SENIORS & COMPUTERS

SENIORS & COMPUTERS

As we older folks know, sometimes we have trouble with our computers.

Yesterday, I had a problem, so I called George, the 11 year old next door, whose bedroom looks like Mission Control, and asked him to come over.

George clicked a couple of buttons and solved the problem.

As he was walking away, I called after him 'So,what was wrong?

He replied, 'It was an ID ten T error.'

I didn't want to appear stupid, but nonetheless inquired, 'An, ID ten T error? What's that?

'George grinned...'Haven't you ever heard of an ID ten T error before?

'No,' I replied.

'Write it down,' he said, 'and I think you'll figure it out.'

So I wrote down:

ID10T
If you can't hear a difference, don't waste your money.

Comments

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,946
    Ha...good one. Though at my age I don't need a computer to make myself feel like an idiot at times.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,580
    tonyb wrote: »
    Ha...good one. Though at my age I don't need a computer to make myself feel like an idiot at times.

Another one is PEBCAK.....

Problem Exists Between Chair And Keyboard.

One day I will be one of those people myself so I cant say much. Besides my little side business at work of fixing people's personal computers helps me pay for things, so don't bite the hand that feeds :smiling_imp:

"....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • seabeerob213
    seabeerob213 Posts: 1,840
    edited December 2014
    That joke is almost as old as you aree
    2 Channel(work in progress):DAC: Schiit modi 2 uberAmp:Parasound 1200 MK IISub:RBH 1010-SEP Speakers: Monitor 5A peerlesscurrently running some krk rokit 3g since the HK pre outs died and i need to start breaking everything down to move in a couple monthsHeadphones:Source: tidalDAC: schiit modius epre: schiit sysAmp: AQ dragonfly black/ schiit magni2 Cans: Velodyne V-True, Grado SR225i, sennheiser x drop gaming headsetPC:DAC: schiit modius e(over spdif)pre: schiit sysspeakers: prenous eris 5 xtSub: Earthquake Sound MiniMe-P63most of my comments are passing on of info, im a noob, im just trying to help how i can, if im wrong or out of place to comment, dont hesitate to let me know :)"WITH WILLING HEARTS AND SKILLFUL HANDS, THE DIFFICULT WE DO AT ONCE, THE IMPOSSIBLE TAKES A BIT LONGER, WITH COMPASSION FOR OTHERS. WE BUILD - WE FIGHT FOR PEACE WITH FREEDOM"Seabee Memorial, Arlington, VA
  • Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,843
    edited December 2014
    I worked directly for Steve Jobs for three years.

He had a different take on "geeks" who came up with ways to denigrate users who suffered problems because of their lack of knowledge of the niceties of computers.

Steve's design parameters:

If a user couldn't make the computer work right out of the box -- without reading a manual and studying computer science -- the engineer who designed the product was at fault, not the user. The engineer who designed the product was the idiot.

If the computer froze or crashed, and the user couldn't "fix" the problem intuitively on the first or second try, then the engineers who designed the problem were idiots, not the user.

That's what differentiates Macs from Windows products.

Just my humble opinion! :)
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• EndersShadow
    edited December 2014

He had a different take on "geeks" who came up with ways to denigrate users who suffered problems because of their lack of knowledge of the niceties of computers.

If a user couldn't make the computer work right out of the box -- without reading a manual and studying computer science -- the engineer who designed the product was at fault, not the user. The engineer who designed the product was the idiot.

If the computer froze or crashed, and the user couldn't "fix" the problem intuitively on the first or second try, then the engineers who designed the problem were idiots, not the user.

I agree, but you pay a premium for that kind of workmanship that many people dont want to pay, and given that most elementary/high schools & even college's (when I was in them) used Windows, many dont want to have to re-learn a diff OS which takes getting used to.

I dont fault Apple for that at all, their ecosystem works quite well for the end user, but it comes at a price many people just dont want to pay, with being forced to do things differently than you have for years, and you also lock yourself into hardware that isnt easy to upgrade if thats even possible.

That said even Apple can't design everything to work right (antenna-gate anyone :smile: )
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • maximillian
    maximillian Posts: 2,142
    Ever worked with SAP? How about Lotus Notes (versions from 4-5 years ago)? LN isn't bad, but they definitely break conventional UI design. SAP's UI design is proof that Ebonia exists.
  • Moose68Bash

I agree, but you pay a premium for that kind of workmanship that many people dont want to pay, and given that most elementary/high schools & even college's (when I was in them) used Windows, many dont want to have to re-learn a diff OS which takes getting used to.

I dont fault Apple for that at all, their ecosystem works quite well for the end user, but it comes at a price many people just dont want to pay, with being forced to do things differently than you have for years, and you also lock yourself into hardware that isnt easy to upgrade if thats even possible.

That said even Apple can't design everything to work right (antenna-gate anyone :smile: )

I understand.

However, if a buyer chooses to purchase a lower-priced product and then experiences difficulties using it because engineers did not take the extra care to design it for use by "mere mortals" (to borrow Steve's words), hasn't the purchaser made a choice to save money and then, perhaps, pay the price difference in the inconvenience of dealing with problems as they arise after the initial purchase?

It strikes me as unreasonable to complain about the higher dollar-cost of Apple products based on the rationale that they should cost no more than Widows-based products. In my opinion, the inconvenience of Windows products, in the end, costs far more than the incremental initial cost of Apple products.

There are R&D and manufacturing costs associated with designing products for ease of use, reliability, and durability, and some buyers are willing to pay for them; others prefer to roll the dice and, perhaps, pay more in the long run for an initially cheaper product.

Apple has, indeed, made mistakes, as you say ("antenna-gate"). But in my experience, they have also been very quick to remedy them. I've also experienced various failures of Apple products over the last two decades, but Apple has always taken care of them in ways that are simple, straightforward, and free or inexpensive.

An extreme example: I purchased a new, but discontinued MacBook Pro from MacMall. When I first booted it, I was instructed to update the firmware, which I promptly did. When the firmware update was complete, the MacBook Pro was dead. I complained to Apple. They sent me a new, latest-and-greatest version of the Mac Book Pro I had purchased through MacMall -- FOR FREE.

I am not an Apple fanatic. I'm just a buyer who wants simplicity, reliability and durability. I've owned or used HP, Toshiba, Dell, and IBM computers over the years, and while Apple is not perfect, Apple products have always served me well and have been head-and-shoulders over the competition at any given point in time.

With that said, because Steve stuck to his proprietary hardware/software philosophy for so many years, Windows products came to dominate the markets for a wide range of applications -- engineering, finance, etc. For users in those arenas, Windows became the only viable choice.

Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• EndersShadow
    edited December 2014

I understand.

However, if a buyer chooses to purchase a lower-priced product and then experiences difficulties using it because engineers did not take the extra care to design it for use by "mere mortals" (to borrow Steve's words), hasn't the purchaser made a choice to save money and then, perhaps, pay the price difference in the inconvenience of dealing with problems as they arise after the initial purchase?

It strikes me as unreasonable to complain about the higher dollar-cost of Apple products based on the rationale that they should cost no more than Widows-based products. In my opinion, the inconvenience of Windows products, in the end, costs far more than the incremental initial cost of Apple products.

There are R&D and manufacturing costs associated with designing products for ease of use, reliability, and durability, and some buyers are willing to pay for them; others prefer to roll the dice and, perhaps, pay more in the long run for an initially cheaper product.

We are still in agreement. Most users trade the convience for the cost and simply dont realize thats what they are doing. I totally understand where the premium comes from, and agree its worth some sort of value, simply that many users dont want to pay for it, and as such go with a Windows PC and deal with those issues when/if they arise. Windows has gotten better about those issues but you may occasionally have problems that require time and possibly money to fix.

Or the user is someone with knowledge of how to upgrade a computer (like a desktop) and is capable of fixing those issues on their own so that doesn't factor in for them.

Anyway we digress.
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited December 2014
    I agree as well. And though not yet a senior, I'm getting closer and closer. But hey, guys. We saw the very first PCs. We had to suffer through DOS, floppies, partitions, and more. Then some of us bought our first Macs and wooh...a MOUSE! What's that? I remember doing my first MOUSE tutorial in the late '80s. I also worked Beta testing Apple Programs during that time and had my "revenge" as I was able to bring the program down at least once every time I showed up for work to the chagrin of the programmers, they didn't like me so much because the program was always "almost ready" for prime time.

Computers are NOT my field. And there are things about Windows that can be maddening. But as Enders says above, the new OSs are more and more reliable even if they require a little more exploration time to use, like W 8.1. I can't conceive of a time when I will not be able to maneuver on "any" platform even if I make it to my 90s? Let's be a little honest, we are the "first" generation to have gone from no PCs to touch screens, iphones, and 24/7 internet access. This is not what our parents experienced. We were probably in our 20s when PCs hit the market, 30s by the time Apples took off, 40s or 50s when the cell phone revolution hit, etc. We've been constantly forced to ADAPT, change whereas newer generations simply have no history or past. I am reminded of that Asimov story (The Feeling of Power) where the main character is investigated by the authorities because he can do math problems without a calculator and NO ONE else can do that. Historical memory is NOT a bad thing. Just because your teenager can TEXT faster than you does not mean you are "being left behind"! lol

Technology does not cause most of us would be geezers much anxiety, especially if we are in professions where we constantly need PCs, etc. to do our "work". Even if that work is not in computer science. Then there are the lifetime "geeks" like my friend who has an M.S. from RPI and is still a PC wizard who is much sought after even though he's in his mid 50s? Heck, he's the guy "I" call when I hit the wall, and he usually walks me through it in a matter of minutes.

Besides, haven't you heard the Maxim: use it or lose it, that applies to body and mind!

We're also moving toward an age that's like a SCI-FI dream come true. Where we are already "conversing with the ship's computer"? Not that far from a future where Asimov will be proven right as everyone will be so dependent on their DEVICE that they probably won't know how to do some "fundamental" things! But some of us old Bastages will "remember"!

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • cincycat13
    cincycat13 Posts: 882
    edited December 2014
    A Senior Trying To Set A Password

WINDOWS: Please enter your new password.

USER: cabbage

WINDOWS: Sorry, the password must be more than 8 characters.

USER: boiled cabbage

WINDOWS: Sorry, the password must contain 1 numerical character.

USER: 1 boiled cabbage

WINDOWS: Sorry, the password cannot have blank spaces.

USER: 50bloodyboiledcabbages

WINDOWS: Sorry, the password must contain at least one upper case character.

USER: 50BLOODYboiledcabbages

WINDOWS: Sorry, the password cannot use more than one upper case character consecutively.

USER: 50BloodyBoiledCabbagesShovedUpYourAssIfYouDon'tGiveMeAccessNow!

WINDOWS: Sorry, the password cannot contain punctuation.

USER: ReallyPissedOff50BloodyBoiledCabbagesShovedUpYourA$$IfYouDontGiveMeAccessNow
    WINDOWS: Sorry, that password is already in use.
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,733
    ^^Funny stuff right there^^
  • Moose68Bash
    Just for the record, I'm past geezer status and relish the privilege that gives me to be a curmudgeon! :)

• voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    I seen a carton in a magazine where a man was on the computer and it was asking for a password, so he thought a minute and then type PEN IS and the computer came back saying I'm sorry but your password is to short!
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • decal
    decal Posts: 3,205
    voltz wrote: »
    I seen a carton in a magazine where a man was on the computer and it was asking for a password, so he thought a minute and then type PEN IS and the computer came back saying I'm sorry but your password is to short!

Now that's funny!!!!!!
    If you can't hear a difference, don't waste your money.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    I like the scene in one of the Star Trek movies where they went back in time to save a whale, and Scotty is using a Mac. He is talking to it, and nothing is happening. Finally, somebody helpfully hands him the mouse, which he then uses like a microphone, and says 'Computer' into it.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.