Electric bill settle up for 2014 after solar panel installation

Got the 'settle up' bill from SDG&E for our electric bill for all of 2014 after our solar panel installation.

$8.27!

We sized our system to generate darn near what we used for all of 2014.

Love it.

H9: If you don't trust what you are hearing, then maybe you need to be less invested in a hobby which all the pleasure comes from listening to music.

Comments

• Sounds like you need an amp upgrade.
  • WagnerRC
    WagnerRC Posts: 2,151
    congratulations. we are loving our system too. Your post made me finally do it. Thanks again.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Mine was a little over $100 for the year. This year I am turning the Pass amps off when not in use, versus turning them on Friday morning, and leaving on until Sunday night. Plus during the winter, when less power is generated, I am using the HT/surround system during the week.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Erik Tracy
    Erik Tracy Posts: 4,673
    WagnerRC wrote: »
    congratulations. we are loving our system too. Your post made me finally do it. Thanks again.

Cool!

Ain't it nice to not have to fret and wring your hands on whether to run the AC during the summer?

H9: If you don't trust what you are hearing, then maybe you need to be less invested in a hobby which all the pleasure comes from listening to music.
  • WagnerRC
    edited September 2015
    I received our first year net metering rebate check from our provider. $4,919.00 that is after another $2,750.00 in power reduction. GO SOLAR! payback is better than expected.
  • Msabot1
    Msabot1 Posts: 2,098
    I received our first year net metering rebate check from our provider. $4,919.00 that is after another $2,750.00 in power reduction. GO SOLAR! payback is better than expected.

Interesting!..what part of the country do you live and what were the initial costs to get the system on line??...
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,648
    That's impressive but unfortunately not a viable option where I live. The cost analysis I did for the beer distributorship I worked for to get them on solar power factored out at around 50 years to pay for itself. The same sized distributor in Texas, 5 years.

Wind power on the other hand is very viable here and every week more and more turbines go up.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • WagnerRC
    We live in Washington state and the initial cash outlay was just under 40k. I also took the 30% federal write off last year. We have a great program here if you purchase panels and inverters mfg in WA the payback is sweet!
  • BlueFox

Something is wrong, unless you installed a 100 GW system, but only consume 1 KW. The solar company should look at your previous year electrical usage, and provide a system that will break even. I guess I could turn my backyard into a solar farm.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • WagnerRC
    The utility even pays me for the power we consume.
  • WagnerRC
    We installed a 10kW system. That is the max limit to receive the paybacks
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,947
    edited September 2015
    We live in Washington state and the initial cash outlay was just under 40k. I also took the 30% federal write off last year. We have a great program here if you purchase panels and inverters mfg in WA the payback is sweet!

40K ??

So lets say my average monthly electric bill is 100 bucks....which it is. That's 1200 bucks a year. It would take me 33 years to recoup that 40k. Longer than my mortgage. If I took that 40k and just let it sit in stocks for 33 years, I betcha I'd be a heck of a lot better off at the end.

Now if you spent the 40k, to save yourself 100 bucks a month, what would most do with that extra 100 bucks a month ? Spend it ? So at the end of 33 years, they have zero additional for retirement and Fancy out of date solar systems to show for it ? If I was a financial planner and told you to give me 40k, and you'd have to wait 33 years to see any gains.....you'd tell me to go fly a kite.

I dunno man, I'd rather take the 40k and let it ride in the markets than save the 100 bucks a month. That's just me though, your mileage may vary.

If the electric companies want to use your home to funnel electricity to them, shouldn't they pay you for the panels/installations and service ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Erik Tracy
    Erik Tracy Posts: 4,673
    Every situation will be different for deciding to go with solar and how big of a system to get.

For us, we sized our system to juuustt about match typical monthly usage.

Our system was $19K installed. We then got 30% Fed credit and that was a sizable amount to help offset some Roth conversions we did that year. We also got a $1k CA state rebate.

After tax credit and rebate, I calculated that we would break even in 8 years and after that we come out ahead.

Our plans are to stay in the house for as long as we can, so given the life of the panels of 25 years (per warranty) we come out ahead $40K and that assumed NO rate increases (which we all know is fantasy) so the savings are even more in the long run.

That and we got instant equity appreciation of our home cuz the solar install is paid for, not leased, and would be an instant savings for any new owner (IF we decided to sell).

We thought 'long run' and so the numbers crunched out that solar made sense.

And we get the 'feel good' of saving baby dolphins.

• Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,843
    edited September 2015
    BlueFox wrote: »
    Mine was a little over $100 for the year. This year I am turning the Pass amps off when not in use, versus turning them on Friday morning, and leaving on until Sunday night. Plus during the winter, when less power is generated, I am using the HT/surround system during the week.

This is "penny-wise and sound-foolish IMHO! :)

Seriously, however, how much did you have to invest in the solar system you installed?
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• BlueFox
    My solar was $23k, and I paid 16k after the federal tax credit. That was two years ago, and my break even point is a bit less than five years.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • BlueFox wrote: »
    My solar was $23k, and I paid 16k after the federal tax credit. That was two years ago, and my break even point is a bit less than five years.

@BlueFox,

Thank you.

That's exactly the information I was looking for. Electricity prices in New Hampshire are high, but sunshine is not as plentiful or dependable as it was in California. I don't know how cost effective a solar system would be in this area.

Recently, however, I've been getting a lot of calls from those marketing these systems.
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• WagnerRC
    Run the numbers make your choice. I know my payback will be less than 6 years. I had cash for the system and our house faces south with sun up to dawn. It was a no brainer to invest with payback. The only downside is I try to save even more energy. Solar may not be for everyone but our power bill was never 100.00!month. Come on post your bills. Time for tunes
  • BlueFox
    When I decided to have solar installed I had just received my July 2013 electric bill. It was $400 just for electricity that month. My amps arrived the first weekend of that month so the electric was for between 2-3 weeks of using the amps. Of course, to use the amps the AC had to constantly run to keep the house cool. I freaked out, and decided to get solar. My settle up occurs in end of September. Last year I had to pay around $120 for a year of electricity ($10/month), and it looks to be around the same this year. A small price to pay for good music in a cold house. :)

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • dpowell
    dpowell Posts: 3,067
    Erik, so cool that they system is doing exactly what it was designed to do!

I installed a 9.1kWH system which was the max one inverter could handle. Just over $14k up front on a 20 year pre-paid lease with no per-kWH charges. We switched reduced usage of our central propane furnace to bare minimum and switched to electric radiator heaters. While we still have a true-up of $500 - $700 per year, we are saving an additional $1,000 on propane costs each year. Break-even on the system is in 4.5 years from install and the panel manufacturer must maintain/warranty the system for 20 years.

Solar is the way to go in So Cal....although I'm hearing from friends that going solar now is a much less economically attractive proposal than it was 3 years ago and the power companies in CA have successfully lobbied to eliminate net metering. This will allow the power companies to receive all of the kWH a system produces but only have to provide a fraction of the power back to the customer and charge them for the rest.

polkaudio Fully Modded SDA SRS 1.2TLs + Dreadnaught, LSiM706c, 4 X Polk Surrounds + 4 X ATMOS, SVS PB13 Ultra X 2, Pass Labs X1, Marantz 7704, Bob Carver Crimson Beauty 350 Tube Mono Blocks, Carver Sunfire Signature Cinema Grande 400x5, ADCOM GFA 7807, Panasonic UB420, Moon 380D DAC, EPSON Pro Cinema 6050