DB in 2003 Si

Systems
Systems Posts: 14,873
edited February 2004 in Car Audio & Electronics
Hi, I want to install DB speakers in my Si. I called Crutchfield to verify the speakers size 6 1/2. He said I could add the component system (db6500) to the from, but for the rear (db650) would fit, but the tweeter would hit the factory grille. What do you suggest I do? I wouldl like to have the same series speakers in my car.

Thanks..
Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited February 2004
    Since the rear speakers are for rear fill only and not really for bass you may consider going with a 5 1/4. They probably dont protrude as much as the 6.5.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • MTXMAN
    MTXMAN Posts: 682
    edited February 2004
    good idea Mac, also if you have extra depth it wouldn't be hard to work up a bracket so the 5 1/4 is a little recessed if the grill is still an issue...

what's the grille like?? i just pulled the grille's off of my saturn and it looks great with my mm6 woofers in the rear deck...
    Hemi: (HEM -e) adj. Mopar in type, V8, hot tempered, native to the United States, carnivorous, eats primarily Mustangs, Camaros, and Corvettes. Also enjoys smoking a good import now and then to relax.
  • MacLeod
    edited February 2004
    You may also consider doing without rear speakers all together. This will bring the soundstage totally up front where its supposed to be. Very few competitiors have rear speakers at all other than subs. I have rear speakers in my Ram now but in order to have the stage up front as much as possible I have them turned down so low that I cant even hear them. When I upgrade my rig to a high end set up I am 97% sure I wont use rear speakers at all.

This is totally a matter of personal taste though. It wont make any real difference in overall sound quality, it will only effect the imaging. On the other hand, some people prefer to have the music all around them like in a surround sound system so they go with 4 equally powered speakers.
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited February 2004
    Well, I just finished install the rear and it fits perfectly... Now my question is do I need a amp to run my component in the front? If not, why? I was going to install my component system to my Kenwood HU...
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • MacLeod
    edited February 2004
    You definitely want an amp. An amp is going to be 10 times more powerful and cleaner than a head unit can ever be. I dont care how many watts the head claims to put out when you get down to it the amp isnt any bigger than the head unit and how many good quality amps have you seen the size of a head unit. Even a 50x2 amp is twice the size of a 50x4 head unit so that should tell ya something.

I woulnt even use the head unit to power my rear speakers. They are just not clean enough for me.

• Zigen5
    Zigen5 Posts: 1
    edited February 2004
    So what small amp would work to power my component ?
  • MacLeod
    edited February 2004
    As long as you stick to a quality name brand youll be fine. Alpine, Kicker, JL Audio, Rockford Fosgate, Hifonics, JBL and the like make 2 channel amps for $200 and below and will all give you good clean quality sound.

I personally like the sound of Alpine and JL best but the others are excellent amps also. It depends on which one you can get the best deal on really.

My favorite pick for a budget amp can be had at Circuit City. An Alpine 50x2 for $110! I have one and its a damn good amp. Not as good as Alpines V12 series or JLs offerings but for $110 it cant be beat.

• confusion
    confusion Posts: 2
    edited February 2004
    I have nearly the same set up but with the db6750 and 675's instead (same watts) .
    I am running the rears of my Clairion head unit and the front components of of my Audio Art 200.2 X amp that I used to have on my sub.
    It puts out 100 x 2 RMS in Stereo according to the manual (actually a lot more in reality)I say get an amp that puts out around 100x2 watts RMS. They'll sound great!
  • sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited February 2004
    what kind of head unit do you have?
    -Cody
  • confusion
    confusion Posts: 2
    edited February 2004
    I have a Clairion ARX8570z head unit. It is about 3 or 4 years old. , still works great.
  • sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited February 2004
    i was asking zigen...
    lol
    sorry about the confusion...no pun intended...
    i got a new crutchfield the other day...clarions stuff looks pretty good
    zigen--i wouldnt run components off a head unit...just not a good thing, itll shorten the life of your speakers
    if your deck is a decent kenwood, then i think youll be fine with running your rear speakers off of it
    -Cody
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited February 2004
    zig meister -- grab a small 4 channel amp to run all 4 speakers... you won't regret it dude.

you can go with a Profile California series - cheap - small, but it'll do the job... you can get out for less than 200 bucks and have like a 60 x 4 amp.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge