level output through the receiver?

Thanks again guys, I am an admitted SRT newb...

I'd be too scared to hook them up directly to the receiver. I'm not too sure adjusting the line level output would do anything. I also read on a different thread that they run at full volume. I don't know if that's true or not, about a direct hook up with the receiver. I just know the boxes control all functions of the bass and SDA.
    All of mine are hooked up to the control boxes.

Hang in there rbrooks, you still have a couple of options on the c.o.a. of the SRT's
    Like I said, hang on to them for a bit and take your time! I've waited a few good years until I found the right ones for me. Well worth it! I'm happy and my ears are happy!
    Frank.
    RT5000 x 2
    RT2000p
    CS400i
    CS350-LS
    LS F/X
    PSW650
    PSW1000 w/Dayton SPA1000
    DSW MicroPro 4000
    Adcom amps
    Pioneer Elite SC-89
    PS4
    XBOX One
    MIT Interconnects
    BJC
  • chefkungfu
    Options

Frank

Yeah there is a VERY big climate difference between FL and IN right now lol......

EndersShadow, you got that right! I froze my cojones off on that trip! S.Florida is a little cold for the next two days (67 degrees ) but the temps will be back up in 70-80's this weekend.
    I grew up in Pennsylvania (Poconos) many, many years ago, and been in some cold temps, but I got accustomed to S. Florida weather! Been here since '91.

Frank.
    RT5000 x 2
    RT2000p
    CS400i
    CS350-LS
    LS F/X
    PSW650
    PSW1000 w/Dayton SPA1000
    DSW MicroPro 4000
    Adcom amps
    Pioneer Elite SC-89
    PS4
    XBOX One
    MIT Interconnects
    BJC
  • Gatecrasher
    Gatecrasher Posts: 1,550
    Options
    I just completed my SRT Seimic system. 4 satellites, 4 subwoofers, SRT center w/CS1000 for over under tv placement, and 2 PSW1200 subwoofers. For the rear surround I'm using a spare RT3000p, and the front highs are the FX1000!

I'm currently using both control centers to regulate the subs, and satellites. I'm still waiting on the 3rd control center for use on the dual PSW1200's. The original owner of my first set has to comb through two warehouses in upstate NY, Unfortunately they're suffering from the heavy storm and that's delaying the search... on the flip side, he was able to locate the original owners manual.

It took me a VERY long time to piece that Seismic system together, only difference is, I'm using my 2 PSW1200 instead of the 2 extra SRT subs.

It's like chasing a unicorn, the system is rare, older, and limited sets were produced.

Frank

It doesn't sound like you need three control centers with that set-up in the configuration you have it in. Two are all you need. You can control as many subs as you want from one control center as long as they have coaxial input and output. You only need a control center for each pair of SDA speakers you want to control. Since you only have two pairs of SRT satellites, you really don't need a third control center.

As for the PSW1200 subs, they have their own built-in crossovers plus coaxial inputs. That means you can either run them from one of the regular audio channels on the receiver and control the bass from them manually or use them for LFE output which is what I do with my twin PSW650s. Using a third control center is kind of redundant unless you were going to use them for another pair of SDA type speakers. The control centers won't accomplish anything else that your PSW1200's can't already do on their own.
  • Gatecrasher
    Gatecrasher Posts: 1,550
    Options
    rbrooks84 wrote: »
    Hello tonyb.

Thank you for providing this information. Would you say purchasing the complete set of 2 subs, 2 satellite array speakers and a center channel for $650 is worth doing without the controller or remote?

Sounds like you are already in line in case one pops up?

rbrooks84

I think I saw those SRTs on Craigslist. Were they the ones that were missing the grilles?
  • chefkungfu
    Options

Frank

It doesn't sound like you need three control centers with that set-up in the configuration you have it in. Two are all you need. You can control as many subs as you want from one control center as long as they have coaxial input and output. You only need a control center for each pair of SDA speakers you want to control. Since you only have two pairs of SRT satellites, you really don't need a third control center.

As for the PSW1200 subs, they have their own built-in crossovers plus coaxial inputs. That means you can either run them from one of the regular audio channels on the receiver and control the bass from them manually or use them for LFE output which is what I do with my twin PSW650s. Using a third control center is kind of redundant unless you were going to use them for another pair of SDA type speakers. The control centers won't accomplish anything else that your PSW1200's can't already do on their own.

Hey Gate, It's funny you mentioned that, I was looking at all the wiring and tinkering with everything and I noticed that I can daisy chain the subs together! But yea, your right, either way when that third box finds it's way to me, I can use it as a backup in case one of the other ones have problems. How are you liking your SRT's?

How's it going with the drag car? I'm adding a supercharger to mine. I may sell it after that, I have my eye on a sweet chevelle.
    RT5000 x 2
    RT2000p
    CS400i
    CS350-LS
    LS F/X
    PSW650
    PSW1000 w/Dayton SPA1000
    DSW MicroPro 4000
    Adcom amps
    Pioneer Elite SC-89
    PS4
    XBOX One
    MIT Interconnects
    BJC
  • rbrooks84
    Options
    @ gatecrasher. You are correct, missing grilles and not in great shape. Thanks again for all your information. If you guys ever end up with control center. I'm your guy ;)
  • chefkungfu
    chefkungfu Posts: 638
    edited February 2015
    Options
    ^^^^ Hang in there rbrooks! Hold on to those SRT's. In the meantime, touch up the cabinets!
    Worst case scenario if you can't find a box, touch up the cabinets and resell them.
    But I'm a diehard fan of the SRT's so I would hang on to them.
    I know there are a lot of modern speakers (and the SDA 1.2 that are highly respectable) on the market, some are very expensive and sound really good. But for me and the way my large rectangular living room is set up, they work for my ears! I can honestly say I'm happy with them.
    Gatecrasher is happy with his, and so is Esavinon!! The undisputed king of the Seismic system!
    RT5000 x 2
    RT2000p
    CS400i
    CS350-LS
    LS F/X
    PSW650
    PSW1000 w/Dayton SPA1000
    DSW MicroPro 4000
    Adcom amps
    Pioneer Elite SC-89