Giving blood....oops!

Options
So my new guy, a young and motivated fresh college grad, donated blood for the first time today. He comes back into the office a couple of hours ago from the bloodmobile with a very blank look on his face. Then he stumbles and I say, "hey man, you doing OK?" To which his only reply was to pass out and slam his face into the corner of his desk.

I tried to be super cool about it, as a friend of mine was an Army medic, and explained in great detail "mental first aid" to me. But there was a good 20 seconds or so where panic tried to take over.

So the poor guy is now at the ER, getting some pre-Christmas stitches in his face. Sounds like this is his first and last time giving blood. I guess he got a free extra 1/2 day for Christmas anyway. And no damage to his eye or teeth, or it could have been much worse.

I can't even give blood, as I lived in England for too long in the 80's (something about mad cow disease...), but a little "excitement" on my last day in the office prior to Christmas anyway.
2007 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

2010 Club Polk Fantasy Football Champ

2011 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!"

Comments

• boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,453
    Options
    Ouch
    Randy/Maine
  • maximillian
    maximillian Posts: 2,142
    Options
    When I gave blood for the first time I was cool about it but the nurses saw that my face was white. So they immediately put me on a gurney and gave me cookies and juice. After 30 minutes I was better. They wouldn't let me go until my color was back. Did they not see this with your friend?
  • jflail2
    jflail2 Posts: 2,868
    Options
    When I gave blood for the first time I was cool about it but the nurses saw that my face was white. So they immediately put me on a gurney and gave me cookies and juice. After 30 minutes I was better. They wouldn't let me go until my color was back. Did they not see this with your friend?

Yea.....I think they let him go too early to be honest. He said he was feeling fine when he left the bloodmobile, but started feeling dizzy in the elevator. Either way, I'm glad his eyeball didn't explode or something else crazy. Turns out it was 5 stitches total, so it could have been much worse!
    2007 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

2010 Club Polk Fantasy Football Champ

2011 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!"
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    I don't give blood, I worked too darn hard ruining it the way I like. Besides.....I hate needles something awful. Like Indiana Jones was with snakes.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable