Confused

Phillip
Phillip Posts: 1
edited February 2004 in Car Audio & Electronics
Confused and getting frustrated. I own a 1999 Dodge Ram 1500 extended cab and want to rip out the crappy factory speakers, and install a 250 watt kenwood 2 channel amp. I dont know what size speakers I need for the front. 6-9's or 6-5. I dont want to have to refab the fornt door to fit a pair of speakers. I went to cruthfields fit and found that 6-9 wouldnt fit the front and that only 5 1/4 will fit the back panels. Polk states that 6-9s will fit the front and that 6-5' will fit in the rear panel. I want to drive the fornt speakers with the amp and use my sony md headunit to drive the rear speakers. Also gonna go with polk speakers what ever size I need. thanks in advanced for in info.
Post edited by Phillip on

Comments

• sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited February 2004
    i dont have any experience with that truck, but what id do is go to circuit city...theres a 99% chance theyre going to know what fits and what doesnt
    -Cody
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited February 2004
    I owned a 2000 Ram which is the same body style as yours. The door speakers are 6x9s. You can fab up an adapter plate to make 6.5s fit or get a local shop to make you one pretty cheap if you dont want the 6x9s. The Momo 6x9s will fit but you will have to use a spacer and do some whacking on the door and even then it leaves absolutely no room to spare. 6.5s wont be as deep and will fit with the adapter plate. If you just want to do a plain old swap out Id give the DB 6x9s a look.

The rear are 5 1/4. LOL, those are easy.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited February 2004
    personally, id get the adapter plate and get some 6 1/2s up front
    possibly even polks 8" sub under the rear bench
    -Cody
  • MTXMAN
    MTXMAN Posts: 682
    edited February 2004
    why on earth do people keep buying sony hu's... you'd think people would learn...
    Hemi: (HEM -e) adj. Mopar in type, V8, hot tempered, native to the United States, carnivorous, eats primarily Mustangs, Camaros, and Corvettes. Also enjoys smoking a good import now and then to relax.
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited February 2004
    Originally posted by MTXMAN
    why on earth do people keep buying sony hu's... you'd think people would learn...
    duh...b/c everyone knows Xplod is the **** nit!
    and its red too...:rolleyes:
    -Cody
  • TrappedUnder Ice
    TrappedUnder Ice Posts: 975
    edited February 2004
    MTXMan...some wonder the samething about polk speakers :D
  • MacLeod
    edited February 2004
    Well I just happen to be a closet Sony fan. Virtually every piece of electronic equimpent is Sony. Computer, TV, DVD , VCR, home stereo, camcorder, digital cam and on and on. However I cant bring myself to buy any of their car audio gear.
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • MTXMAN
    MTXMAN Posts: 682
    edited February 2004
    Originally posted by TrappedUnder Ice
    MTXMan...some wonder the samething about polk speakers :D

yeah, but the difference is that polk speakers are actually good, sony car audio sucks all around (with the exception of the coolness factor of the hu with the tft display even i gotta give them props for that one)... albeit imho polk subs arn't as powerfull as i like they do sound beautiful when paired with an equal quality amp but their component sets and coax speakers are damn good, i'm in love with my mm6's...
    Hemi: (HEM -e) adj. Mopar in type, V8, hot tempered, native to the United States, carnivorous, eats primarily Mustangs, Camaros, and Corvettes. Also enjoys smoking a good import now and then to relax.
  • TheAudioSpectru
    TheAudioSpectru Posts: 57
    edited February 2004
    oh yea sony camcorders and cameras are cool...but as for the subs,amps,and HU's i would rather do without then to own any...or the best thing i found to do with them...is to gather a bunch of sony car stereo equipment up and throw it in the back of the truck for a lil extra weight and traction in the winter...:)
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited February 2004
    i've got two of those trucks...

you'll want 6x9's in front or 6 1/2's -- crutchfield is on acid... just about any 6x9 will fit -- the polk DX9's are deep as **** and those fit (barely) so any other 6x9 on earth ought to fit (maybe not the momo 6x9 tho-- might have to go DB).

the rear is 6.5"

you can get a plate for the front if you want -- it'll let u put 6.5" in front instead of 6x9 --- www.sounddomain.com has them for like 11 bucks for a pair... saves u the time of cutting a plate yourself.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • TheAudioSpectru
    TheAudioSpectru Posts: 57
    edited February 2004
    The Momo 6x9 may fit if you take the lil plastic magnet cap of the bottom....just a thought
  • MacLeod
    edited February 2004
    The depth isnt as big a problem as the width of the basket. Its almost as wide as the speaker itself. Thats the problem I had. In order to get them to fit you have to cut out around the whole in the door. Even now it still slightly rubs the window gear and it pushes out against the door panel. Whoever designed these things definitely didnt have door installations in mind! If you are up for the job though its well worth the effort. These are the best sounding 6x9s on the market!!