What is the best folder/filename structure for jRiver?

Options
vc69
vc69 Posts: 2,500
edited October 2014 in Going Digital
I am ripping an entirely new, all FLAC library for use with jRiver. My current topology is Artist Folder --->nested Album title folder---> tagged song number_artist_song title

Will jRiver work with this structure? Any recommendations?
-Kevin
HT: Philips 52PFL7432D 52" LCD 1080p / Onkyo TX-SR 606 / Oppo BDP-83 SE / Comcast cable. (all HDMI)B&W 801 - Front, Polk CS350 LS - Center, Polk LS90 - Rear
2 Channel:
Oppo BDP-83 SE
Squeezebox Touch
Muscial Fidelity M1 DAC
VTL 2.5
McIntosh 2205 (refurbed)
B&W 801's
Transparent IC's

Best Answer

• OleBoot
    OleBoot Posts: 2,153
    Answer ✓
    Options
    In looking at jRiver, I would assume (like iTunes) that it reads in all your music on the hard drive (or locations you specify) and puts that information into a local "database" for the application. When reading in the files, it will use any tags associated with the song files to organize it by album, artist, and so on within the application. In jRiver, just by the screenshots I've seen, it looks like it's all organized by tag information, not by the actual file structure on where you store the music on your hard drive. You may have multiple views of the information as well, but all that data is stored in the applications database/repository.

That's why it's so important when ripping files using tools such as EAC or MediaMonkey to ensure that you add all the relevant album/song information when doing those rips as that information is stored in the tags on each song.

I use JRiver, and this is absolutely what it does. You can get files into a JRiver "library" by manual import of files or folder, or by getting it to monitor directories and picking them up automatically. Either way, it just pulls individual files and groups and sorts them by metadata.
    So I guess you can structure the directories and name the files any which way you want.
    And yes, you're right about paying attention to metadata when ripping - been there, done that and what a complete mess I made.

VC69 -I have ripped the majority of my files via JRiver, and it lets you apply rules to directory structures and file names to produce what you want - the one I chose is pretty much what you are considering. One thing to consider is cover art - if you are using FLAC files, the best way is to store it is in the tags, at the expense of a little extra storage.

Answers

• GospelTruth
    Options
    I don't use jRiver, but when I built out my library of ripped music, I used a similar structure with some additional information.

Artist Name (folder) > Album (Year-Album Title) (folder) > Song (Song Number-Artist-Album Title-Song Name

My biggest thing that I added was the Year with the Album Title. Call me odd, but I associate years when albums came out. I like to see my albums under an artist by year as it helps me know what albums are what. Just a suggestion.

I would think jRiver or any software will still use the tags in the song to sort, not the actual file structure. I only do what you are doing so that I have some semblance of music organization.

Good luck on the ripping!
    Speakers
    Energy RC-70 Mains, Energy RC-LRC Center, Energy RC-R (x4) Rear Channels, Energy RC-R (x2) Front Effects
    Polk 5jr+
    Polk SDA 2B
    Polk SDS 3.1TL

Equipment
    Panamax 5510 Re-generator Power Conditioner
    Yamaha RX-V3800 Receiver
    Digital Sources: Sony CDP-X339ES CD Player, HHB CDR830 BurnIt Professional CD Recorder, Sony PS3, Oppo DV-983H DVD Player
    Analog Sources: Sony TC-K890ES Cassette, Nakamichi DR-1 Cassette, Technics SL-7 Turntable
  • Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,842
    Options
    I would think jRiver or any software will still use the tags in the song to sort, not the actual file structure. I only do what you are doing so that I have some semblance of music organization.

I may be out of my depth here, but I think the protocol for the "sort" depends on whether the underlying database is a flat-file or relational database. If it's flat-file, then I think it does rely on the file structure not the data in individual fields.

However, as I said, I may be out of my depth here.
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• GospelTruth
    GospelTruth Posts: 403
    edited October 2014
    Options
    In looking at jRiver, I would assume (like iTunes) that it reads in all your music on the hard drive (or locations you specify) and puts that information into a local "database" for the application. When reading in the files, it will use any tags associated with the song files to organize it by album, artist, and so on within the application. In jRiver, just by the screenshots I've seen, it looks like it's all organized by tag information, not by the actual file structure on where you store the music on your hard drive. You may have multiple views of the information as well, but all that data is stored in the applications database/repository.

That's why it's so important when ripping files using tools such as EAC or MediaMonkey to ensure that you add all the relevant album/song information when doing those rips as that information is stored in the tags on each song.

Speakers
    Energy RC-70 Mains, Energy RC-LRC Center, Energy RC-R (x4) Rear Channels, Energy RC-R (x2) Front Effects
    Polk 5jr+
    Polk SDA 2B
    Polk SDS 3.1TL

Equipment
    Panamax 5510 Re-generator Power Conditioner
    Yamaha RX-V3800 Receiver
    Digital Sources: Sony CDP-X339ES CD Player, HHB CDR830 BurnIt Professional CD Recorder, Sony PS3, Oppo DV-983H DVD Player
    Analog Sources: Sony TC-K890ES Cassette, Nakamichi DR-1 Cassette, Technics SL-7 Turntable
  • vc69
    Options
    So...
    I need to tag the files with the album name as well, otherwise, I may have several instances of one song with no idea which album they were ripped from. Ok, thanks guys!
    -Kevin
    HT: Philips 52PFL7432D 52" LCD 1080p / Onkyo TX-SR 606 / Oppo BDP-83 SE / Comcast cable. (all HDMI)B&W 801 - Front, Polk CS350 LS - Center, Polk LS90 - Rear
    2 Channel:
    Oppo BDP-83 SE
    Squeezebox Touch
    Muscial Fidelity M1 DAC
    VTL 2.5
    McIntosh 2205 (refurbed)
    B&W 801's
    Transparent IC's
  • OleBoot
    Options
    vc69 wrote: »
    So...
    I need to tag the files with the album name as well, otherwise, I may have several instances of one song with no idea which album they were ripped from. Ok, thanks guys!

Yes you do, sorry, I was thinking more about your directory structure question than what you said about tagging. Whet are you using to do the ripping? Some folks swear by different software to do ripping, but I think JRiver is pretty good in this respect, offering plenty of options and reports for rip errors. If you're going to use it to play your tunes, easiest way is to use it for ripping too. Gets rid of tagging anomalies when using something different.

• vc69
    Options
    I'm using EAC to rip/tag. It's my go-to for ripping.
    -Kevin
    2 Channel:
    Oppo BDP-83 SE
    Squeezebox Touch
    Muscial Fidelity M1 DAC
    VTL 2.5
    McIntosh 2205 (refurbed)
    B&W 801's
    Transparent IC's
  • OleBoot
    Options
    vc69 wrote: »
    I'm using EAC to rip/tag. It's my go-to for ripping.

OK, should work if you tag as you suggested. Like I said, people seem to have strong preferences for what software they use to do ripping. Don't know how much you've got to rip, but I found the process mind numbingly boring. I thought about digitizing my LPs, but I think I'll just keep using the turntable !