placement of crossovers

Systems
Systems Posts: 14,873
edited February 2004 in Car Audio & Electronics
Heres the deal, I want to install the momo seperates in my doors, I have a 1998 accord. I dont want to put the crossovers in the doors because I would like to have access to them. Is it safe to put them in the trunk? Would this have any effect on the sound or performance of these speakers? I have been told many different things on this subject different people. What do you guys think? I've seen it done on some of the cars in the install pics section. Can someonejust tell me for sure what are the drawbacks if any to installing this way? I figure it would take about 15 feet of wire to go from the trunk all the way up and into the doors. JUst let me know. Thanks
B.B.
Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited February 2004
    Have you taken a look to see if the crossovers might fit behind the passenger and driver side foot well kick panels. There is a benefit to placing them there. Which is the use of much larger dia. speaker wire between the amp and the crossovers. (assuming you have an amp and it is located in the trunk area) Also, you save from having to run two sets of wires per channel for both the midwoofer and tweeter saving money on speaker wire. The run between the speakers placed in the door and the crossovers can be as short as just a couple of feet in some cases.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited February 2004
    when i want to hide crossovers for front speakers but still have access to them i put them inside the glove compartment... then its as simple as opening a door and boom there there... without havin to run the speaker wire all the way to the trunk.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited February 2004
    if you have the right size speaker wire...theres nothing really bad about sticking them in the trunk other than theres more of a chance to induce noise...thats about it
    -Cody
  • TheAudioSpectru
    TheAudioSpectru Posts: 57
    edited February 2004
    hehe...that's where the tin foil and electrical tape come in to play...but that's just what i would do.
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited February 2004
    foil + tape = poor smart man's solution to minor noise block.

same way a 2 cent capacitor is a poor smart man's bass blocker --- same ****...

but crackfield did it again - they sell "noise killing insulation foil with adhesive strips" -- thats just fancy words for tin foil and tape.

i should sell some "slightly used but still in good working condition profilactics (spelling)" --- hell, good english can even make used condoms sound like a bargain!
  • TheAudioSpectru
    TheAudioSpectru Posts: 57
    edited February 2004
    Yea,have you ever seen someone use that technique?...the foil that is...
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited February 2004
    i've used it myself -- it works.
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited February 2004
    note this too -- it works even better if you buy 3 foot long pieces of heat shrink tubing -- put the alumnium foil wrapped wire inside the tubing and then heat it up with a heat gun - let it get tight -- then it LOOOOOKKKSSS! good. which is a bonus, cuz just plain foil looks so ghetto..