Richard Gray 600S & Wiring Management

Options
SCompRacer
SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
edited January 2015 in 2 Channel Audio
I picked up a used Richard Gray 600S from Chris for my gear rack. Thanks Chris! I had the original Shunyata Hydra before. I like passive power conditioning. The original Hydra was basically filled with their patented star or pixie dust. I wanted something a bit more sophisticated but still passive. I love me a nice black background.

gray_1.jpg

gray_2.jpg

rerack.jpg

I also tidied up the wiring at the rear of my rack. I purchased a "net" through a VTI dealer for my VTI BL series rack. The nets or grids are included with the BLG series racks. My newer BL rack had the threaded inserts in the rear so with the supplied hardware it was a bolt on deal. I ordered a second net for a friend who bought my old VTI BL rack. I just have to drill four holes and install some threaded inserts to attach it. The net with hardware was ~ $55. Now when I look from the front I see the net and not wires.

I kept the AC wires to the one side, one DC supply to pre amp on the other side and the signal wiring between them. The white box/wiring is for the multi-color rack lighting. Even the air bearing tone arm air tube is secured. Someday I may get some AC male plugs and shorten them.

rear_rack_2.jpg
Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *

Comments

• EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,531
    Options
    Rich what powercables you running?

PS I am quite jealous, after I turn off the game (likely quite soon) I've got some of my own to do to my HT stuff but it still won't be as clean as yours lol
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • SCompRacer
    Options
    Mostly PS Audio power cables Dan. The Gray uses his power cord. The Krell has a cable I got from Chris. Can't recall name at the moment. It has Furutech plugs and maybe wire.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,531
    Options
    SCompRacer wrote: »
    Mostly PS Audio power cables Dan. The Gray uses his power cord. The Krell has a cable I got from Chris. Can't recall name at the moment. It has Furutech plugs and maybe wire.

Gotcha. Yeah I'd like those A LOT, but Pangea is more in my budget so for my HT that what I went with.

My 2 channel though I might try to keep all PS Audio, we will see.

"....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • drumminman
    drumminman Posts: 3,396
    Options
    The net is a great idea. Never heard of that. Do they come in wider versions that would allow greater separation of cabling?
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills/jantzen inductors, Gimpod's boards, Lg Solen SDA inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR BP's, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheet strips, interior of cabinets sealed with Loctite Power Grab, AI-1 interface with 1000VA A-L transformer
  • SCompRacer
    Options
    drumminman wrote: »
    The net is a great idea. Never heard of that. Do they come in wider versions that would allow greater separation of cabling?

It looks like they do on the double wide BLG series.

m000741190_sc7?$splssku$

I had no hiss or hum issues before or after tidying at full volume no music playing. With my system in the living room, the wife appreciates the neatness. We are empty nesters. Like one young friend with two young boys said, it's nice to visit and see a house decorated with no worries of young ones......lol

• agfrost
    agfrost Posts: 2,421
    Options
    Looks nice, Rich. My solution to the "seeing wires through the rack" issue is to not look through the rack. Not quite as elegant as your solution. That Richard Gray is a handsome unit!
    [ Like one young friend with two young boys said, it's nice to visit and see a house decorated with no worries of young ones......lol

Your friend sounds like a handsome & intelligent guy. ;)
    Jay
    SDA 2BTL * Musical Fidelity A5cr amp * Oppo BDP-93 * Modded Adcom GDA-600 DAC * Rythmik F8 (x2)
    Micro Seiki DQ-50 * Hagerman Cornet 2 Phono * A hodgepodge of cabling * Belkin PF60
    Preamp rotation: Krell KSL (SCompRacer recapped) * Manley Shrimp * PS Audio 5.0
  • SCompRacer
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Thanks Jay!
    agfrost wrote: »

Your friend sounds like a handsome & intelligent guy. ;)

He is! Teaches science to young adults, he does. ;)

Speaking about decorating...the wife was thinking about a new dining room set. Smaller, like a round table instead of the rectangle with two leafs. Our table was 39 years old and needed to be re-veneered. So she was at HomeGoods last Saturday. They had set this Thomasville round table up the night before. It's called the Elba in a Dark Rustico finish from Thomasville's Hills of Tuscany collection. It matches our china hutch and chairs. Got it for $650 plus tax! Never seen anything like this at HomeGoods before. The manager said the same thing. It was in a box so no initials carved in it yet....

Now we can be proper audio nuts of the round table instead of square...lol

round_elba.jpg

round_elba_2.jpg
  • footwedge
    footwedge Posts: 475
    Options
    agfrost wrote: »
    Looks nice, Rich. My solution to the "seeing wires through the rack" issue is to not look through the rack.

Wish I could teach this to the DW.

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Cool looking table Rich, Home Goods is one of my favorite stores to browse.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • SCompRacer
    Options
    Thanks Tony. Even the store manager was surprised to see it show up there. The wife set up a perimeter and woudn't let anyone come near it..mine! lol

Homegoods has some neat stuff for reasonable prices, for sure.
  • tonyb
    Options
    The wife set up a perimeter and woudn't let anyone come near it..mine! lol

Smart lady....she knows the score then at Homegoods. Judging by the design in the wood, looks to be an original one of a kind piece. You might want to look into getting a glass top made for that nice round table, for that drunk Polkie who comes over and drags his beer can on the top.......no, not me....just sayin'. lol
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • SCompRacer
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    Smart lady....she knows the score then at Homegoods. Judging by the design in the wood, looks to be an original one of a kind piece. You might want to look into getting a glass top made for that nice round table, for that drunk Polkie who comes over and drags his beer can on the top.......no, not me....just sayin'. lol

She has quite good taste. Don't know how I made it into the picture 41 years ago...

The table is actually still in production. I'm sure grain pattern will vary. Listed price at stores is $3K to $3500 depending what neighborhood you're in. They offer a lighter color version too. They must have gotten some warehouse buyout or store closure inventory.

The wife is going to order one of them thick felt backed mats like we had for the other table. They prevent heat and other incidents from getting to the finish. We have one table here where a hot coffee cup created a whitish ring under the sealed finish. Jesse gave me some tips on how to fix it but fearful of doing more damage.

Carl and Aaron already dibbed putting intials in it. The wife says there is arse whippins for anyone that pulls a knife out...lol.
  • tonyb
    Options
    Cool man...my table is rectangular made by the Amish with those signature hour glass imbeddings on the ends. Built like a brick you know what house. Got a weird shape to it, kinda curved on the sides so finding something other than a table cloth is hard .

You have leather chairs with that new baby ?

Carl and Aaron....more likely than not expect some chewing gum underneath. lol
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • SCompRacer
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    Cool man...my table is rectangular made by the Amish with those signature hour glass imbeddings on the ends. Built like a brick you know what house. Got a weird shape to it, kinda curved on the sides so finding something other than a table cloth is hard .

You have leather chairs with that new baby ?

Carl and Aaron....more likely than not expect some chewing gum underneath. lol

The wife was talking about an Amish table. Man, that has to be top drawer.

No leather chairs, just the old cloth ones which are in fine shape. Wife needs to get a good job for the leather chairs. Like $800 each list.