Good Inexpensive Headphones for Daughters

Options
scubalab
scubalab Posts: 3,101
Looking for a decent pair of on ear headphones for my daughters. They each recently got a new ipod and iphone, respectively, and I'd like to find a lightweight, comfortable, decent quality pair of headphones for them. Something like the Velodyne vLeve deal at $20 sounds like it would be a good fit. Any recommendations on Sennheiser models? Want something that is somewhat portable (perhaps folding) yet durable.

If any of you see any decent deals, fire me a PM!

I'm tired of them stealing my old Sennheisers and new Polk UF 8000's I picked up during the Friends & Family sale!

Comments

• DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,480
    Options
    Both my boys(8 & 10) have a pair of these amazon.com/Kidz-Gear-Wired-Headphones-Kids/dp/B0007NWL70

Not sure how old your daughters are, but my boys wouldn't know good sound if it slapped them upside the head. That said these sound decent enough for kids & have held up, so far.
  • pongshi
    pongshi Posts: 376
    Options
    Koss Porta Pros sound pretty good. We have 3 sets at home. Durability may be an issue though since they are lightweight and a bit on the flimsy side.
    Living Room
    Parasound Model 2250v2 amplifier
    Parasound P5 preamp
    Turntable 1 - Technics SL-1210Mk2 turntable with Shure V-15 Type III cartridge
    Turntable 2 - Dual 1229 turntable, Dual AS-12 45 RPM stacker, Shure V-15 Type III cartridge
    Schiit Mani Phono Preamp for Turntable 2
    Oppo UDP-205 CD/SACD USB and FLAC duties
    Technics RS-1500US reel to reel
    Polk SDA SRS (2nd Gen) fully modded
  • scubalab
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions! Starting to compile a list. I bought them each a pair of CHEAP headphones a year or two ago from Monoprice - think they were around $7 a pair. BUT, they are PURE GARBAGE.

I also saw Amazon has the vLeve's for around $35. Reading the reviews though, most recommend waiting until they're around $25.

Yeah, I don't think they are at all concerned with great sound, but they do notice the difference (and like it) between the cheaper phones and my nicer ones... Little audiophiles in the making!
  • jeremymarcinko
    jeremymarcinko Posts: 3,785
    edited January 2015
    Options
    These... I bought a black pair for $125 last year and they sound really really good for the money and very well built....stylish too, I guess. Available in white for only $79. Oh yea, it has a mic built into the removable cable as well as a nice carbon fiber looking hard case. My wife actually prefers them to my Polk Buckle headphone. I will agree they are more comfortable.

http://www.amazon.com/Noontec-Adjustable-Headphone-Cellphone-Blackberry/dp/B00DTWHQUS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1422651539&sr=8-2&keywords=noontec+hammo
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,528
    Options
    Polk in ears are decent and not too bad. If you buy off their eBay site your looking at around 30 or less. They are REQUIRED to give you new earpads and whatnot so thats not an issue.

Forget the model numbers but they were good and I could use them without them falling out due to the wrap around deal.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • scubalab
    Options
    Jeremy - they look awesome and I'm sure they'd sound great for the money. Will consider, but might be a little out of my goal price range. Would like to be about half that at the most.
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,480
    Options
    I should also add that the ones I linked supposedly have a lifetime warranty, though I haven't had the need to try & make good on that myself. They also come in a wide variety of girly colors.
  • scubalab
    Options
    Dan - I like in-ears for the portability, but my kids always seem to have a problem getting them to stay put... I'll have to ask them what they prefer!
  • jeremymarcinko
    jeremymarcinko Posts: 3,785
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • scubalab
    Options
    DaveHo wrote: »
    They also come in a wide variety of girly colors.

Hmmm.... that could be a deal breaker for my girly-girls!
  • scubalab
    Options

Those look very nice for the price... and closer to what I'm shooting for!

Thanks everyone so far... my list of possibilities is growing!

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Inexpensive....for your daughter ?

One's that say "do your homework" over and over again.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • RamZet
    RamZet Posts: 792
    Options
    I jumped on that vLeve deal for 22 bucks. They are nice headphones, very light, sound good. They also make a number of skins for them.
    B&W CM9Classé Sigma
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,060
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Those vleve sound like a good deal thier earbuds sound great I'm sure those will do the trick. I got these for my 11 year old grandson he absolutely loves them. I got him a brainwavz acrylic stand to hold them.

I think they sound decent maybe not as portable as you might like but a good deal for thier sound.

http://www.amazon.com/JVC-HAM55X-Quality-Xtreme-Xplosvs-Headphones/dp/B00D07CJQS
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • scubalab
    Options
    Tony - we have no problem getting them to do their homework, but the older daughter has issues with turning it in!!

RamZet - I do like the vLeves for that price. They look nice and compact. Wish I could find a similar deal as I think they'd fit the bill nicely.

Gudnoyez - I did see those in your post about your grandson. They look very nice for the price, but my daughters want smaller, lighter ones. Their friend has the Sennheiser HD219 or HD229, and they really like the size and weight. I think the JVC might be a little too big for what they want.

The Sennheisers are nice at around $35, but the vLeves look like they might be a bit nicer for around the same price...
  • tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,662
    Options
    The iGrado are pretty good for the price.

2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, WAY Silver 3 Ana+ Speaker Cables, WAY Silver 4+ Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • Dabutcher
    Dabutcher Posts: 2,591
    Options
    Monoprice has the DJ style for $22.50. Bulletproof and well reviewed for sound quality. Might be too big though? Good luck. D
    MIT Magnum MH-750, Monster HTS 5100MKII, Sony 77" Class - A80CJ Series - 4K UHD OLED,PS4, Def Tech 15” sub,LSIM 706c, Sunfire Signature Grand 425 x 4,Parasound hca 120, LSiM 702 x 4, Oppo 103D, SDA SRS 1.2, Pioneer Elite SC63 , Pioneer Elite BDP-05 “Why did you get married if you wanted big speakers?”
  • gudnoyez
    Options
    The Vleve are on sale on amazon not for $20 but for $34, I bet the girls would like them.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

• scubalab
    Options
    Dabutcher - yeah, probably too big. They want something smaller for swim meets and traveling. I did get cheap ones from Monoprice that were junk. I'm sure the DJ style are better, but too big.

I did see the vLeves at Amazon. Was hoping to find another deal in the $20's. I'll see if they come down any lower as I'm not in a hurry. For now, they can keep hijacking my Sennheisers...!

Tratliff - I couldn't find the iGrados...
  • tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,662
    Options
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, WAY Silver 3 Ana+ Speaker Cables, WAY Silver 4+ Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • scubalab
    Options
    Any thoughts on the Polk Hinge cans? I saw in Strong Bad's thread that they're on sale for $29.99 (new) at Cowboom with the coupon code Polk21915. I'm thinking these are nicer than the vLeve's which get mixed reviews, but wondering if my girls would like the look of them...

I may just pull the trigger on a pair. I'm very pleased with my UltraFocus Polks that I picked up during the F&F sale. If the Hinge is anywhere near as nice for an on-ear, the price is too good to pass up.
  • jeremymarcinko
    Options
    For under $30 dollars you can't do better.
  • scubalab
    Options
    Awesome. Ordered two pairs. (Had to create a second account to use the coupon again for the second pair...) If they don't like them, my wife and I will have nice on-ear backups!
  • jeremymarcinko
    Options
    I just ordered a pair for the wife.
  • gudnoyez
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I ordered a pair Sunday thought they were the buckles but the hinges at that price will do. I did hear the buckles at best buy when they first came out they were pretty good sounding headphones. If the hinges sound as nice we all will be getting a deal.
    Home Theater

2 Channel

Stuff for the Head

• jeremymarcinko
    Options
    I really like my Buckles. Like every other Polk I have heard they do need a quality source. Listening to Spotify or mp3's on them they can sound dull, but all of my flac files sound great. They also sound much better on my current HTC phone than my previous Galaxy S3. I am fairly confident the wife will like the hinge.