How much power for Polk RTI A9's???

Options
Davidjustin1982
Davidjustin1982 Posts: 1
edited July 2014 in Speakers
I have had my RTI A9's for 6 months now and am finally ready to give these guys the power that they need! I have been bi amping these speakers with my pioneer vsx-1121-k which would supposedly give 220W per channel to the fronts. All I can say that these speakers are having to work hard at all and I really want to push them. How much power from a dedicated power amp
would make these guys shine? I have been leaning towards the emotive XPA-2, just want to make sure that will be the right
way to go..
Post edited by Davidjustin1982 on

Comments

• Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,204
    edited July 2014
    Options
    I have been bi amping these speakers with my pioneer vsx-1121-k which would supposedly give 220W per channel to the fronts.

No. It doesn't work that way. The bi-amping feature on an AVR is just marketing hype. There are tons of threads regarding this here. Don't feel bad, I didn't understand it either when I first joined here. When you "bi-amp" using only an AVR, you are using a shared power supply, so you don't benefit from more power. Current is just as important as watts. I think your AVR is 110 watts/one channel driven. So that number goes down with two channels driven, three, four, and so forth.
  • chumlie
    chumlie Posts: 8,658
    edited July 2014
    Options
    No pre-outs on that Pioneer so your going to need a new receiver or preamp 1st.
  • Inspector 24
    Inspector 24 Posts: 1,308
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Your Pioneer can't possibly put out anywhere near 200w even to one channel:
    http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Home/AV-Receivers/Pioneer+Receivers/VSX-1121-K

Best case scenario you're getting 90wpc in two channel only mode, that's being generous.

You need at least 200 REAL wpc from a high current amplifier such as Adcom, B&K, my personal choice Parasound or any other separate amplifier. There are many good new and used options depending on what you want to spend. I've had very good luck buying used Parasound gear on Ebay/audiogon so long as you know what you're getting, get the right info from the seller and ask the right questions.
    Up
    LSi15 LSiC - RX-V3000

Down
    LSiM707 - 706c - 702f/x - Dual HSU VTF-15H Mk2
    Parasound HCA-3500 - HCA-2003A - Marantz SR7005
    Sim2 D60 - Dragonfly 106" Panny 500

• PolkieMan
    PolkieMan Posts: 2,446
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Yea it's simple look on the back of your unit let's say it says 3.9 Amps.
    Okay 120 volts X 3.9a is 468 watts. So let's say it 80% efficient, which it is not.
    374.4 /2 = 187.2 WPC
    Remember other items are pulling power.
    Can you select a 2 channel only direct mode?
    So you are probably getting half that, about 93.
    I like new. I like this. https://emotiva.com/products/amplifiers/xpa-2
    Some people will disagree, but you buy what you can afford.
    POLK SDA 2.3 TLS BOUGHT NEW IN 1990, Gimpod/Sonic Caps/Mills RDO-198
    POLK CSI-A6 POLK MONITOR 70'S ONKYO TX NR-808 SONY CDP-333ES
    PIONEER PL-510A SONY BDP S5100
    POLK SDA 1C BOUGHT USED 2011,Gimpod/Sonic Caps/Mills RDO-194
    ONKYO HT RC-360 SONY BDP S590 TECHNICS SL BD-1
  • Inspector 24
    edited July 2014
    Options
    EMOTIVA!?!?! HOW DARE YOU POLLUTE THIS THREAD!!!

Hehe, totally kidding, the price is awesome for new gear, gives the power you need for the big speakers, and would be far better than just the AVR.
    Up
    LSi15 LSiC - RX-V3000

Down

• Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    edited July 2014
    Options
    30 watts of tube power will fill your ears with what you have been waiting for.
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • Inspector 24
    edited July 2014
    Options
    He's the one who suggested a $900 amp. :razz: If that's his price range the doors are pretty wide open. ;)

I'll let those who have heard and compared say what they will about Emotiva as I haven't heard anything powered by them, but I can say Parasound power is an absolute revelation for the A9's.
    Up
    LSi15 LSiC - RX-V3000

Down

• Inspector 24
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Aaaaaahhh, didn't see that when I looked at the specs...yeah, that'll double the needed budget...
    Up
    LSi15 LSiC - RX-V3000

Down

• Inspector 24
    edited July 2014
    Options
    I bet! I'd like to hear some A7's with power some time, it would be fun to compare their sound side by side with A9's! Ever had the chance?
    Up
    LSi15 LSiC - RX-V3000

Down

• PolkieMan
    PolkieMan Posts: 2,446
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Yea I don't like what they are doing with their Club thing and $50 membership. It's one thing to pay Costco or Sams but how many times a year do you buy audio, once you get what you like? Maybe something once a year.

EMOTIVA!?!?! HOW DARE YOU POLLUTE THIS THREAD!!!

Hehe, totally kidding, the price is awesome for new gear, gives the power you need for the big speakers, and would be far better than just the AVR.
    POLK SDA 2.3 TLS BOUGHT NEW IN 1990, Gimpod/Sonic Caps/Mills RDO-198
    POLK CSI-A6 POLK MONITOR 70'S ONKYO TX NR-808 SONY CDP-333ES
    PIONEER PL-510A SONY BDP S5100
    POLK SDA 1C BOUGHT USED 2011,Gimpod/Sonic Caps/Mills RDO-194
    ONKYO HT RC-360 SONY BDP S590 TECHNICS SL BD-1
  • Thorton
    Thorton Posts: 1,324
    edited July 2014
    Options
    I bet! I'd like to hear some A7's with power some time, it would be fun to compare their sound side by side with A9's! Ever had the chance?

I purchased the A7's first powered with a Parasound amp. They may have been a little small for my room. To me, the A9's perform better from top to bottom. I found a significant improvement in the midrange and bass when listening to music with the A9's. I was never completely satisfied with the A7's but this probably due to my room size. I'm really enjoying the A9's with proper power and a good preamp.
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________
    Ethernet Filter: GigaFOILv4 with Keces P3 LPS
    Source: Roon via ethernet to DAC interface
    DAC: Bricasti M1SE
    Pre/Pro: Marantz AV8805
    Tube Preamp Buffer: Tortuga TPB.V1
    Amp1: Nord One NC1200DM Signature, Amp2: W4S MC-5, AMP3: W4S MMC-7
    Front: Salk SoundScape 8's, Center: Salk SoundScape C7
    Surround: Polk FXIA6, Surround Back: Polk RTIA9, Atmos: Polk 70-RT
    Subs: 2 - Rythmik F25's
    IC & Speaker Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, Signal Cable
    Power Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, PS Audio
    Room Treatments: GIK Acoustics
  • aicardi
    aicardi Posts: 27
    Options
    I recently bought 4 RTIA9s and a cs180 center speaker and now i need a receiver but have no idea what to get it will be mainly for movies but also some music i was hoping to spend about 700-800 dollars i was looking at the onkyo TX-NR636 7.2 even though i am only gonna have a 5.1

can anyone offer any suggestions on weather or not this receiver is powerful enough and if not recommend another receiver

• Inspector 24
    Options
    NO receiver is powerful enough to drive a single pair of A9's to their potential, if that's what your goal is, let alone four of them!

I'd recommend a solid 200wpc from a separate amp.

Here's a good one to start with for the front mains:
    http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/165663/fs-parasound-hca-3500-1400/p1
    Up
    LSi15 LSiC - RX-V3000

Down

• jeremymarcinko
    jeremymarcinko Posts: 3,785
    Options
    ^^ 100% agree.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    Options
    He can't buy that amp because he doesn't have 100 posts yet.

Ok, just to confirm what has already been said, there isn't an AVR made that will come close to properly driving 2 of those speakers never mind 4. You will need an AVR that has a full set of pre outs and a 5 channel power amp. You bought the wrong center, should have purchased the CSi A6.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• aicardi
    Options
    wow this got real fast i already spent 2300$ on the 4 a9s 300 on my 15inch 250wat Percision acoustics sub and now i need a 1400 amp an avr that uses an amp and a new 500$ cener speaker!!!!???:s

what happend if i use a crappy avr that i have to get the 4 a9 and new center i intend to buy working for now or can i damage my speakers?

sorry for all the questions im new to the world of sound systems as im sure u all have notices lol
  • jeremymarcinko
    Options
    The thing is the a9's need a lot of power as they are a large and demanding speaker. Using your current avr will not deliver the power the a9's will demand and could very easily damage your speakers when the amp begins to clip. The xpa-2 may or may not work well for you. I have no experience with it, but the general consensus here is that amp is not a good match with the a9's and may sound overly bright, but ymmv. You will need an AVR with pre-amp outputs to feed an external amplifier. If you have a specific budget to work with that would help with suggestions, otherwise Accessories4less.com is a great place to start. There products are refurbished but are available with a generous warranty and are priced significantly less than new. Many of us have had great success with their products, including myself. The products look brand new as well.
    Here is a couple of suggestions to get you started:
    http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/marsr7007/marantz-sr7007-7.2-125wpc-4k-airplay-a/v-receiver-w/3-yr-warranty/1.html

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/yamrxa1020bl/yamaha-rx-a1020-7.2-network-aventage-av-receiver-airplay/1.html

If you do plan to add a 5 channel ext. amp this would be a good choice.
    http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/marav7005/marantz-av7005-networking-av-preamp/processor/1.html

Power amps can be purchased relatively cheap as well if you do not mind buying used. Amps are generally a safe bet used as they seem to last a very long time.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • aicardi
    Options
    thanks this was helpful I will definitely buy refurbished however im in canada so i need to b careful with taxs and dutys thats if they even ship to canada but at least i no refurbished also means reasonably priced :D
  • aicardi
    Options
    longueuil quebec what about u?
  • Inspector 24
    Options
    Thing about receivers is, A5's will sound far better than A9's.

When I first got my a9's and ran them off my 140wpc Yamaha, I thought they were terrible, my old RT800i's sounded far better, so I unhooked them until I got proper power.
    Up
    LSi15 LSiC - RX-V3000

Down

• aicardi
    Options
    i just spoke to a local audio store and they recomended

yamaha rx-a1040
    yamaha rx-a2040
    danon evrx4100

but i dont think these use an amp and there not 500 watts

im lost lol how do i no if i can attach an amp ?

and i might have an old stereo system that might have an amp that i can take weather or not thats useful i have no idea ill try to get the model and post it here to no if its useful or not

HELLPPPP!!!!!
  • jeremymarcinko
    Options
    xf5f3zjgf154.png

It will have something that looks like this. Preouts are usually found on avr's around $1000msrp and higher and all preamp/processors of course. This is the connection you will need to connect an ext. amp.
  • aicardi
    Options
    so then the rxa1040 is good? its suports an ext amp i think....
  • jeremymarcinko
    Options
    Yes, I personally use the older rxa1010 as the front end feeding Emotiva xpa-1's and Rti12's (basically the same as a9) and I am very happy with the result.
  • Ron Temple
    Ron Temple Posts: 3,212
    Options
    The A9 is a nice speaker and it's newish...but, there are much better bang for the buck Polks that can be found used...I'd suggest anyone looking at purchasing speakers go and ask in the Vintage section, just what folks might recommend. I think you'll find alternatives that will blow you away at a fraction of the cost. However, the front end requirements will probably be the same.

Combo rig:

Onkyo NR1007 pre-pro, Carver TFM 45(fronts), Carver TFM 35 (surrounds)
    SDA 1C, CS400i, SDA 2B
    PB13Ultra RO
    BW Silvers
    Oppo BDP-83SE
  • aicardi
    Options
    emotiva is an amp brand im assuming?
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Options
    aicardi wrote: »
    so then the rxa1040 is good? its suports an ext amp i think....

Yes it does
  • aicardi
    Options
    ok so if i get the yamaha RX-A1040
    rated at 110wpc how manny watts do i need my amp to be ?

(powering 4 a9s ans a center)
    do i have to connect the center to the amp as well?
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    When you add an amp, the amp built into the receiver becomes obsolete, isn't used. Unless you just want to use a 2 channel amp and let the receiver carry the rest of the speakers but with 4 A9's, not a viable option.

In your case, a 5 channel amp to cover the 4 A9's and then use the extra channel for the center. Something in the area of 200 watts per channel should suffice.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • nguyendot
    nguyendot Posts: 3,594
    Options
    If you never want to worry again, get a 5 x 400 watt amplifier.
    Like a Sunfire Cinema Grand 400x5.
    Main Surround -
    Epson 8350 Projector/ Elite Screens 120" / Pioneer Elite SC-35 / Sunfire Signature / Focal Chorus 716s / Focal Chorus CC / Polk MC80 / Polk PSW150 sub

Bedroom - Sharp Aquos 70" 650 / Pioneer SC-1222k / Polk RT-55 / Polk CS-250

Den - Rotel RSP-1068 / Threshold CAS-2 / Boston VR-M60 / BDP-05FD