JBL SVA-1800?

I need speakers like whatever in my head but how are SVA-1800?
I know 2100 has great reviews but what about this smaller brother?

Klipsch RB81, KG3.5, B&W DM602.5, Polk.
Subwoofers: Klipsch RW10, Triad ProSub Bronze.

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 25,343
    Fine speakers for a HT setup, I wouldn't expect too much out of them for critical listening. Taken from "http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?28068-Jbl-Sva-1800"
  • Mystery
    Mystery Posts: 2,546
    Reviews are mixed... looks like they can't compete with high end speakers but that's expxected.

Here's one touting them for 2-channel..
    Submitted by Joseph Dunphy a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 28, 2011

Bottom Line:
    I have to admit I bought these to give them a try along side my Magnepan 1.6qr panels. I have ran kef 104/2 ADS L710 ,L810 . And Advents,jbl L110,Green Mountain, Snell,Allison, Polk Audio RTA12,and many others. I thought the SVA1800 would not make the grade for two channel listening. But I was mistaken. They are power hungry and My Parasound A21 amp makes them capable of great sound. I ran a 15" powered velodyne to extend the bass. The people at JBL DID A GREAT JOB! The sound is incredible and I decided to keep them. The soundstage is great as well as the high end. The mids are good and the sound is very well layed out. It's like a well made set of speakers that are worth keeping. They need a powered sub for sure and the mids are great but not perfect . But when I turn on the power they come alive like you at a live concert. Very impressive addition and the sound is eye opening. Cables and a good pre is a must as well as a dac and transport. Can't wait to run my 18" sub with these.
    Expand full review >>
    Used product for: 1 to 3 months

Duration Product Used: Audio Enthusiast

Product model year: 1997

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 25,343
    I have heard the 2400's they really rock out, but they have that big west coast sound. I got interested in them because I have the JBL 610 HLS for HT big sound for a very small speaker and as I looked up the line HLS 620-820 very similar to those SVA's I was told to look into them if I liked the HLS's they were more of that sound with better drivers. i.e. Woofers
  • Mystery
    Mystery Posts: 2,546
    Well I got them and they are power suckers.

I have Klipsch RF3's and these JBL SVA1800's sound much heavier, thicker and bassy in comparison.
    Klipsch are so efficient in comparison that JBL's sound like whispering when Klipsch are loud at the same volume.
    My Marantz SR5500 av receiver is loud at -30 for Klipsch but for JBL's I have to increase it to -10.
    So looks like I have to put my Crown XLS-1500 to power the JBL's as the av receiver will peak out when watching movies.

As for sound, Klipsch RF3's have a lot of mid range so vocals sound forward and clean.
    JBL's have more bass but not enough mid to balance.
    Sounds like music is missing when switching from RF3 to SVA1800's.
    RF3's have better instrument separation. JBL's sound little jumbled up everything together.

However, sound is punchy and hits hard on SVA1800's.
    Bass is thumpy and hard, shakes the floor.
    While Klipsch also have great bass for much smaller size but bass is softer in comparison.

SVA's sounds smoother than Klipsch since Klipsch have that forward mid.
    I have to really give SVA's more power to see what they can do.
    Maybe these are good for those who listen at loud volumes.
    Klipsch are more clear to understand dialogues without a need to crank them up.

Pictures without grill:
    15321305456_c2b11c05c9_o.jpg
    15344032432_0993c0296d_o.jpg
    15157756288_b8678dd9ac_o.jpg

Picture with grill:
    15158275828_669e7d9e68_o.jpg