Whiplash

I decided to check out this movie after repeatedly hearing the Oscar buzz surrounding it. So glad I did, great movie and JK Simmons was amazing. Highly recommended!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7d_jQycdQGo
Sean
XboxLive--->avelanchefan
PSN---->Floppa
http://card.mygamercard.net/avelanchefan.png

Comments

• teekay0007
    teekay0007 Posts: 2,289
    I've been wondering if anyone here had seen this. I think I'd like to see it too. Anyone else have any feedback on it?
  • ROHfan
    ROHfan Posts: 1,014
    It's on my short list, for sure. Simmons is nothing but brilliant in any role he plays. Wifey's not sure about seeing it as she says it looks too intense for her.
    TV: 65" Samsung QLED 4K
    Fronts: Energy RC70 --- Center: Energy RC-LCR
    Front Heights: Polk RC65i --- Rears: Polk RC85i --- Sub: Power Sound Audio XS15
    Pioneer VSX-1120K --- Parasound HCA-1000A --- Oppo BDP-103
    Vincent Audio SA31 preamp --- Teac UD301 DAC
    AIYIMA Tube T7 preamp --- Nobsound 12AX7 tube preamplifier
  • simm
    simm Posts: 562
    Looks like a good movie. Will have to check it out.
  • xjghost
    xjghost Posts: 1,080
    It was awesome. Had the ole 3.1's cranked up jamming during the music scenes. I wanted to kill the teacher, aka JK Simmons character, he did a great job. I highly recommend it. Makes me want to get into some Jaz now too.
    HT/2Channel: Emotiva MMC-1, Adcom GFA-555II, Polk SDA 3.1's, Teac TN-300 TT, Polk Center and Sub.

Bedroom system: Carver CT-24, Parasound HCA-800II, Monitor 10's

Additional projects: RTA 12c's
  • Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,842
    "Whiplash" is an enjoyable movie with subject matter -- training and competition among jazz musicians -- that is clearly aligned with my interests and those of many on this Forum.

Therefore, it is definitely worth seeing.

With that said, it is also formulaic. How many movies have we seen over the years that involve a young performer -- dancer, singer, pianist, etc. -- who is fighting tremendous odds in an effort to distinguish himself/herself and move on?

Various John Travolta movies Grease, Saturday Night Fever, Staying Alive), Black Swan, Shine, are the first few that come to my mind.

A plethora of lesser grade movies with the same "plot" structure also crowd the field. These involve dance, cheerleading, and singing competitions, etc.

Given the number of examples of movies in this genre, it takes an extraordinary piece of work to create a new one that rises above the "crowd."

I do not think Whiplash meets this challenge. It is a good movie that is worth seeing, but IMHO it is not an extraordinary production.
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• Polkie2009
    Polkie2009 Posts: 3,834
    edited August 2015
    The thing I liked about Whiplash was that it didn't cheese out and sugar coat like a lot of those other "overcoming the odds, pulling for the underdog" movies. As a musician and big band swing jazz fan, I felt right at home with it all. The music scenes themselves were excellent . I compared JK's character to a Marine D.I. pushing his men to overcome the odds , improvise, be the best, because that's what Marines are. If you aren't a musician or never learned an instrument, this movie probably wouldn't blow your sack back, coining a phrase from our fellow awesome polkster tonyb. :)