Parts Express/Dayton Audio Speaker Kits

Options
Pastor Bill
Pastor Bill Posts: 130
edited July 2014 in Speakers
Am now entertaining opinions on the Dayton Audio speakers and speaker kits. (Am also trying to build up my post tally!) My initial thought is that the process would be satisfying, albeit a bit expensive. I handload my own handgun ammo and sometimes cast my own bullets...not so much for economy but more for the satisfaction. Anyone have experience with these?
Jesus said "I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but through Me." - John 14:6

NAD 7140, Fried Model Qs, Pioneer PD-4700
Post edited by Pastor Bill on

Comments

• Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,204
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Anyone have experience with these?

Speakers or handgun ammo? Kidding. I've been wanting to get into reloading for awhile. The price of ammo is absurd. I've gone from shooting every weekend to maybe once a month, if that. Not only because of cost, but life gets in the way sometimes.
  • drumminman
    drumminman Posts: 3,396
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Some of the Parts Express kits are reported to be quite good (no hands on experience). I suggest looking at the reader comments on their forum to see what is liked the most.

Also check out the Madisound, ZAPH audio and GR Research websites for DIY kits. Danny at GR has a forum on audiocircle.com and seems to be well regarded.
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills/jantzen inductors, Gimpod's boards, Lg Solen SDA inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR BP's, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheet strips, interior of cabinets sealed with Loctite Power Grab, AI-1 interface with 1000VA A-L transformer
  • Habanero Monk
    Habanero Monk Posts: 715
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Also check out Meniscus Audio's website.
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,528
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Building your own speakers can indeed be satisfying. I would start with something small like the "Overnight Sensations". They are a fairly easy kit to built to start, make for great desktop speakers for nearfield listening, and let you get dirty w/o having to build the box, etc.

Their sub kits with the flatpack boxes are good as well.

If you have the skills to just go for a full blown build then I say do it, but if not starting slow and building toward it is a good thing to do. You may find you dont want the hassle in the end.

But by using pre-built kits with known spec's it makes things a lot easier.

The companies listed above in addition to parts express are a great place to start.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Parts Express is about 10 mi from my house. They have a great selection of DIY. They also carry BIC America and some times have blowout clearances. If you are a fan of the Klipsch sound, the upper level BICs and Acoustec stuff compares quite favorably at a far cheaper price.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    edited July 2014
    Options
    I dunno Bill, seems like your making a chore out of a search for a pair of bookies. Can't be that hard to find what you want. Polk bookies are for sale left and right, along with numerous other brands. Just about as many DIY kits too. Like 33 flavors in an ice cream store, pick one and see if it floats your taste buds.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Pastor Bill
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Tonyb:
    I may be doing exactly that, which is typical for me. It took me months of auditioning speakers back in the day before I settled on the Fried Model Qs. I have a line on a set of Monitor 4s that are nearby and about $70. Haven't pulled the trigger yet, though. Most of the more modern stuff doesn't float my boat at all and the dearth of audio stores in Gainesville where I can audition anything complicates matters. I guess I'm a tad OCD about this...and dollars definitely are limited so I'm really concerned about "bang for buck."
    Jesus said "I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but through Me." - John 14:6

• tonyb
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Understand the limited dollars scenario Bill, we all been there...some still are too. Your local craigslist is your best bet then. You can get your ears on stuff before you buy that way and usually find good deals too.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • tonyb
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Here's something budget friendly in your backyard.

http://gainesville.craigslist.org/ele/4466247656.html
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Pastor Bill
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Tony:
    The audio review.com site warns that these are a possible "white van" scam. But thanks for the posting...I saw those yesterday and wondered about them.

• Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,204
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Just responded to your email, Bill. Thanks!!
  • Pastor Bill
    edited July 2014
    Options
    No problem...I enjoy sharing the information and tips that I've accumulated. Enjoy.

• PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,053
    edited July 2014
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    Here's something budget friendly in your backyard.

http://gainesville.craigslist.org/ele/4466247656.html

White van speakers for sure. How do I know? Let's just say maybe I was a little naive in my youth. haha.

Actually not too bad. Probably worth $100.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • brgman
    brgman Posts: 2,859
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Get some SDA's and then you can listen to some good music while you build some cheapo speakers to satisfy your need to make something.
    Or you can scratch the itch by modding those fine SDA's into even better SDA's.
    Main Rig-Realistic AM/FM Record player 8 track boasting 4 WPC

Backup Rig-2 CH-Rogue Audio Zeus w/Factory Special Dark Mods,Joule-Electra 300ME Platinum Preamp,OPPO-105 w/Modwright Tube Mod, Auralic Aries G2.1,Polk 2.3TL,3.1TL's,Dreadnought,RTA-15TL's,1C's All Fully Modded,2xRTA-12c's ,Benchmark DAC3 HGC,Synology NAS,VPI Scout w/Dynavector DV-20XH and Rogue Audio Ares Phono Preamp,Sony PCM-R500 DAT,HHB-850 Pro CDR,Tascam CC-222SLMKII Cassette/CDR,MIT S3.3 Shotgun Cables,Shunyata Hyra-8,Shunyata and Triode Labs Power Cords

I’M OFFENDED!!!!
  • pumpkinman
    pumpkinman Posts: 9,520
    edited July 2014
    Options
    I have a friend who bought 2 pair of AR's of the back of a truck. LOL I told him that Acoustic Response where not true AR's. They were just awful.

P-man
    lmivdewpnb28.jpg

Because I am The Pumpkinking

A Kind Word Is An Easy Gift To Give
  • tonyb
    edited July 2014
    Options
    These are a steal for 5 bones, take up the same space as bookies on stands.

http://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/ele/4566145762.html
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • tonyb
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Something closer to home in the bookies dept.

http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/ele/4558200764.html
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,037
    edited July 2014
    Options
    another good resource for kit options (or pure play DIY): www.madisound.com
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited July 2014
    Options
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Conradicles
    Conradicles Posts: 6,038
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Try a pair of these:
    http://www.crutchfield.com/p_779AERO2W/Cambridge-Audio-Aero-2-Dark-Walnut.html?tp=186

If you don't like them send them back. 60 day trial period. They beat most monitors I have ever tried in the less than $1000 price bracket.
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,528
    edited July 2014
    Options
    ^ 5 year warranty on those speakers.. thats pretty good...
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,314
    edited July 2014
    Options
    For cheap bookies if your using a sub I would suggest the new pioneer for 129$ amdrew jones designed. I was suprised how good they sounded for the $
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • tonyb
    edited July 2014
    Options
    erniejade wrote: »
    For cheap bookies if your using a sub I would suggest the new pioneer for 129$ amdrew jones designed. I was suprised how good they sounded for the $

Good suggestion....and most likely within the OP's budget....I hope. Would help if we knew what that budget was, otherwise we're just shooting in the dark.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Pastor Bill
    edited July 2014
    Options
    I'd like to try and keep things at or below $400 a pair...thus the emphasis on used or building something. Someone mentioned that the Pioneers (whether alone or coupled with a sub) would not be a good match with my 40 watt NAD 7140 receiver. I am also examining rebuilding my Frieds so that the replaced drivers match...but I'm not "techy" enough yet to determine if the crossover was also replaced.

However, I DO appreciate all the replies...even if I can be a little exasperating at times to the more advanced hobbyist.

• Habanero Monk
    edited July 2014
    Options
    I'd like to try and keep things at or below $400 a pair...thus the emphasis on used or building something. Someone mentioned that the Pioneers (whether alone or coupled with a sub) would not be a good match with my 40 watt NAD 7140 receiver. I am also examining rebuilding my Frieds so that the replaced drivers match...but I'm not "techy" enough yet to determine if the crossover was also replaced.

However, I DO appreciate all the replies...even if I can be a little exasperating at times to the more advanced hobbyist.

I've come to like the Zaph Kits from Madisound. I have heard a few of his ZAW based kits.

Madisound has the complete MTM kit with cabinets for $400. They trounce my LSi 9's.

http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/mtm-speaker-kits/zaph%7Caudio-za5.3-mtm-pair-with-cabinets/
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    edited July 2014
    Options
    I've come to like the Zaph Kits from Madisound. I have heard a few of his ZAW based kits.

Madisound has the complete MTM kit with cabinets for $400. They trounce my LSi 9's.

http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/mtm-speaker-kits/zaph%7Caudio-za5.3-mtm-pair-with-cabinets/

While they do sound good (kind of brittle on the top end with those titanium Vifas) for a $400 speaker, having A/Bed them with stock LSi9s and LSi7s, they are apples vs oranges.
    The Zaph Audio kit reminded me a LOT of the JBL 2600 bookies. Put a very warm sounding SS amp or tube amp with them and they aren't bad. But comparing titanium tweeters to radial ring tweeters and saying the titanium tweeters sound better...well...it just confirms what I suspected all along, your ears are broken. :cheesygrin:
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • Habanero Monk
    edited July 2014
    Options
    ZLTFUL wrote: »
    While they do sound good (kind of brittle on the top end with those titanium Vifas) for a $400 speaker, having A/Bed them with stock LSi9s and LSi7s, they are apples vs oranges.
    The Zaph Audio kit reminded me a LOT of the JBL 2600 bookies. Put a very warm sounding SS amp or tube amp with them and they aren't bad. But comparing titanium tweeters to radial ring tweeters and saying the titanium tweeters sound better...well...it just confirms what I suspected all along, your ears are broken. :cheesygrin:

I don't recall saying the tweeter sounded better.

There is a reason why there is a good X-over mod for the LSi 9's to address it's short comings. It's a good speaker and it gives the OP a point of reference (as much as I can give one).

My LSi 9's have some chestiness or bloom to them that I don't care for where the Zaphs are smoother.

Ring Radiator vs a well performing dome is simply a preference. What I don't think is debatable is that the ZA14W08 is clearly a better driver. His designs have a smoother frequency response through out the majority of the pass band. The LSi does better at the very top end. You picks your poisons.

I've heard the Zaphs multiple times, both the 2 way, MTM, TMM. They are a higher resolution/more accurate speaker IMO. It's not all about the tweeter.

Neither speaker is perfect given the materials. Now if the OP wants to up the game a bit get the ZA14W08 design with the SB Acoustics tweeter. Now THAT is a no compromise speaker for the $$.
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    edited July 2014
    Options
    s1200_Lighten_Up_Francis.jpg

Not everything has to be a pi$$ing contest.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • Habanero Monk
    edited July 2014
    Options
    ZLTFUL wrote: »

Not everything has to be a pi$$ing contest.

It isn't. I'm not taking any offense. The OP seems to be in the weeds over his question. He has a budget. I'm trying to answer in the best way I know how based on my experience with a kit in his price range vs the other kits I have heard and my own speakers.

You bring up a perfectly valid point. The LSi 9's have a better top end past ~16Khz. The Zaph MTM has a better FR up till that point.

Ring radiators and domes can both be good tweeters. Depending on the OP's age he may or may not notice the top end response on the Zaph since hearing acuity at the top end rolls off with age (hey we all have our own innate low pass filter :biggrin:).

I'm chill.