2 sub or not 2 sub

Hey guys:

I've got an Rti HT setup, with Rti-10's as my fronts. While 2 channel mode sounds excellent most times, I feel there are certain songs/genres that are a bit.....lacking on the bass front.

Do any of you Rti folks (current or former) recommend moving to a 2.1 setup for music listening? And if so, how difficult is it to get a Denon receiver to "default" to a 2.1 setup anytime I play anything 2 channel?

Thanks in advance for any input.
2007 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

2010 Club Polk Fantasy Football Champ

2011 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!"

Comments

• AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    What size speakers do you have now? a music setup without a sub is always ideal if you can make it work.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,903
    The RTI10's won't wake up without some power behind them. Which receiver do you have hooked up to them ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • So my Integra has a setting called "Stereo" which unlike the "Direct" mode will incorporate the sub and left right speakers. It leaves Audyssey intact with the crossovers and all that jazz as well.

I'd posit that your Denon should have similar since both use Audyssey.

Now normally I am also switching inputs from a HDMI (Xbox, Uverse DVR) to either HDMI (Blu-Ray Player) or Optical (Squeezebox classic), but I've never had a problem switching it back OUT of "Stereo" mode...

With that said it doesnt "default" or I just havent cared enough to make it default to that for music. I've got a Harmony One, so I just programed the "Stereo" button into that configuration and I'm set.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • jflail2
    jflail2 Posts: 2,868
    Thanks Enders. It sounds similar. I can't remember the specifics for setting it up last year, but whenever it recognizes a 2CH signal (even airplay from my ipad) it presents it as such. I also need to get off my lazy butt and get my harmony 1 nice and updated.......

Assimilated, they're Rti-10's (second largest tower in the Rti line I believe.)

Tony, I suspect you're right. my bonus wasn't quite as..........happy as the previous one, so I'm going to have to hold off till February for any further upgrades (like the 200x5 amp I have been coveting for years now......)

• jflail2
    And to be exact Tony, I have the Denon 3313 currently pushing my Rti setup (sans amp obviously.)

• There normally is a way to include the sub in 2channel mode. On pioneers for example every sound mode except pure direct will use the sub. I dont know if anyone mentioned it, but having your fronts set to large plus the sub will make a big difference for music
    HT Rig Samsung 64F8500 |Pioneer Elite BDP-52FD|Pioneer Elite VSX-32| Two Carver TFM-15cb Bridged for mains|Polk Audio RTiA5 Cherry|Polk Audio CsiA6 Cherry|Polk Audio T-15 Heights|Polk Audio FXia6 Surround|DIY 8cuft Dayton Ultimax 15" powered with a Crown XLS1000
    2Channel Rig Polk Audio LSi9 Cherry| Carver C-1BillD Mod|Carver M1.0t MkII Opt2|Pro-ject RM 1.3|SpeedBox S|AQ King Cobras|AQ Rocket88|
    ISF Level 2 Certified Calibrator
  • What Denon model do you have?
    2.1: PC>Schiit Gungnir MB>Schiit Freya Noval>NAD C-270>Ascend Acoustics Sierra-1, HSU STF-2 5.1: HDMI Bitstream>Denon AVR-1910>polkaudio RTE55, CS350-LS, RT3, HSU STF-2, Visio M55-F0
  • jflail2
    Thanks specd; I'll have to have a look tonight. And yes, the fronts are currently set to large.

Tbone, it's a 3313.

• SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,350
    jflail2 wrote: »
    While 2 channel mode sounds excellent most times, I feel there are certain songs/genres that are a bit.....lacking on the bass front.

The technical way is to take a look at a musical instrument frequency chart and do a room sweep to see what frequencies are deficient. You can experiment with speaker placement and employ bass traps, but often times bass will be lacking in the listening position. Subs will help reinforce the nether frequencies but they must be quality subs with enough adjustments to properly integrate them. You have to experiment with sub placement as well.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • Tbone289
    Tbone289 Posts: 661
    edited September 2014
    Thanks specd; I'll have to have a look tonight. And yes, the fronts are currently set to large.

Tbone, it's a 3313.

If your Denon is like my Denon 1910 (and I'll bet it is), there is a separate manual speaker setup for stereo that is independent of the setting for surround tracks. This speaker setup will allow you to set size (small, large) and has several crossover tweaks (Hz, LFE, LFE+Main, etc.) that are used only when stereo sources are playing.

2.1: PC>Schiit Gungnir MB>Schiit Freya Noval>NAD C-270>Ascend Acoustics Sierra-1, HSU STF-2 5.1: HDMI Bitstream>Denon AVR-1910>polkaudio RTE55, CS350-LS, RT3, HSU STF-2, Visio M55-F0
  • jflail2
    Tbone289 wrote: »

Tbone, it's a 3313.

If your Denon is like my Denon 1910 (and I'll bet it is), there is a separate manual speaker setup for stereo that is independent of the setting for surround tracks. This speaker setup will allow you to set size (small, large) and has several crossover tweaks (Hz, LFE, LFE+Main, etc.) that are used only when stereo sources are playing.

Excellent. In general, what is a recommended crossover jumping off point for the Rti-10's in stereo? 80hz?

• jflail2 wrote: »
    Excellent. In general, what is a recommended crossover jumping off point for the Rti-10's in stereo? 80hz?

Your ears will tell you that one.... I'd start there, but play with dropping it down a bit for giggles to see how they do...

"....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • 2 sub or not 2 sub...without hesitation by all means add 2 subs & you'll never look back. In all honesty it isn't about the bass per say, it's all about the quality of bass. A single pair of speakers just won't cut it for a multitude of reasons.
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.
  • MADGSF
    MADGSF Posts: 603
    edited September 2014
    It has been said but with a good amp I don't think you need a sub for music with the RTi-10. I mute my sub for music and am happy with the bass from my system.
    AVR: Elite VSX-21TXH
    Amplifier: B&K 7250 Series ii
    Misc: Velodyne SMS-1
    Mains: RTi-10
    Center: CSi-5
    Rear: Boston DSi460
    Sub: SVS PC-Ultra
    TV: Panasonic TC-P58V10
    DVD: Panasonic DMP-BD60K
  • jflail2
    Thanks guys. I've decided to leave it as-is for the time being, with 2 channel being truly 2 channel. My next system goal is to add that 5x200 amp I've coveted for so long. I'm hoping Enders is ready to try something new by the time February rolls around, so I can take that Rotel off his hands at a good price at that point. :)

You guys are an incredibly helpful bunch. Anyone who says otherwise can get bent.

Thank you to all who have responded!!!

• @jflail2‌

I didnt end up getting that Rotel... but I found something VERY similar.

And it aint going anywhere lol...

Depending on how it works out, I may suggest you do the same as these come up more often than the Rotels...........

You want more info, you've got my phone number :smile: