Oppo BDP-105 vs Marantz SA-8004, Oppo how I wish I loved you but...

Options

Comments

• zane77
    zane77 Posts: 1,696
    Options
    Haven't heard the Marantz, but I love the 105D that I have.
    Home Theater
    Onkyo PR-SC5508 Sharp LC-70LE847U
    Emotiva XPA-5 Emotiva XPA-2 Emotiva UPA-2
    Front RTi-A9 Wide RTi-A7 Center CSi-A6 Surround FXi-A6 Rear RTi-A3 Sub 2x PSW505
    Sony BDP-S790 Dishnetwork Hopper/Joey Logitech Harmony One Apple TV
    Two Channel
    Oppo 105D BAT VK-500 w/BatPack SDA SRS 2.3 Dreadnought Squeezebox Touch Apple TV
  • nspindel
    nspindel Posts: 5,343
    Options
    I would still encourage anyone looking at these players to audition both. While each player has it's strengths I do not agree that the Marantz is better in every respect, and several people at LSAF a few months ago agreed with me. I'm not saying I'm right, just that an actual audition is recommended.

No argument. Everything in this hobby should be based on what your ears tell you, not what someone tells you in a review. To someone else's ears the Oppo may be the 2-channel winner, but for my ears playing my music with my gear in my room, the Marantz wins. And I'm glad I did the comparison, because I feel that much better about the Marantz now!
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,133
    Options
    I just hope the 105 is better than the 93 :D
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    Options
    The 105 is better than the 93, but I wouldn't expect a night and day difference or a change in sound signature. If you like the 93 you'll like the 105 because it sounds a little better. If you hated the 93 then chances are you're not going to like the 105.

Think of the 105 as a slightly better sounding 93 with a bunch of new features added in.
  • PSOVLSK
    Options
    Love my 93. You're description is exactly what I want...better, same sound signature and more features. I'm going to play around with possibly using the 105 as my pre- and taking the SC-05 out of the loop. I'm interested to see how that works out.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    Options
    I don't remember you making it to my room at LSAF, but everyone seemed to prefer the Oppo doing the whole job vs using the AVR (I have the SC-25). I actually use the SC-25 in the mix at home because of all my inputs, but also have balanced cables running directly from the Oppo to Parasound for when I want to pull the Maggies out into the room a little and do a pure 2 channel setup.
  • PSOVLSK
    Options
    I was there for a little while on Friday night and heard your setup. I was very impressed and have had the 105 on my radar ever since.

I'm thinking inputs may require me to keep my SC-05 as well, but we'll see.
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    Options
    There are a couple of 105's on CL in the CHI area...but Oh my do used lower models sell like hotcakes. I would like a 93 or 103D for the HT to see how it does against the Sony.

The 95 or the 105 will always be on the want list for audio. I have to try one for myself...whenever I can get that system going???
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • PSOVLSK
    Options
    My 93 will be for sale soon. hint, hint ;)
  • PSOVLSK
    Options
    Dibs granted.

Not positive about the JRiver, but I don't think so. Never tried it though.

I like the idea of buying all my old BDP's. Could I interest you in a nice NAD amp as well? haha

Neil: It appears that I have caused a total derail to your thread and I apologize.
  • nspindel
    Options
    Yeah, but you paid me for the Oppo so party on.
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,551
    Options
    WLDock wrote: »
    There are a couple of 105's on CL in the CHI area...but Oh my do used lower models sell like hotcakes. I would like a 93 or 103D for the HT to see how it does against the Sony.

The 95 or the 105 will always be on the want list for audio. I have to try one for myself...whenever I can get that system going???

Which Sony do you have? And when the time comes I might be interested in snatching it up.....

"....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,967
    Options
    If you hated the 93 then chances are you're not going to like the 105.

Thanks, now I don't have to bother getting my ears on that one as the sound of the previous models I would best describe as soulless.

Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• AsSiMiLaTeD
    Options
    DSkip wrote: »
    PSOVLSK wrote: »
    My 93 will be for sale soon. hint, hint ;)
    And I call dibs on it until the wife tells me no. Can it stream Jriver like the 105 does? I'm happy with my DAC, but a new player might be nice.
    No streaming on the 93, no preamp, no USB DAC, and I don't even recall any functionality as an external DAC. It's basically a player, a really good player, but just a player.

• AsSiMiLaTeD
    Options
    I'm not a fan of SDAs (yes I said it) so I'm a bit biased, but I didn't like the Oppo players with SDAs. I personally find that the SDA rigs I've heard (and that has only been a couple to be fair) have sounded flat and lifeless to me, and the Oppo's sound doesn't match speakers like that very well. That probably holds true for other speakers like that as well.

Skip, your Ushers obviously don't fall into that category and as you've heard the Oppo is a great match with those.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,967
    Options
    Actually, I've never heard an Oppo on SDA's, but I did hear one on a pair of Maggies. Not a good combo, IMO.

I have to say you're the first person I know of that has ever described SDA's that way.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,079
    edited October 2014
    Options
    So experiment time I took my Marantz CD 5004 downstairs I know it's not a SA8004, but I thought I would hook it up to my HT rig for Redbook CD comparisons for equipment used see my signature. I played Steely Dan's Two Against Nature in multi channel mode first with My Oppo 105D then with my Marantz CD 5004.

I also played Supertramps Crime Of The Century, the results to my ear was Steely Dan sounded a bit fuller playing out of the Marantz my wife agreed, I did not tell her what I payed for the Oppo, as far as she knows it's a universal Blu Ray Player. She loves Steely Dan and has always listened to it on either the Marantz CD 5003 or the CD5004 I own a couple Marantz CD players. I thought they were close the Marantz was a bit better sounding to me.

I can say though that when it came to Crime Of The Century that one sounded much better on the Oppo the Seperation and the fullness was more prominent, maybe it has to do with the way the CDs are mastered the Steely Dan not being a remaster but the Supertramp being a remaster. This of course leads me to the conclusion that I am happy with the Oppo 105D in my HT rig its not going anywhere, but I still want to get either a SA8004 or a SA8005 in my one of my 2 channel rigs and make that comparison with my modest collection of 23 SACDs. There you have it I suppose it don't mean squat to most of you but it was an interesting experiment nonetheless, I do know I want a Marantz SACD player dang this hobby.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Must have been something different with that rig, because dozens of people heard that rig at LSAF (Oppo > Parasound > Magnepan) this year and everyone liked it. Maybe everybody secretly hated it and didn't want to tell me though, who knows...

Yes I realize my opinion on the SDAs is not a popular one, but I didn't like either set I heard (Russ first introduced me to those several years ago and I remember coming away unimpressed). Maybe those rigs weren't set up right, but that's all I have to go on.
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    Options
    I have a oppo 103 in my HT set up and I use it when I want to play my hybrid SACD's in 5.1 but when I want to play them in 2 channel I use my Marantz 8005. but in my 2 channel set up I use the Vincent preamp & amp set up and my Monitor 10's.
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    Options
    Just keep in mind that the 103 is not even in the same ballpark as the 105. The 103 is a great player, but not intended to compete with the 105 and I would not form an opinion of Oppo performance based on that model.
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 17,016
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    I wonder how the 105 and the Parasound P5 together would be. Think about it, for 2 g's you get a system for both HT/2 channel, processing and 2 different dacs at your disposal. Betcha they'd sound awesome together.

wOw Tony, you have my wheels spinning, I want to tell you "you suck" for this but I like you buddy so I won't...

Seriously I bet it would be awesome, plus having that sub out??
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    PSOVLSK wrote: »
    I just hope the 105 is better than the 93 :D

The 93 is the non-audio enhanced Oppo. The 95 is the one to compare to the 105. In regard to the picture quality, the 103 and 105 are basically the same, and I found my 103 to have a better picture than my 93.

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    Options
    Crap I didn't even think about that, I got the 93 confused with the 95. BlueFox is correct, the 95 is the other higher end up, the 93 is the older 103. My bad.

That also explains why Jesse posted what he did about the 93, and I'd agree with him. The 93 is not a great sounding player.

Sorry I got us off track here, I should have paid more attention.

Paul, the 105 is going to be a huge step up from the 93.
  • WLDock
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Which Sony do you have? And when the time comes I might be interested in snatching it up.....
    The PS3 is what I was referring to. Been great so far...would like to see for myself how it compares to an OPPO. The kids would never let me get rid of that..unless it's replaced by a PS4. LOL!
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,551
    Options
    The PS3 is what I was referring to. Been great so far...would like to see for myself how it compares to an OPPO. The kids would never let me get rid of that..unless it's replaced by a PS4. LOL!
    Gotcha, no want for a PS3... wasnt sure if you were talking about the 790 player they had...
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • WLDock
    Options
    Actually, would like to see and hear the 790 /PS3/Oppo. I really wonder if I could see any difference? Then then is the sound...
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 17,016
    Options
    PS3 vs OPPO?

LOL!!
  • Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,629
    Options
    Actually, would like to see and hear the 790 /PS3/Oppo. I really wonder if I could see any difference? Then then is the sound...

The 103 will crush the PS3 in sound, video and speed...

I can tell you from experience.
  • PSOVLSK
    Options
    Neil, I'm glad you didn't love the Oppo :D:p
  • nspindel
    Options
    Glad you're glad!