Opinions - Receivers vs. Separate Components?

Pastor Bill
Pastor Bill Posts: 130
edited August 2014 in Electronics
Howdy:
Just for fun...opinions sought on receivers vs. components. I appreciate the thrift and convenience of the receiver, while being well aware of some of the arguments against it.
Jesus said "I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but through Me." - John 14:6

NAD 7140, Fried Model Qs, Pioneer PD-4700
Post edited by Pastor Bill on

Comments

• Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    edited July 2014
    By the time you get to a receiver that has the power of a 2 5 or 7 channel legit 200 wpc, (don't even know if a 5 or 7 channel 200 wpc all channels driven receiver exists) you can buy separates. When you then have a nice pre pro you can swap it out for the next best thing and still keep the amp.
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • krabby5
    krabby5 Posts: 923
    edited July 2014
    For me it's an easy decision. I don't have a dedicated listening/theatre room, and I live in a condo/apt. I just have a Pioneer Elite and love it.
    Pioneer Elite VSX-53, Polk RT800i fronts, Polk CS400i center, FX500i surround, Velodyne sub
  • deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    edited July 2014
    krabby5 wrote: »
    For me it's an easy decision. I don't have a dedicated listening/theatre room, and I live in a condo/apt. I just have a Pioneer Elite and love it.

Yup. It depends on what you are trying to accomplish, and what you are trying to power. I had no problem powering my bookies with my Pio. They are fairly sensitive and 8 ohms. When you factor in subs doing the grunt work, really not a lot of power is needed. I just got an amp because i am looking at some 4 ohm bookies. So a good amp can lead to more options for ya.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,923
    edited July 2014
    It's all good :-) but... I think that, if one is fairly serious about the hobby of quality reproduction of audio... one will gravitate, sooner or later, towards separate components for flexibility and for optimization. No one manufacturer makes the best EVERYTHING.

maybe this 'stock' photo of my hifi gives some sense of its bits & pieces... :-P

10127640096_8a6d5a7584_b.jpgDSC_8060 by mhardy6647, on Flickr
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited July 2014
    Separates/integrateds/receivers. In that order.

But if you really want to run two channel with a receiver. I HIGHLY recommend going "vintage". Those old receivers just Kick modern day AVRs A$$s, in power and sound.

I have an underpowered HK 430 (25 watts x 2). It weighs MORE than most 80-100 watt modern AVRs at about 25 lbs. It has TWO transformers and 4 large storage caps and it sounds wonderful! And easily outperforms most 50 watt x 2 channel contemporary receivers! In fact, it makes most 100 watt a channel AVRs sound like Sxxt in 2 channel.

Those old school units are just over-built and built for STEREO only!

Of course you won't have remote capability or surround sound, of a sub-out.

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • Mystery
    Mystery Posts: 2,546
    edited July 2014
    (don't even know if a 5 or 7 channel 200 wpc all channels driven receiver exists)
    Not a receiver but...
    5-channel 200wpc... Adcom 7705 but it'll cost you...
    GFA_7705_4d422d85d5db0.jpg

5 and 7-channel 300wpc... Adcom 7805/7807 but it'll cost even more... :wink:
    More here...
    http://www.adcom-usa.com/home-theater-amplifiers

Klipsch RB81, KG3.5, B&W DM602.5, Polk.
    Subwoofers: Klipsch RW10, Triad ProSub Bronze.
  • Sci-fi Polk Guy
    Sci-fi Polk Guy Posts: 194
    edited July 2014
    Paradigm 11seMkIII mains, w/ Zu Audio jumpers
    Paradigm CC 450 center, w/ Zu Audio jumpers
    Polk Audio RTi6 surrounds
    Paradigm SE sub
    Sony BDP S5100 blu-ray player
    Panasonic 50" plasma
    Yamaha RX A1000 receiver
    Parasound HCA 1205A amp
    Audioquest Evergreen IC's
  • Sci-fi Polk Guy
    Sci-fi Polk Guy Posts: 194
    edited July 2014
    cnh wrote: »
    Separates/integrateds/receivers. In that order.

But if you really want to run two channel with a receiver. I HIGHLY recommend going "vintage". Those old receivers just Kick modern day AVRs A$$s, in power and sound.

I have an underpowered HK 430 (25 watts x 2). It weighs MORE than most 80-100 watt modern AVRs at about 25 lbs. It has TWO transformers and 4 large storage caps and it sounds wonderful! And easily outperforms most 50 watt x 2 channel contemporary receivers! In fact, it makes most 100 watt a channel AVRs sound like Sxxt in 2 channel.

Those old school units are just over-built and built for STEREO only!

Of course you won't have remote capability or surround sound, of a sub-out.

cnh

+1 about the vintage receivers. I remember when I was in college, Kenwood and Sansui receivers were the BOMB!! They were very powerful, and they had an almost tubelike sound to them. In that day, speakers by manufacturers such as BIC, Cerwin-Vega, and Pioneer had HUGE woofers, 12 and 15 inches. That was during the disco era; the more boom, the better. Those receivers could drive those woofers to a level that would get your resident assistant knocking at your door!!
    Paradigm 11seMkIII mains, w/ Zu Audio jumpers
    Paradigm CC 450 center, w/ Zu Audio jumpers
    Polk Audio RTi6 surrounds
    Paradigm SE sub
    Sony BDP S5100 blu-ray player
    Panasonic 50" plasma
    Yamaha RX A1000 receiver
    Parasound HCA 1205A amp
    Audioquest Evergreen IC's
  • xjghost
    xjghost Posts: 1,080
    edited July 2014
    Mystery wrote: »
    Not a receiver but...
    5-channel 200wpc... Adcom 7705 but it'll cost you...
    GFA_7705_4d422d85d5db0.jpg

5 and 7-channel 300wpc... Adcom 7805/7807 but it'll cost even more... :wink:
    More here...
    http://www.adcom-usa.com/home-theater-amplifiers

IDK why but for some reason I was thinking Adcom was defunct.

I had a teacher that had a full stereo in the late 80's all made by them. I pretty much see that as my "dream I have more money then sense" stereo.
    +1 about the vintage receivers. I remember when I was in college, Kenwood and Sansui receivers were the BOMB!! They were very powerful, and they had an almost tubelike sound to them. In that day, speakers by manufacturers such as BIC, Cerwin-Vega, and Pioneer had HUGE woofers, 12 and 15 inches. That was during the disco era; the more boom, the better. Those receivers could drive those woofers to a level that would get your resident assistant knocking at your door!!

I got a Kenwood KR-V8020 in the late 80's early 90's while I was in College to power my Monitor 10's. I love it. Still do. However, it has some issues. Been looking for a replacement for my bedroom. I find this thread very educational! Please carry on!
    HT/2Channel: Emotiva MMC-1, Adcom GFA-555II, Polk SDA 3.1's, Teac TN-300 TT, Polk Center and Sub.

Bedroom system: Carver CT-24, Parasound HCA-800II, Monitor 10's

Additional projects: RTA 12c's
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    edited July 2014
    All depends on your needs....and wallet. A receiver makes a lot of sense for a lot of people. Receivers though, are a swiss army knife of audio components. Able to do many things but none optimally. Obviously for 2 channel reproduction, better awaits you than a receiver, not that you can't use one, just that better is out there. In the end, if it floats your boat using a receiver for 2 channel, who gives a snott....enjoy.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Msabot1
    Msabot1 Posts: 2,098
    edited July 2014
    Roger that TB....it's all about application and personnel needs....
  • tophatjohnny
    tophatjohnny Posts: 4,162
    edited July 2014
    tonyb wrote: »
    All depends on your needs....and wallet. . In the end, if it floats your boat using a receiver for 2 channel, who gives a snott....enjoy.

That's snott funny!! That;s for real though!
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • Pastor Bill
    Pastor Bill Posts: 130
    edited July 2014
    I've been quite happy with my 40 wpc NAD 7140.

Until I started frequenting this forum. (wink)

Used to have a Sansui GS-7500...never should have sold it. With what I know now...I could have fixed most of the problems it developed. Live and learn...hopefully.
    Jesus said "I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but through Me." - John 14:6

NAD 7140, Fried Model Qs, Pioneer PD-4700
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited July 2014
    I started out with Rotel 2 channel separates, then went to a receiver, now I'm back to separates and here is where I'm going to stay.

I don't understand why people give themselves false limitations it comes to gear. Like only having a receiver if you live in an apt. I have always lived in apts, and whether 2 channel or full blown 5.2 channels HT, it sounded just as good in my 400sq ft apt. As it now does in my 670 sq ft apt.

Having the amp allows me to enjoy my speakers no matter where the volume knob is, and I have yet to get a complaint from my neighbors about it being too loud. But then again I'm respectful and don't blast it late at night.

Nor do I understand the notion of overkill, or needing 2 separate systems for music and HT.

Get what you want after careful research, and don't let anyone else try to convince you that some made up limitation is what should be followed.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • mhardy6647
    edited July 2014
    There were/are some pretty nice two-channel receivers (even now, e.g., Outlaw still makes a pretty cool one -- or at least they did, last I knew)...

9684902015_7f08b92deb_b.jpgDSC_6680 by mhardy6647, on Flickr

... it can be a lot of stuff to put into one box, running off one power supply, though.
  • Mystery
    Mystery Posts: 2,546
    edited July 2014
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    There were/are some pretty nice two-channel receivers (even now, e.g., Outlaw still makes a pretty cool one -- or at least they did, last I knew)...

9684902015_7f08b92deb_b.jpgDSC_6680 by mhardy6647, on Flickr
    ... it can be a lot of stuff to put into one box, running off one power supply, though.

Is that a 2030?
    Here is my 1020.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=98561&d=1402539089
    attachment.php?attachmentid=98560&d=1402539089

Klipsch RB81, KG3.5, B&W DM602.5, Polk.
    Subwoofers: Klipsch RW10, Triad ProSub Bronze.
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited July 2014
    Those old Yamahas are so distinguished looking.

I have a CR-800 that does wonders with a pair of ADS L520 bookies (only 50 watts x 2) but it manhandles the speakers, nicely!

I believe Mark has a CR-2020 there one model down from the elusive BEAST CR-3020 (81.4 lbs, 160 watts x 2)?

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • mhardy6647
    edited July 2014
    That's a CR-2020 and the later (and inferior) R-1000 in the photo.
    I've gotta admit, I'd like to have a CR-3020... they're out there... but they're 'spensive.
  • krabby5
    edited August 2014
    cfrizz wrote: »
    I started out with Rotel 2 channel separates, then went to a receiver, now I'm back to separates and here is where I'm going to stay.

I don't understand why people give themselves false limitations it comes to gear. Like only having a receiver if you live in an apt. I have always lived in apts, and whether 2 channel or full blown 5.2 channels HT, it sounded just as good in my 400sq ft apt. As it now does in my 670 sq ft apt.

Having the amp allows me to enjoy my speakers no matter where the volume knob is, and I have yet to get a complaint from my neighbors about it being too loud. But then again I'm respectful and don't blast it late at night.

Nor do I understand the notion of overkill, or needing 2 separate systems for music and HT.

Get what you want after careful research, and don't let anyone else try to convince you that some made up limitation is what should be followed.

Whatever floats your boat. I'm happy with my Pioneer Elite. I have way too many other hobbies to worry about. Currently in a band that pays for a practice space...I have a PS4...arcade machine. I can't throw thousands into HT as well. It's just an opinion.
    Pioneer Elite VSX-53, Polk RT800i fronts, Polk CS400i center, FX500i surround, Velodyne sub
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,860
    edited August 2014

Nor do I understand the notion of overkill......

I think that is evident with 405WPC in a 400 sq. ft. apartment, but maybe that's just me........JK
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • cfrizz
    edited August 2014
    I think that is evident with 405WPC in a 400 sq. ft. apartment, but maybe that's just me........JK

ROTFLOL!!!! Too true Dennis!

But in reality, the speakers only take what they need to operate to their full potential. I don't know how much they are using or when, nor do I care. For me what is important is that the power is there for the speakers to access when they need it.

I wanted a 5 channel amp, of at least 200wpc, and Sunfire was the only company that made one that I can/could physically lift at that time weighing in at 43lbs, around the same weight as my Parasound 1500A.

Well now that I have a bad right elbow, I can no longer even lift my Sunfire. So if it ever dies, I will have to now get one of the digital amps from Rotel or some other company that makes lightweight amps. But at least they exist now for me to be able to buy one!
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,860
    edited August 2014
    Just bustin' chops Cathy.....I've always thought that your practical views on choosing gear was refreshing.
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • Thorton
    Thorton Posts: 1,324
    edited August 2014
    i think that is evident with 405wpc in a 400 sq. Ft. Apartment, but maybe that's just me........jk

bring the power!!!
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________
    Ethernet Filter: GigaFOILv4 with Keces P3 LPS
    Source: Roon via ethernet to DAC interface
    DAC: Bricasti M1SE
    Pre/Pro: Marantz AV8805
    Tube Preamp Buffer: Tortuga TPB.V1
    Amp1: Nord One NC1200DM Signature, Amp2: W4S MC-5, AMP3: W4S MMC-7
    Front: Salk SoundScape 8's, Center: Salk SoundScape C7
    Surround: Polk FXIA6, Surround Back: Polk RTIA9, Atmos: Polk 70-RT
    Subs: 2 - Rythmik F25's
    IC & Speaker Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, Signal Cable
    Power Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, PS Audio
    Room Treatments: GIK Acoustics
  • cfrizz
    edited August 2014
    Whatever floats your boat. I'm happy with my Pioneer Elite. I have way too many other hobbies to worry about. Currently in a band that pays for a practice space...I have a PS4...arcade machine. I can't throw thousands into HT as well. It's just an opinion.

Ahhh there is the second piece of info you left out in your first statement that makes sense.

Your first statement made it sound as if you were saying if you just live in an apt and don't have a dedicated listening room then there is no reason to have separates, which just doesn't make sense and is a false limitation.

The truth, is that you have a ton of other hobbies into which to sink your disposable income in to therefore, you are happy with a receiver. This makes sense thank you!
  • pearsall001
    pearsall001 Posts: 4,981
    edited August 2014
    For me it wasn't a difficult decision. I knew I wanted to go to an 11.2 HT/Music system. But at the time I only had 7 channels of outboard amplification. I needed the AVR to handle the other 4 channels. The Yammie in my sig fit that bill perfectly. It is one heck of an AVR that is superb sounding for both music & HT soundtracks. No qualms at all with that bad boy. Now that I've added another 4 channels of outboard amplification the Yammie feels mighty lonely not using it's amps. And for the future, now that I have the entire 11 channels amped I can now maybe consider an 11.2 channel AV Preamp. Yamaha just recently came out with their CX-A5000 11.2 channel preamp. I think Integra also has one. But for now I'm more than content & don't see a need to go the separate route. Now I can't wait for Dolby Atmos!!!!
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.
  • krabby5
    edited August 2014
    Ahhh there is the second piece of info you left out in your first statement that makes sense.

Your first statement made it sound as if you were saying if you just live in an apt and don't have a dedicated listening room then there is no reason to have separates, which just doesn't make sense and is a false limitation.

The truth, is that you have a ton of other hobbies into which to sink your disposable income in to therefore, you are happy with a receiver. This makes sense thank you!

well..at least my guitar amps have tubes!