Sub 4 sale

Options
glemay
glemay Posts: 574
edited February 2004 in For Sale (FS) Classifieds
Polk Audio PSW202 for sale. Used for about 10 minutes then put back in the box. Looking to get $115 plus shipping. I'm located in Windsor, Ontario right across from Detroit. Anyone interessed?

Gerald
Main System:
Denon AVR-2805, Polk Audio RTi70's, Polk Audio CSi40, Polk Audio FXi50, Paradigm PW-2200 v.2, Toshiba 42XV545U HDTV

Second System:
Denon AVR-1705, Polk Audio R40, Polk Audio CS245i, Polk Audio R15, Paradigm PS-1200a
Post edited by glemay on

Comments

• glemay
    edited February 2004
    Options
    Here is a picpic
    Main System:
    Denon AVR-2805, Polk Audio RTi70's, Polk Audio CSi40, Polk Audio FXi50, Paradigm PW-2200 v.2, Toshiba 42XV545U HDTV

Second System:
    Denon AVR-1705, Polk Audio R40, Polk Audio CS245i, Polk Audio R15, Paradigm PS-1200a
  • Pauly
    Pauly Posts: 4,519
    edited February 2004
    Options
    looks like no takers here. might be better off on ebay GOOD LUCK...

Spaz
    Life without music would
  • glemay
    edited February 2004
    Options
    I'll give it some time.

Anyone else?
    Main System:

Second System:
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited February 2004
    Options
    I wonder what hooking it up inside the box would do? That would be a neat experiment :D

Yaman, give it some time.....I will presume that the family isn't starving so no real hurry eh? ;)
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • glemay
    edited February 2004
    Options
    Not too much of a hurry but still want to sell it soon so I can buy an amp for my boat.
    Main System:

Second System:
  • glemay
    edited February 2004
    Options
    still 4 sale
    Main System:

Second System:
  • glemay
    edited February 2004
    Options
    Somebody has got to be in need of a small sub.
    Main System:

Second System:
  • glemay
    edited February 2004
    Options
    Is there anybody that wants to buy it?
    Main System:

Second System:
  • Airplay355
    Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
    edited February 2004
    Options
    cant u just return it to circuit city or something? or use it as part of the upgrade plan to get urself a nicer center?
  • glemay
    edited February 2004
    Options
    Got it at Futher Shop, no upgrade policy. Plus I had an older PSW202 that died on me about a year ago and this is the replacement. They gave me a brand new one since I had an extended warranty but don't need it so trying to sell it.
    Main System:

Second System:
  • wallstreet
    wallstreet Posts: 1,405
    edited February 2004
    Options
    What's shipping cost from Ontario to Dallas?
  • glemay
    edited February 2004
    Options
    Shipping from Ontario to Texas is about $37.24 USD. That includes Delivery Confirmation and $350 CDN insurance. (9 business days) Am I doing this the right way? Never shipped anything but looking forward to learning.
    Main System:

Second System:
  • glemay
    edited February 2004
    Options
    Why won't it sell?
    Main System:

Second System:
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited February 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by glemay
    Why won't it sell?

Brand new PSW202s on E-Bay

2/22 - $137 Shipped
    2/19 - $135 Shipped
    2-18 - $103 + Shipping
    2/15 - $136 Shipped

One closed 2-22 oith a BIN of $75 and $35 shipping - No takers

21 have been listed and/or sold on e-bay since 2-9-04.

They are everywhere because of the free sub promo. Folks here probably aren't willing to go $150± for that particular sub. They seem to be going fairly well on E-bay right now. List it with a starting price of $99 plus shipping or a BIN of $130 to $140 shipped and see what happens. Good luck
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • wallstreet
    edited February 2004
    Options
    This sub doesn't have a LFE input?
  • shack
    edited February 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by wallstreet
    This sub doesn't have a LFE input?
    Sure it does...see the line in RCA jacks in the upper right corner of the plate...

h107PSW202-b.jpeg

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • Pauly
    edited February 2004
    Options
    LFE meaning Low Pass Filter. 202 doesnt have one
    Life without music would
  • shack
    edited February 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by spasticpitbull
    LFE meaning Low Pass Filter. 202 doesnt have one

LFE = Low Frequency Effects - which means it is already filtered.

and yes the PSW202 does have a Low Pass Filter....at least according to Polk and based on looking at MY PSW202....
    The PSW202 features: (from the Polk website)

independent variable Low-Pass filter and Volume (level) controls, phase switch let you tune the PSW202 to sound great and integrate into any system and your room.

• shack
    edited February 2004
    Options
    Sorry double post...

• Pauly
    edited February 2004
    Options
    Ok there is some confusion I do beleive he ment the Unfiltered LFE input in which the 202 does not have
    Life without music would
  • Pauly
    edited February 2004
    Options
    See the RCA below the L/R this is what i think he was reffering to...
    lfe.jpg 75.3K
    Life without music would
  • wallstreet
    edited February 2004
    Options
    Yes, the LFE in. My sub wire in my bedroom is prewired with a single coax. So I have to use the LFE input. I guess I'm out on the 202. It's just the right size too. Anyway to get around the LFE problem with a single coax?
  • glemay
    edited February 2004
    Options
    Wallstreet,

If I am correct you can just plug the single coax cable into the left or right (not sure if there is a difference) and run the sub like that. I think that by using both Left and Right coax plugs on a subwoofer cable you just gain a 3 dB increase in the signal.
    Main System:

Second System:
  • dorokusai
    edited February 2004
    Options
    Walter - You can definetly use a single input, you are fine with this subwoofer. Yes you can also use a Y adapter, to utilize both inputs.

Glemay - Dude, sell this damn thing! Drop the price a couple more dollars and move it out the door....you have been talking about this thing forever, lol :D
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • shack
    edited February 2004
    Options
    Walter - You should be able to hook this sub up since according to Polk you CAN bypass the Low Pass Filter...

From the PSW202 product manual:
    Method #2

This method can be used with electronics that include a “SUB OUT” feature (Figure 7). It is not recommended for use with RM Series “Sub/Sat” Systems.

Connect a single RCA cable from the “SUB OUT” of your electronics to the left and right. Use a “Y” cable to connect the single subwoofer output jackto the two Line Level Inputs of the subwoofer. This input bypasses the subwoofer’s variable low pass filter and relies on the filter built into your electronics.

If your “SUB OUT” is an unfiltered signal (check your owner’s manual), use either left or right “Line Level Input,” to use the low pass crossover in the subwoofer.

When using method #2, it is necessary to adjust the settings of your electronics as follows: Front speakers = large or small depending on their output capabilities; Subwoofer = “ON”.

I sent Ken Swauger the following questions regarding the above information:

If I am reading this correctly, when using a "sub out" or "LFE out" from a receiver you can bypass the Low Pass Filter by splitting the signal with a "Y" adapter and connecting it to both left and right line level inputs. If you use a single line level input (without the "Y" splitter) then the signal is filtered. Is this correct? If so how is this accomplished? Conversely I assume there is no way to have the speaker level input unfiltered, Correct? Thank you in advance for your response.

I'm interested to see what Ken says. If it is correct, then you are able to send the PSW202 a LFE signal without "double filtering" through the Low Pass.
    Glemay - Dude, sell this damn thing! Drop the price a couple more dollars and move it out the door....you have been talking about this thing forever, lol
    Gerald - Just do it. The sub didn't cost you anything...right? It was the promo deal? Then just sell it for whatever you can get and use the funds for something else. It's not doing you any good sitting in the corner in the box!

If the LFE signal issue is settled and Walter will spring for $137± shipped - WORK IT OUT!

Walter - I have one of these and it will make a very nice sub for a bedroom system!

• dorokusai
    edited February 2004
    Options
    Shack - I read that manual statement just as you do.

Walter - It is a decent little performer, nothing special and I have been using one for over a year.
  • glemay
    edited February 2004
    Options
    Wallstreet,

Can you e-mail me at glemay3@cogeco.ca

Jerry
    Main System:

Second System:
  • Airplay355
    Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
    edited February 2004
    Options
    there is no problem, you can get a y splitter and plug it into the left and right inputs, or just pick left or right, whatever one u like, and plug it into there......then turn the crossover all the way up, meaning to the highest frequency and you are fine. thats how i run my sub
  • shack
    edited February 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by shack
    I sent Ken Swauger the following questions regarding the above information:

If I am reading this correctly, when using a "sub out" or "LFE out" from a receiver you can bypass the Low Pass Filter by splitting the signal with a "Y" adapter and connecting it to both left and right line level inputs. If you use a single line level input (without the "Y" splitter) then the signal is filtered. Is this correct? If so how is this accomplished? Conversely I assume there is no way to have the speaker level input unfiltered, Correct? Thank you in advance for your response.

I'm interested to see what Ken says. If it is correct, then you are able to send the PSW202 a LFE signal without "double filtering" through the Low Pass.
    Ken's email response ( I'm sure he won't mind me posting it here):
    Hello,
    That is a miss print, there isn't a way to bypass the built-in variable low pass filter, just turn the knob to the highest setting, placing it's frequency above the incoming filtered signal.
    The speaker level output is unfiltered, what comes in goes out to the speakers.
    Regards, Ken

Which led me to ask:

Your last statement - "The speaker level output is unfiltered, what comes in goes out to the speakers."

doesn't seem to correspond with the manual (I've highlighted the passage).

From the PSW202 product manual

R E C O M M E N D E D H O O K - U P M E T H O D F O R " S AT E L L I T E " S Y S T E M S

Connect the left and right front speaker outputs of your receiver or amplifier to the speaker level inputs of the powered subwoofer with speaker wire.

Then, connect the left and right front satellite speakers with speaker wire from the speaker level outputs from the powered subwoofer.

Subwoofer -- set to "OFF" or "none." (We know. Doesn’t make sense, right? Your system obviously has a subwoofer. But really truly, this is the correct setting for the recommended hook-up method. By setting the front left and right speakers to "Large" and routing them through the subwoofer as instructed above, you deliver a full range signal to the subwoofer’s low pass filter. The low pass filter takes the low frequencies and passes the rest on to the front speakers, for perfect sub/sat blending.)
    Ken's reply:
    Hello,
    It is misleading, there is a built in high pass filter inside the satellite speaker that filters off bass. The audio signal that leaves the speaker level output is exactly the same as the one coming in, in fact on the other side of the metal input plate you would see metal jumpers linking the input and output connections, the same sound leaving and coming in.
    Regards, Ken

So there you go...

Summary:

Line level inputs are filtered...

Speaker level inputs are not filtered...

(Regardless of what the product manual appears to say!)

• Pauly
    edited February 2004
    Options
    But still no Unfiltered LFE
    Life without music would