Potential buy?

Pastor Bill
Pastor Bill Posts: 130
edited July 2014 in Vintage Speakers
There's a pair of 5JRs available about 1.75 hours from me. $80 or best. Decent deal? I'm looking for bookshelf speakers. Will gleefully consider all opinions that directly address the question.
Jesus said "I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but through Me." - John 14:6

NAD 7140, Fried Model Qs, Pioneer PD-4700
Post edited by Pastor Bill on

Comments

• xjghost
    xjghost Posts: 1,080
    edited July 2014
    I drove to Charlotte, NC about the same time on the road and bought a set of 5JR's for that price. It was the cheapest I could find them in this area. I have seen vintage polk's on CL around me for $100 up. They seem to bring a higher price in the South East in my opinion.
    HT/2Channel: Emotiva MMC-1, Adcom GFA-555II, Polk SDA 3.1's, Teac TN-300 TT, Polk Center and Sub.

Bedroom system: Carver CT-24, Parasound HCA-800II, Monitor 10's

Additional projects: RTA 12c's
  • Mystery
    Mystery Posts: 2,546
    edited July 2014
    Price is okay if local but I won't drive 3.5 hours round trip for them, not even for free.
    Too far, for me...

Klipsch RB81, KG3.5, B&W DM602.5, Polk.
    Subwoofers: Klipsch RW10, Triad ProSub Bronze.
  • xjghost
    xjghost Posts: 1,080
    edited July 2014
    Mystery wrote: »
    Price is okay if local but I won't drive 3.5 hours round trip for them, not even for free.
    Too far, for me...

Good point. I also neglected to say that I was going up there to get some jeep parts from a friend and have lunch with him too. Forgot about that.
    HT/2Channel: Emotiva MMC-1, Adcom GFA-555II, Polk SDA 3.1's, Teac TN-300 TT, Polk Center and Sub.

Bedroom system: Carver CT-24, Parasound HCA-800II, Monitor 10's

Additional projects: RTA 12c's
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited July 2014
    Mystery wrote: »
    Too far, for me...

That's because you live in a space that is the speaker equivalent of the Bermuda Triangle. Except in this case, the speakers are sucked in from all parts of the nation and exit in Denver, absurdly close to you (and usually well below market value). lol

A working set of Monitor 5jrs. are probably worth that; whether or not they're also worth the drive is a personal call.

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • Mystery
    Mystery Posts: 2,546
    edited July 2014
    cnh wrote: »

A working set of Monitor 5jrs. are probably worth that; whether or not they're also worth the drive is a personal call.

cnh
    That's exactly what I said. For me... too far.
    I'll drive but for higher end models or insanely cheap items.
    The only time I drove around 1 hr one way was for a pair of Allison AL120 and because it was priced accordingly at $0.00. :wink:

Klipsch RB81, KG3.5, B&W DM602.5, Polk.
    Subwoofers: Klipsch RW10, Triad ProSub Bronze.
  • Pastor Bill
    Pastor Bill Posts: 130
    edited July 2014
    Where I live is a two-edged sword. Gainesville is a university town...so you generally find two types of speakers for sale. Cheap, really loud speakers or real high end speakers. Most of what I've seen on craigslist in this area doesn't interest me. Someone does have a pair of Monitor 4s for $70 and I am considering them...but the 5 JRs might actually be more to my tastes. I've yet to check the pawn shops and thrift stores....
    Jesus said "I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but through Me." - John 14:6

NAD 7140, Fried Model Qs, Pioneer PD-4700
  • Polkie2009
    Polkie2009 Posts: 3,834
    edited July 2014
    Some of the fellow CP members have found some amazing__ deals on vintage Polk and other brands of speakers at Goodwill stores. Worth a try Pastor Bill !
  • scubasteve4sq
    scubasteve4sq Posts: 72
    edited July 2014
    There is a set of 1.2tls on eBay right now in gainesville