Thrifts, Pawns and Second Hand

Options
Pastor Bill
Pastor Bill Posts: 130
edited August 2014 in 2 Channel Audio
Don't know what stores you fellows are frequenting for these nifty audio purchases...but all I'm finding is a lot of old clothes and coffee cups.
Jesus said "I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but through Me." - John 14:6

NAD 7140, Fried Model Qs, Pioneer PD-4700
Post edited by Pastor Bill on

Comments

• hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Gotta wear those $2 jeans and $.50 shirts to afford all those big audio purchases :razz:
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • dkfreebird
    dkfreebird Posts: 1,182
    edited August 2014
    Options
    It's always hit or miss but you won't know unless you go check it out
    2 Channel
    Polk 1.2tl's Modded with dreadnought
    Musical Fidelity M6Si
    North Star Intenso Dac
    Auralic Aries Mini Streamer
    Oppo 103
    Pangea PC
    Wireworld Equinox 7 interconnects
    Wireworld Equinox 7 Speaker Cables and Jumpers

Backups 2.3tl, Crs+ pin/blade with stands.Monitor 5 peerless,Monitor 4 peerless,Polk R200,McCormack Dna 0.5 Deluxe McCormack Dna 1,Dared Sl 2000A,Dayens Ampino Rogue Magnum 66 pre
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,558
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Dallas area- thrift stores don't get anything good. Pawn shops used to, but that's stopped over the last couple of years.
    There's an army of people scrounging up anything of value for CL and Ebay. So pickings are slim.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • dkfreebird
    edited August 2014
    Options
    sucks2beme wrote: »
    Dallas area- thrift stores don't get anything good. Pawn shops used to, but that's stopped over the last couple of years.
    There's an army of people scrounging up anything of value for CL and Ebay. So pickings are slim.
    I agree,I won't go out of my way to look but if I have the time I stop in just for that chance.The only thing I scored so far is a adcom 575 cd player
    2 Channel
    Musical Fidelity M6Si
    North Star Intenso Dac
    Oppo 103
    Pangea PC

Backups 2.3tl, Crs+ pin/blade with stands.Monitor 5 peerless,Monitor 4 peerless,Polk R200,McCormack Dna 0.5 Deluxe McCormack Dna 1,Dared Sl 2000A,Dayens Ampino Rogue Magnum 66 pre
  • Pastor Bill
    Pastor Bill Posts: 130
    edited August 2014
    Options
    hochpt21 wrote: »
    Gotta wear those $2 jeans and $.50 shirts to afford all those big audio purchases :razz:

Ahhhh, so there IS a method to your madness.
    Jesus said "I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but through Me." - John 14:6

NAD 7140, Fried Model Qs, Pioneer PD-4700
  • leftwinger57
    leftwinger57 Posts: 2,917
    edited August 2014
    Options
    No joke about it getting thin out there. One GW in my area carries no electronics at all or lps ,and the other one has stuff thrown all over the place mostly cable boxes and vhs players. Moving and garage sales and of course C/L is where I do most of my shopping for used stuff. Again just today I p/u an audio rack for $20 that's a hundred times better than what I used to have. I posted it in electronics if you want a peek and besides my h/t all other gear was second hand.
    2chl- Adcom GFA- 555-Onkyo P-3150v pre/amp- JVC-QL-A200 tt- Denon 1940 ci cdp- Adcom GFS-6 -Modded '87 SDA 2Bs - Dynamat Ext.- BH-5- X-Overs VR-3, RDO-194 tweeters, Larry's Rings, Speakon/Neutrik I/C- Cherry stain tops Advent Maestros,Ohm model E

H/T- Toshiba au40" flat- Yamaha RX- V665 avr- YSD-11 Dock- I-Pod- Klipsch #400HD Speaker set-

Bdrm- Nikko 6065 receiver- JBL -G-200s--Pioneer 305 headphones--Sony CE375-5 disc
  • dkfreebird
    edited August 2014
    Options
    I have even been trying estate sales but if you are not there before it starts you have no chance.I checked out your new rack and it is something like what I put together today.
    2 Channel
    Musical Fidelity M6Si
    North Star Intenso Dac
    Oppo 103
    Pangea PC

• Simplyrandom
    Simplyrandom Posts: 119
    edited August 2014
    Options
    I have been giving some thought to the estate sale thing here lately but I work too much to be able to make an appearance.
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,473
    edited August 2014
    Options
    One of the local pawn shops i stop by said recently they dont take stereo/receivers/speakers anymore because people want the new crap. Needless to say i havent stopped in lately. Or maybe its their way to rid me :smile: Dons a great guy
    Randy/Maine
  • oldrocker
    oldrocker Posts: 2,590
    edited August 2014
    Options
    I have a nephew that works at a pawn shop, nice place, nice people. He has a "must look for" list I gave him. However, if people come in and pay something like $17.00 a month, it can stay in the back room forever. He did call me about a set of "theil's", ran right down to check them out. Some people shoild not be allowed to own sound stuff, they were in horrible shape. Story was some kid got then from his father.
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,558
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Given what a pawn shop gives people for their stuff, most will either CL or EBAY.
    Around here, pawn shops are for the poor and illegals. 10 years ago, there wasn't
    that much choice for most needing money in a hurry.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,534
    Options
    null
    null
    Which pawn shop lol... I may want to pass along a lost since we are so close.... Hehehebe
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • nguyendot
    nguyendot Posts: 3,594
    Options
    Picked up this piece of crap last week at Goodwill

Main Surround -
    Epson 8350 Projector/ Elite Screens 120" / Pioneer Elite SC-35 / Sunfire Signature / Focal Chorus 716s / Focal Chorus CC / Polk MC80 / Polk PSW150 sub

Bedroom - Sharp Aquos 70" 650 / Pioneer SC-1222k / Polk RT-55 / Polk CS-250

Den - Rotel RSP-1068 / Threshold CAS-2 / Boston VR-M60 / BDP-05FD