Audio Midi question for Mac

whgarrett1394
whgarrett1394 Posts: 217
edited August 2014 in Going Digital
I was just looking at my mac audio midi settings and saw that my output was set to 24bit 44100khz. All of my albums are sourced
from cd quality or less(lossy downloads from itunes/amazon) so shouldn't I switch it to 16bit 44100khz? Not sure if I can even tell the difference anyway. Thanks.
KEF Q50 mains, M&K center, Boston Acoustics surround, Marantz SR6007 pre, Emotiva UPA-700, Pioneer DV-46AV, Samsung BD-j7500, Sunfire HRS12 subwoofer
Post edited by whgarrett1394 on

Comments

• AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    edited August 2014
    If you're using iTunes head over to the App Store and buy BitPerfect, it'll automatically change your midi settings on the fly as your source material changes. You can go even further with programs like Amarra that improve the sound, but BitPerfect will handle the sample rate conversion for you.

Right now everything is being resampled to the rate you have selected, and ultimately that's not what you want.
  • whgarrett1394
    whgarrett1394 Posts: 217
    edited August 2014
    Thanks for the advice AsSimilated. I had looked into Amarra before. Very interested. So I should switch to 44100khz/16bit?
    That will minimize the conversions since I only have music ripped from cd, right? Thanks again.
    KEF Q50 mains, M&K center, Boston Acoustics surround, Marantz SR6007 pre, Emotiva UPA-700, Pioneer DV-46AV, Samsung BD-j7500, Sunfire HRS12 subwoofer
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited August 2014
  • footwedge
    footwedge Posts: 475
    Correct

Do you use Amarra and dBpowerAmp? Did not think dbamp would run on a mac.
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    Yes I do, when Amarra decides to cooperate that is, it's very finicky software.

Dbpoweramp is windows only as far as I know, I run it inside a Windows VM I have to use for work anyway, otherwise I'd get a Mac program.
  • footwedge
    footwedge Posts: 475
    Yes I do, when Amarra decides to cooperate that is, it's very finicky software.

Dbpoweramp is windows only as far as I know, I run it inside a Windows VM I have to use for work anyway, otherwise I'd get a Mac program.

Looking at the dbpoeramp site, they are testing a beta program for macs. When they get it worked out I plan to get into the digital process. At that time I will have a lot of questions for you.