Full Range Driver versus 2 Way - opinions?

Options
Pastor Bill
Pastor Bill Posts: 130
edited July 2014 in Speakers
OK, just for fun (and to bump up my post count to the "magic" 100,) I'm gathering opinions regarding a full range driver vs. a two-way with crossover. Have at it, fellows!
Jesus said "I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but through Me." - John 14:6

NAD 7140, Fried Model Qs, Pioneer PD-4700
Post edited by Pastor Bill on

Comments

• cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Of course everyone strives for a point source performance, but it's not as easy to get that full range with one driver as it should be. A LOT is involved in the selection of that driver and incredible amounts of research into cabinets is necessary. Then there is powering them. If you're interested in all that "technical jazz", google Nelson Pass's work with One Watt and single driver speakers! I can't say that I understand everything there, but I'm NOT an engineer.

You seem to be all over the place if you don't mind me saying so. Are you considering a one driver system? Or are you just putting "everything" on the table, because that's a daunting task that could take a lifetime to answer!

Perhaps some of the members here who actually work with crossovers and crossover design could chime in.

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • Pastor Bill
    edited July 2014
    Options
    I'm all over the place partly due to the 100 post requirement. There are several kits available reasonably enough that a single driver pair of speakers would be a fun project. Just having fun and learning what I can.
    Jesus said "I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but through Me." - John 14:6

• WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    edited July 2014
    Options
    I listened to a special 3" fullrange drivers some years ago that I thought had potential as a stand alone driver mid/high freq driver. The top end was pretty impressive. However, Imo opinion with drivers like the Uni Q from Kef are the route I would take over a fullrange.

http://kef.com/html/us/innovation/uni-q/index.html
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,049
    edited July 2014
    Options
    9598891997_cb427c3552_b.jpgDSC_5663 by mhardy6647, on Flickr

Full-range drivers are a fun diversion with some beguiling features --but I wouldn't want to live with 'em every day.

There are many, many (many) choices for drivers; I like (among many others) the Fostex FE-207E (shown in simple bass reflex cabinets in the photo above), but these are unfortunately no longer made. In terms of vintage (and affordable) full-range drivers, the Electrovoice Wolverine LS-8 (an 8" twincone with a beautifully-made cast aluminum basket, 2" edgewound copper voice coil and AlNiCo magnet) is a nice and relatively inexpensive choice.

Oh, another fave driver was the venerable (also, alas, no longer made) Radio Shack 40-1354 5-1/4" twincone driver. I have a pair of these in mass loaded folded, tapered quarter-wave tubes (pipes) -- designed by Bob Brines -- that sound very, very good.

9599007591_1f3e441faf_b.jpgDSC_6399 by mhardy6647, on Flickr

Next you're going to be asking us about open baffles, aren't you? ;-)
  • Pastor Bill
    edited July 2014
    Options
    One can never tell, Mhardy. Thanks for your detailed reply.

• halo71
    halo71 Posts: 4,572
    edited July 2014
    Options
    You keep mentioning the 100 post thingy. So have you got a boat load of gear to sell or are you looking to buy? Just curious.
    --Gary--
    Onkyo Integra M504, Bottlehead Foreplay III, Denon SACD, Thiel CS2.3, NHT VT-2, VT-3 and Evolution T6, Infinity RSIIIa, SDA1C and a few dozen other speakers around the house I change in and out.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    edited July 2014
    Options
    I'm all over the place partly due to the 100 post requirement. .

If that's the case, I can assure you there is no magical deals in the FM, no cheap as dirt speakers you can't buy anywhere else.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Jim Shearer
    Jim Shearer Posts: 369
    edited July 2014
    Options
    There are a number of sites to check out if you are interested in single full range drivers (or perhaps SFRD w/ bass support).

Have a look at Bob Brines site:
    http://brinesacoustics.com/

For those who want a Cliff's Notes version: If you want ear bleed SPL or big thumpin' bass, look elsewhere. If you are bothered by the anomalies resulting from XO in the range where our ears are most sensitive (something which is common in multi-way speaker systems), then you may want to check out SFRDs.

As with multi-way speakers, not all SFRDs are created equal. And it is nearly impossible to find an audio store where you can audition SFRDs.

If you want recommendations on designs that you could build, then define your specific interests: types of music, room size/shape, SPL requirements, up-stream electronics, and price range.

Cheers, Jim
    A day without music is like a day without food.
  • Pastor Bill
    edited July 2014
    Options
    halo71 wrote: »
    You keep mentioning the 100 post thingy. So have you got a boat load of gear to sell or are you looking to buy? Just curious.

Looking to buy, Gary. I don't often sell anything. That's why I seem to be so OCD about this whole thing. Once I buy it, I usually hang on to it for a long time. To wit:
    Current motorcycle Yamaha VStar 1100 Classic...since 2002.
    Kept my Chevy S10 until I didn't feel like maintaining it anymore. 1987 till about 2005 or 2006.
    Stereo system since about 1979. Just now considering upgrading speakers. If one hadn't blown the woofer...I wouldn't be here.
    My bride - 21 years and counting. Ain't getting rid of her, either. (wink)

• Pastor Bill
    edited July 2014
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    If that's the case, I can assure you there is no magical deals in the FM, no cheap as dirt speakers you can't buy anywhere else.

True enough...but vintage Polks are somewhat of a rarity around these parts...meaning within reasonable driving distance.

• tonyb
    edited July 2014
    Options
    True enough...but vintage Polks are somewhat of a rarity around these parts...meaning within reasonable driving distance.

Rarity here too, lol. Plus the ones we do get, hardly anyone wants to ship them, the cost would be as much as the speakers.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,072
    edited July 2014
    Options

Monitor 4's
    http://gainesville.craigslist.org/ele/4531797251.html

RT55's
    http://orlando.craigslist.org/ele/4540897366.html

RTA15TL's (maybe they would sell them seperate)
    http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/ele/4539950446.html

Monitor 5JR's
    http://orlando.craigslist.org/ele/4528647404.html

What were you saying about rare?
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • Pastor Bill
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Nightfall:
    Thanks, I've seen those. I'm considering the Monitor 4s and they are only about 30 minutes away. The others are all 1.5 - 2 hours away.

• mhardy6647
    edited July 2014
    Options
    The original Monitor 4 series -- with the Peerless silk dome tweeter -- are very nice little loudspeakers (IMO, of course).
  • tonyb
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Nightfall:
    Thanks, I've seen those. I'm considering the Monitor 4s and they are only about 30 minutes away. The others are all 1.5 - 2 hours away.

2 hours is still an acceptable distance in my book.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,072
    edited July 2014
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    2 hours is still an acceptable distance in my book.
    Me too.

*whispers* We must keep trying to dissuade him from gaining entrance to the super secret FS forum where a pair of SDA's sell every week for $50! :lol:
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • Pastor Bill
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Nightfall wrote: »
    Me too.

*whispers* We must keep trying to dissuade him from gaining entrance to the super secret FS forum where a pair of SDA's sell every week for $50! :lol:

Indeed. :lol:

• Dawgfish
    Dawgfish Posts: 2,554
    edited July 2014
    Options
    It all depends on the design and execution of either. I have a pair of ZU Omens that are essentially a full range design and frankly I don't ever see myself getting rid of them now. They are very sensitive to equipment and placement, but once you get them dialed in they are worth every bit of time it takes to do so. The dynamics, quickness, realism, and flat out fun factor of them are off the charts! Having said that I have several other multi driver, crossovered speakers that I love also. Again, its all about the design and execution of each individual speaker.
  • mhardy6647
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Dawgfish wrote: »
    ... The dynamics, quickness, realism, and flat out fun factor of them are off the charts! ...

ahem ;-)

13270901304_d8777ac50d_b.jpgDSC_8928 by mhardy6647, on Flickr