Sennheiser HD 650

Options
Irrenhaus
Irrenhaus Posts: 1,082
edited August 2014 in Headphones
Just order this ones. Can wait to get them they seem to be very good. I plan in the future to get a TEAC UD-501 it seems to be a good match well let see what happens when they get in...

Cheers
HTAVR-Pioneer SC99XPA-DR3 Differential Reference AmpPolk R-700Rear- RT150Side- RT150Center-CSi5Sub-Rythmik audio F25Player- Panasonic DP-UB9000Projector- Optoma CinemaX P2Screen- Silver Ticket Products STR Series 6 120"Audio Room 2ch rig.Cary AE-3, Onkyo M-504, Marantz SA8005, Azur 851NWharfedale - Linton, SVS SB12-NSDMinis Forum PC (streamer) and Panamax MX5105Headphone rig;Schiit JOTUNHEIM and different headphones.Samsung 42" flat screen TV.
Post edited by Irrenhaus on

Comments

• quicksilvergts
    quicksilvergts Posts: 274
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Very nice. Have been debating my next pair as well.
    600 or the 650. I currently have the 598 and absolutely love them.
    You should have a good match.
    Polk Lsi9
    Polk LsiC
    Polk Fxi3
    Pioneer SC-1222
    Parasound 1200 II w/ Kimber Kable HERO + 4TC
    SVS PB12-NSD (Bash)
    PS4
    Sharp Aquos 55"

"If your BOLD enough to try it,
    your BOLD enough to make it happen"
  • coolsax
    coolsax Posts: 1,824
    edited August 2014
    Options
    very nice. I love mine.. they sound really good with the Teac at my desktop, though I mostly use an Audioquest Dragonfly b/c I'm at my laptop more often.
    Main 2ch -
    BlueSound Node->Ethereal optical cable->Peachtree Audio Nova 150->GoldenEar Triton 2+
    TT - Pro-ject Classic SB with Sumiko Bluepoint.

TV 3.1 system -
    Denon 3500 -> Dynaudio Excite 32/22
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,557
    edited August 2014
    Options
    So how well does the dragonfly drive the Senns?
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • Irrenhaus
    edited August 2014
    Options
    I have also been looking at the DAC amp. It seems small enough to use while I travel.

http://north-america.beyerdynamic.com/shop/a-200-p-us.html

And reviews look good.
    HTAVR-Pioneer SC99XPA-DR3 Differential Reference AmpPolk R-700Rear- RT150Side- RT150Center-CSi5Sub-Rythmik audio F25Player- Panasonic DP-UB9000Projector- Optoma CinemaX P2Screen- Silver Ticket Products STR Series 6 120"Audio Room 2ch rig.Cary AE-3, Onkyo M-504, Marantz SA8005, Azur 851NWharfedale - Linton, SVS SB12-NSDMinis Forum PC (streamer) and Panamax MX5105Headphone rig;Schiit JOTUNHEIM and different headphones.Samsung 42" flat screen TV.
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Congrats! I have a headphone out on my DAC for my 650's.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    edited August 2014
    Options
    sucks2beme wrote: »
    So how well does the dragonfly drive the Senns?
    It can drive them ok, but not to their full potential, not even close really.

I was always more a fan of the 600 over the 650, you give up some bass response but the 600 has a more neutral and natural sound to me.
  • Irrenhaus
    edited August 2014
    Options
    This is getting crazy the more I look the options get better just looking at this DAC/AMP and his little brother also.

http://ifi-audio.com/portfolio-view/micro-idsd/

Little brother

http://ifi-audio.com/portfolio-view/nano-idsd/

Also this one's look nice

http://www.ibasso.com/en/products/show.asp?ID=63

The rabbit hole is getting deeper....:')

Cheers
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,067
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Did you contemplate getting the Philips Fidelio X1's as well, Irrenhaus? From what I have read I believe they're similar.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited August 2014
    Options
    I have the X1 and have a post here about them. I personally prefer the X1, nut the HD600 is still a fantastic headphone.
  • Irrenhaus
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Nightfall wrote: »
    Did you contemplate getting the Philips Fidelio X1's as well, Irrenhaus? From what I have read I believe they're similar.

They look nice. But this is my first venture in high end headphones so will see.

Cheers
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited August 2014
    Options
    I HIGHLY recommend that anyone looking at the Senn 600 or 650 also audition the Fidelio X1. The X1 can be had for around $250 on Amazon and really does warrant an audition.

I personally like them over the Senns, and while I won't guarantee you will come to the same conclusion you should at least try them out if you can. The Senns do some things better, but as an overall package I prefer the X1's more fun and involving sound. The two are more similar than they are different, with the X1 having a little more bass and a bit more extended treble.
  • Irrenhaus
    edited August 2014
    Options
    I HIGHLY recommend that anyone looking at the Senn 600 or 650 also audition the Fidelio X1. The X1 can be had for around $250 on Amazon and really does warrant an audition.

I personally like them over the Senns, and while I won't guarantee you will come to the same conclusion you should at least try them out if you can. The Senns do some things better, but as an overall package I prefer the X1's more fun and involving sound. The two are more similar than they are different, with the X1 having a little more bass and a bit more extended treble.

Hey thanks for the input. The reason I went with the HD650 is because I got them using travel miles. One perk of a lot of work travel. If I find that don't like them I can always put them up for sale..

As for the amp/dac It seems that I will go with the Ifi NANO good reviews and got a good response from Ifi.

Cheers
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    edited August 2014
    Options
    I have many headphones I upgraded thru from the Senn598'2 to grado RS2i to hifi He-400's to Senn HD650's.

I think the HD650's are excellent and my favorite phones :) I used them with a WOO WA3 and their a match made in heaven to me and I couldn't be happy & my search has ended for now!
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,557
    edited August 2014
    Options
    I still have a hd-650 with cardas cable. They are good, but never were quite what I wanted out of a headphone.
    I still have them, but mostly use akg-q701's and Grado ps500's. The bass side of 650's just never quite sounded right.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • Irrenhaus
    Options
    Hi

Got this one today. I will comment more when the headphones are in.

Fiio E17 Basic but for starters will be okay.

i6n2tvc8yvlq.jpg

Cheers
  • Irrenhaus
    Options
    They will arrive on Tuesday cant wait, after a good burn-in I will post comments........

Cheers
  • voltz
    Options
    Congrats & Enjoy them!

It is important to also match the Headphone to the headphone amp also, as Senn's are mostly 300ohm and the Grado & others are 32ohm. So my Senn HD650's are excellent with the Woo WA3 but my Grado Rs2i sound like junk with it and distort by the time you crank it up a bit. But some amps can handle both just fine.
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

• Irrenhaus
    Options
    voltz wrote: »
    Congrats & Enjoy them!

It is important to also match the Headphone to the headphone amp also, as Senn's are mostly 300ohm and the Grado & others are 32ohm. So my Senn HD650's are excellent with the Woo WA3 but my Grado Rs2i sound like junk with it and distort by the time you crank it up a bit. But some amps can handle both just fine.

That Woo WA3 looks nice. I got the Fiio E17 pictured above I will post comments after Tuesday. Was looking for something more portable I do a lot of travel for work and it was a bit more convenient. Thanks for the advise. I do plan to later get a Teac UD-501 for the house and seems to have a nice headphone amp section.

Cheers
  • voltz
    Options
    I like what I've read about the E17, it has many fans so let me know how it goes. and I really looked hard a getting a Teac UD-501 and the only reason I didn't is I got a SACD player that became my new DAC.

• eeagle
    eeagle Posts: 226
    Options
    I currently use my HD580's with an Aune X1, or a Meridian Explorer, a recent DAC acquisition I really like. The HD580 to the best of my knowledge have the same drivers as the HD600, just in a plastic housing I like them a lot, but are no longer in production. Most reviews I have read favor the 600 over the 650.

That said I agree with the previous remark about the Philips Fidelio X1. They just make one SMILE. They are my current favorite open headphone. The construction angles the drivers like in the HD700's and the sound although slightly favoring the low end (compared to the HD580) makes for enjoyable listening.
    SDA SRS 1.2
    Adcom GFA-5802
    Adcom GFP-750
    Sony DVP-NS999ES
  • Irrenhaus
    Options
    Finally there here. They sound great out of the box and the Fiio is not bad. Both will burn in all day tomorrow while ate work and then try again at night.

Cheers
  • Irrenhaus
    Options
    Well so far the first impressions are great. This things sound great just out of the box. I know they will get better after a good burn in. The Fiio17 is doing a great job. I tried regular MP3 and also HD Tracks at 96 and 192 all I can say is WOW. The bass is very nice and the voices sound very define and center stage is really good.

This is what I try and the Oppo was the source.

Nirvana Nevermind (remastered 96/24)
    Tool (lossless)
    The Very Best of Diana Krall (lossless)
    Marquise Knox Here I Am (192/24)
    Draco Rosa Vida (lossless)
    ZZ Top
    Adele 21 (lossless)
    Adele Skyfall (96/24)
    Bush Sixteen Stone
    Buika En Mi Piel

At the moment they are traveling with me. So more listening while on the road.

Cheers