DVD-A or SACD for classical?

Options
organ
organ Posts: 4,969
edited February 2004 in 2 Channel Audio
Just wondering which format have more classical/opera music so if I decide to get one in the future I'd know. Also, can any DVD-A or SACD disc run hi-res in 2ch only?

Thanks

Maurice
Post edited by organ on

Comments

• pjdami
    pjdami Posts: 1,894
    edited February 2004
    Options
    Hey Maurice. If its a hybrid SACD you can play the two channel as well. Here's an example:

Product Description
    The Dark Side of The Moon by Pink Floyd was released on March 24 1973, and since, has become one of the most succesful albums of all time, selling in excess of 35 million copies worldwide. To celebrate the 30th anniversary of this classic and groundbreaking album, The Dark Side of The Moon has been re-issued as a Hybrid SACD combining a remastered stereo version, and, for the first time ever, a mindblowing 5.1 Surround Sound mix.
    This Super Audio CD (SACD) features two disc layers. Layer one contains a standard version of the Pink Floyd masterpiece that works on any CD player. Layer two includes high-resolution stereo and a 5.1 surround version that works on SACD-compatible DVD players and home theater systems. Both layers employ SACD's Direct Stream Digital (DSD) encoding process that samples the music 64 times faster than CD for unprecedented fidelity.

The SACD format will also feature updated artwork of this classic album sleeve from original designer Storm Thorgerson.

Album Notes
    This is a Hybrid Super Audio CD playable on both regular and Super Audio CD Players.
    All tracks were re-mixed in 5.1 Surround sound from the original 16-track master tapes.
    Includes new artwork and a new booklet by original designer Storm Thorgerson.
    Pink Floyd: David Gilmour (vocals, guitar, VCS3 synthesizer); Roger Waters (vocals, VCS3 synthesizer, bass, sound effects); Richard Wright (keyboards, VCS3 synthesizer, background vocals); Nick Mason (drums, percussion, sound effects).
    Additional personnel: Clare Torry (vocals); Dick Parry (saxophone); Doris Troy, Leslie Duncan, Liza Strike, Barry St. John (background vocals).
    Recorded at Abbey Road Studios, London, England between June 1972 & January 1973.
  • Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited February 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by organ
    ...can any DVD-A or SACD disc run hi-res in 2ch only?

Not just any, but most SACD's do have a standard Redbook (cd) layer. You'll need to check each disc your considering.

I'm fairly certain that most DVD-A disc's also contain a 2 channel track. Be carefull though, I have a Dave Bruebeck DTS disc that does not have a 2 channel track.
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • tonyv1
    tonyv1 Posts: 365
    edited February 2004
    Options
    A hybrid SACD contains a "redbook CD" and an SACD layer. Now that could also include a multichannel SACD layer. ALL SACDs have to contain a stereo SACD layer because that's part of the specifications and those that contain only a stereo SACD layer are known as SL (single layer) SACDs. These are what Sony released at the start of SACD.
  • cmy330go
    cmy330go Posts: 2,341
    edited February 2004
    Options
    I was told by a Sony rep a few months ago that all SACD albums from here on out are going to be hybrid.

And just as a side note. Dark Side of the Moon was also rereleased on VINYL at the same time. (It sounds awsome)

Happy Listening
    HT
    Mits WD-65737, DirecTV, Oppo DV-970HD, XBOX ONE, Yamaha RX-A1030, Parasound Halo A23, Rotel RB-985, Music Hall MMF-7, Parasound PPH-100, LSi-15, LSi-C, LSi-FX, LSi-7, PSW-1000, Monster HTS2600

2 CH
    Parasound Halo P3, Parasound Halo A21, Sutherland Ph.D, VPI Classic 3 w/ 3D arm & Soundsmith Aida Cartridge, Arcam CD72T, B&W 802 S3, Monster HTS2500,
  • PolkWannabie
    PolkWannabie Posts: 2,763
    edited February 2004
    Options
    It did when it first came out too ...

I still have my DSOM T-Shirt from the concert tour that immediately followed the initial release.
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited February 2004
    Options
    Thanks a lot for the help guys. So it looks like SACD is better for 2ch? I still have one question unanswered. Which format have better classical/opera selection?

Thanks

Maurice
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,805
    edited February 2004
    Options
    SACD has by far, more classical releases and the pure DSD ones are out of this world.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Loud &amp; Clear
    Loud &amp; Clear Posts: 1,538
    edited February 2004
    Options
    I'm not sure why SACD would be "better" than DVD-A for two channel. I only have three DVD-As, but they all have hirez two channel tracks, and they sound fantastic. In fact, I've actually been more impressed with my DVD-As than I have my SACDs, but that could be a result of not having a great many titles, as well as my equipment.

Oh, and since removing the 800is and replacing them with the 55is, I've taken to going straight two channel with my hirez (no sub either) and redbooks ... with great results.

Two Channel Setup:

Speakers: Wharfedale Opus 2-3
    Integrated Amp: Krell S-300i
    DAC: Arcam irDac
    Source: iMac
    Remote Control: iPad Mini

3.2 Home Theater Setup:

Fronts: Klipsch RP-160M
    Center: Klipsch RP-160M
    Subwoofer: SVS PB12NSD (X 2)
    AVR: Yamaha Aventage RX-A2030
    Blu Ray: Sony BDP-S790