Amp fan needed?

ithaca00
ithaca00 Posts: 19
edited February 2004 in Car Audio & Electronics
Hey everyone! I'm going to build a box for my amp (JBL BP1200.1) so that I can mount it in my car and I'm concerned about the amp's temperatures.

If I make some vents in the box, will the amp be safe? Or should I go ahead and put fans in?

If I need fans, how do I go about wiring them? Can I use computer fans?
Post edited by ithaca00 on

Comments

• sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited February 2004
    fans can never hurt...
    as far as temperatures, im not sure how how JBL amps get...if it was a RF amp, id say yes
    im not sure how 12v fans differ from computer fans so i cant tell you there
    as far as hooking it up, i would try to hook it up with the remote lead on the amp, that way when ur amp turns on the fan turns on...but im not sure if thats possible, im sure the fans designed for amps have something like that available
    that or you could run your power wire straight to it, and have a switch to turn it on manually
    -Cody
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited February 2004
    ... um how about not putting a class D 1 ohm stable amp that is going to get hot as a mother f##### inside of a box.... that might be better.

just a thought.

if you do put it in a box, then may i suggest nailing it shut and burying it six feet under, cuz you'll be killing it.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • ithaca00
    edited February 2004
    Originally posted by PoweredByDodge
    ... um how about not putting a class D 1 ohm stable amp that is going to get hot as a mother f##### inside of a box.... that might be better.

just a thought.

if you do put it in a box, then may i suggest nailing it shut and burying it six feet under, cuz you'll be killing it.

Well, ideally, I wouldn't want to put it in a box but seeing as how I use my trunk a lot, I want to protect my amp from any unnecessary abuse (e.g. that of the non electrical kind).

So, rather than piss and moan about me trying to protect my equipment, why don't you offer up a suggestion as to how I could go about doing so safely? :rolleyes:
  • dougie07
    dougie07 Posts: 53
    edited February 2004
    just an idear...leave the sides of the box open, and just have support posts on each of the corners. that may provide enough cooling for the amp, as well as protect it.

Doug
  • ithaca00
    edited February 2004
    Originally posted by dougie07
    just an idear...leave the sides of the box open, and just have support posts on each of the corners. that may provide enough cooling for the amp, as well as protect it.

Doug

That's along the lines that I was thinking of going if I don't need to put a fan in. I was going to cut a series of holes in the top and bottom to allow air to flow across it.

Oh, it has to be mounted horizontally on it's side so the sides will be the top and bottom.
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited February 2004
    what i would do in the case is get a piece of fiberglass and four posts to go in each of the corners
    that way itll be protected on top, have a 1-2 inch 'cushion' of air on all sides, and itll look cool too
    -Cody
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited February 2004
    do this -- if u dont care about being able to actually SEE the amp, then this'll work.

build a support box for it -- well half a box... back, bottom, two halves of sides - triangles - carpet it all so it looks good -- mount the amp to the back of the panel, the side with the bottom to it... that'll give you plenty of air space. make the damn thing as wide as the trunk if u want... look integrated then.

it's a doable thing -- i dunno if its what u were looking for, but it would work.

personally i just prefer to build amp racks and integrated sub boxes.. looks sweet... you guys shoud see the amp support in the cadillac -- its 4 1/2 feet wide.. birch ply stained walnut cherry, varnished with 7 coats, and then all the amps are mounted to it with wires tucked away -- the amp "rack" matches the interior of the car (the accent panels are all a cherry walnut wood / fake wood inside... looks classy as hell. and it covers the whole rear deck area from inside the trunk so its hides teh sub boxes under the rear deck that fire up and throgh as well as the rear deck coaxials... sweet ****.
    car.jpg 67.5K
  • ithaca00
    edited February 2004
    Well, here's what I had planned if I don't need a fan. The ends with the cables will be open and the top and bottom will have vents as shown.

EDIT- Alright, how do you upload a picture? I used the upload tool but nothing...:confused:

Oh well, here it is on my cardomain site :(

356397_16_full.jpg
  • dougie07
    edited February 2004
    This one may work just as well, and it'd be a bit easier make. The vents may not be necessary, but then again I don't know what kind of stuff you put in your trunk, so vents may be the way to go. I think this is what Cody was talkin about, too.

Doug
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited February 2004
    Even if you don't need it, it doesn't hurt to have it and at 3 or 4 bucks a piece, it's cheap insurance.

Check out Parts Express for some deals

http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?webpage_id=3&SO=2&&DID=7&CATID=45&ObjectGroup_ID=231

Also, alot of replacement PC case fans and UPS fans will work and are sometimes, a hell of alot quieter.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited February 2004
    dougie has what i was talking about
    -Cody
  • ithaca00
    edited February 2004
    thank you Doug and Cody. That design looks like it will work great.

I'll try to find some plexiglass to put over it.
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited February 2004
    you son of a ****! - NO AUTOCAD ALLOWED IN THE FORUMS!!! -- as it makes my ms-paint drawings look like ****!

u are fined one momo-point, and must therefore send me the equivelant cost of one momo speaker.

amen.
  • dougie07
    edited February 2004
    You talkin ta me??? My drawing was done in word and paint. The original actually looks better than the one here. The file was too big, so I had to change some things around, and I changed the actual size of the drawing. Now it looks all fuzzy. Am I still fined? lol...:)

Doug
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited February 2004
    yes, but instead of sending him the money, you send it to me...
    -Cody
  • dougie07
    edited February 2004
    lol :) I'll get right on that...well, not really cause I'm broke, so...

Doug
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited February 2004
    ill settle for the jbl amp...
    lol
    -Cody