subwoofer hook-up (to a 2 channel amp)

Options
Stupid question of the day! Have a NAD 2 channel amp, and an M&K powered subwoofer... Can I use a y-plug and power the left channel and right channel mains, (to the power amp of course) yet run the subwoofer off the other end of the y adapter coming off the pre-amp?

Comments

• TNTsTunes
    Options
    Yes, but cheap splitters/y-plugs suck..
    "Make a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day. Light
    a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

• specd_out
    Options
    does your pre have a main 1 and main 2 output. On my carver I use the second main output to feed my sub. You can then use the subs crossover to balance things out. The main issue with that is you mains run full range so you will never get a good transition between mains and sub.

I plan on getting a mini dsp and using it as a crossover to properly blend the mains and the sub
    HT Rig Samsung 64F8500 |Pioneer Elite BDP-52FD|Pioneer Elite VSX-32| Two Carver TFM-15cb Bridged for mains|Polk Audio RTiA5 Cherry|Polk Audio CsiA6 Cherry|Polk Audio T-15 Heights|Polk Audio FXia6 Surround|DIY 8cuft Dayton Ultimax 15" powered with a Crown XLS1000
    2Channel Rig Polk Audio LSi9 Cherry| Carver C-1BillD Mod|Carver M1.0t MkII Opt2|Pro-ject RM 1.3|SpeedBox S|AQ King Cobras|AQ Rocket88|
    ISF Level 2 Certified Calibrator
  • myron horn
    Options
    it does have 2 sets, but... according to the manual on the nad 1000, the second set is used to run a signal processor or other device.....When I do hook up the sub, you can pick up basically the full range ( vocals, instruments, etc.) so Im not sure what the deal is.....I had the sub hooked to an Onkyo receiver (5 channel) before , to the sub output, and the result was AWESOME! Not sure what is going on now!