XM radio...

sntnsupermen131
sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
edited February 2004 in Car Audio & Electronics
...is now commercial free, and with the addition of two more alternative rock stations...i frickin love it
-Cody
Post edited by sntnsupermen131 on

Comments

• PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited February 2004
    blow me...

((( i secretly want xm )))
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited February 2004
    yeah i feel sorry for all those people that got sirius b/c they were commercial free and are payig almost $40 more a year
    it would SUCK to be those people:D
    you dont have sirius do you vince?;)
    -Cody
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited February 2004
    ... your mamma.

... only thing i got goin for me now is the damn cute little doggy logo -- other than that sirius aint that phat no more -- they cut most of the good stations, replaced them with crap.

i wonder if XM would give me a free tuner if i switched over and traded in my sirius tuner.
  • TrappedUnder Ice
    TrappedUnder Ice Posts: 975
    edited February 2004
    HEhe....I've had XM for almost couple of years now...gotta love it. I still have my friends who laugh cause I pay for radio...but then I ask them if they have cable or satellite at home... Whats the diff...except xm dont have comercials :)
    + the unrated comedy channel is a riot:p
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited February 2004
    yea channel 150 is the unrated comedy channel and its hilarious...
    but i always catch it like halfway in the middle of the joke...then have to wait 2 or 3 minutes for the next guy to come on...never fails...
    -Cody
  • TheAudioSpectru
    TheAudioSpectru Posts: 57
    edited February 2004
    I heard sirius has a **** station or two...what's up with that huh...im not going to promote that kinda stuff huh...
  • TrappedUnder Ice
    edited February 2004
    LMAO.... well..its bad enough they have a Nascar station! I mean...rednecks unite!!!!!!:rolleyes:
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited February 2004
    channel 144...i listen to that too...im going to texas motor speed way in march for the race
    -Cody
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited February 2004
    So what is the purpose of satelite radio for everyone?

'Cause I don't see the need for it. Then again, I live in the greater metropolitan Philadelphia area, land of the radio stations. Between the stronger stations from New York and the many many stations from Philly and teh surrounding area, you can't go more than 3 frequencies up or down the FM band without hitting a radio station.

Aside from the sometimes annoying commercials, they all play stuff that is worth listening to and rarely get overly repetative. On top of that, we have everything from classical, jazz and blues stations to rap, top 40 and country. The classical station even plays opera from time to time and one station has days where they play nothing but Frank Sinatra. We are also blessed with about 7 rock stations, 3 of which are classic rock. A couple of easy listening stations, 3 "oldies" stations, 2 all news/weather channels and even 3 sports channels which very rarely mention anything about NASCAR.

So aside from travelling out of the area, I don't see a benefit to satelite radio other than no commercials.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited February 2004
    Well, some people arent as blessed with as many radio stations...
    i have 2 rock stations, 2 rap, 4 country, 1 classic rock, 2 umm..."light rock" and alternative stations
    but with XM, its SOOO much clearer than FM
    just about cd quality
    i do travel, not a lot, but enough to where it comes in handy...and its only 10.81 a month
    so its not bad
    plus, you can get it for a year, or 2 yrs, or 10, or whatever, pay it all up front, and youll get a discount, depending on how many years you pay for
    -Cody
  • TrappedUnder Ice
    edited February 2004
    TX....we have wide open spaces...I mean...I travel 30 miles and I am no where out of my city! XM not for all..If you are only in the vehicle 5-15min here and there....Probably a waste of money IMO

but when you drive like I do...and have a crapy rear window antenna..... XM is a beautiful thing

also...you cant compare the sound quality of FM to XM...thats like comparing Tape (fm) to CD's (xm):cool:
  • Jstas
    edited February 2004
    What kind of tape?

I can show you tapes of music that I have that will annihilate CD's in sound quality.

The only limitation I see around here to FM radio aside from some static every so often is that the FM band only carries from about 30 Hz to 18 kHz and a CD will typical run the gamut from 20-20,000 Hz. I realize that most CD's will carry much more in the way of frequencies, but most CD player's have DACs that will only do 20 Hz to 20 kHz because of the bitrate and bandwidth of the conversion circuitry.

Beyond that, the sound quality of the FM stations around here is pretty damn good. It is not as clean as a CD and often times, the DJ's over-boost the bass and treble for the broadcast but over all, it isn't any worse than a good quality vinyl LP.

• TrappedUnder Ice
    edited February 2004
    I wonder...sometimes? anyway- FM is just inferior. You might have some Tapes that can have good sound...but that is like .1% fo the 99.9% of the tapes that suck! (cass: not reel to reel)

If you think FM sounds close to XM sat- you either cant hear or someones system ...be it yours or whom ever you heard XM on sux...:p
  • Jstas
    edited February 2004
    You're an arrogant ****, ain't ya?

Ever heard of digital audio tape? It's a 4mm cassette tape, not a reel to reel. Hasn't caught on because the tapes and drives are expensive. Most places use them for data backup and mastering recordings. You can pick up a drive pretty cheaply at an electronics flea market though. But a 10 pack of tapes will cost you a few more dollars.

Now, on to the point where you cannot read. I did not compare FM radio to XM. I compared it to a CD. Wanna go back and read it again? I also said that it was not as good as a CD. Maybe you really should read the post again. Lastly, I never said XM radio sucks. I asked what the motivation behind it was. YOU mentioned sound quality and all I said was that the FM stations in this area were really not all that bad. So now, by inference from your arrogant ****, I now say that XM sucks and FM rules. According to you I also cannot hear and my stereo sucks.

Good case there Sherlock.

You want to know the truth? I have yet to hear anything on XM outside of one of those stupid little "boombox" units at a store. Not really anything to judge SQ. Consequently I have not made a comment about the SQ of XM, only the observations I have made about the SQ of my local FM stations. But you, in your infinite retardation, have totally jumped the gun with you panties in a bunch and made slanderous accusations against me just to try and make me look like the idiot that you are.

• jamas33
    jamas33 Posts: 89
    edited February 2004
    now now now now.. Play nice
    Equipment List:
    Head Unit: Kenwood Excelon XXV-005
    Planet Audio P13.3
    Ipod 60 GB
    XBox
    AMPS:
    Kicker KX1200.1
    Kicker KX850.4
    Speakers:
    Front: Kicker RS65
    Rear: Kicker RS65
    Rear Deck: Pioneer 4x10 (AAARGH)
    Subs: 2 Kicker 15L7

my car: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/571313
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited February 2004
    sirius sounds like bad quality mp3's.... its like tape quality i guess... maybe worse.
  • TrappedUnder Ice
    edited February 2004
    well the fact that you said FM in your area was excellent. I really meant comparing Tape to CD...however...do you have a DAT player in your vehicle?
    Just curious.

Yes Dat is great. When my band did studio work...Our final cut was done on DAT...but you still havet to ff/rw and all that bs like a tape!

not practical these days for car!!! smart ****....I have not used XM at home...wich I would love...but I'm not ready to pay for it in home use also
  • TrappedUnder Ice
    edited February 2004
    Vinnie...My Alpine XM system sounds real close to CD's... I really love it. big bonus is the lack of hiss....some stations do sound better then others. that is obvious
  • Jstas
    edited February 2004
    Originally posted by TrappedUnder Ice
    Yes Dat is great. When my band did studio work...Our final cut was done on DAT...but you still havet to ff/rw and all that bs like a tape!

not practical these days for car!!! smart ****....I have not used XM at home...wich I would love...but I'm not ready to pay for it in home use also

Uhhh, I wouln't have mentioned it if I didn't use it. I helped a friend install 200 gigs of hard drive space in his car for MP3's and a controller for a DAT drive. He built the LCD display system and we fit all of it into the glovebox and DIN dash space in his Eagle Talon. In fact, we used one of the first Serial ATA controllers on the market. It's a shame the car got totalled 2 years ago. He still has all the equipment and this spring, when the weather warms up, it's going into his Integra.

It may not be practical but it is far from impossible. It's actually pretty easy to do and the sound quality in a car compared to CD's skipping over every bump and crappy DAC's in head units makes the extra effort worth it. Not to mention, you can fit a couple hours worth of music on a DAT tape where as most CD's will only do 70 minutes max.