Splitting a coaxial signal

EndersShadow
EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
edited July 2014 in Going Digital
So I've got some stuff I want to play around with.

Here is my basic question:

Can you take a coaxial signal and split it so that its running into 2 devices at the same time?

I am wanting to use this splitter from the coaxial connector in my computer so that I can split the signal and continue to keep my DacMagic connected with my BlackCat Veloce Coaxial cable to my main system, and then use another coaxial cable for another 2 channel integrated receiver.

This way I dont have to switch output devices on my computer when I want to utilize the different sources since I mainly use my computer for my source.

I am guessing the answer is yes, but wanted to double check with everyone here.

And yes I know I could use USB on the DacMagic and then the coaxial cable to the reciever, but again then I have to switch outputs on my computer...
"....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
Post edited by EndersShadow on

Comments

• FTGV
    FTGV Posts: 3,649
    edited June 2014
    Yes it should work but one output on the splitter will likely have some attenuation.Some DAC's may not like seeing a reduced SPDIF signal.Give it a try.
  • EndersShadow
    edited June 2014
    FTGV wrote: »
    Yes it should work but one output on the splitter will likely have some attenuation.Some DAC's may not like seeing a reduced SPDIF signal.Give it a try.
    Will do. Any other suggested way to split a coaxial signal?

I could always just go into the DacMagic straight, then into the integrated and then use the REC OUT to add in the other rig while still allowing the integrated to work, but thats a bit more work and requires both pieces of gear to be on 24/7
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • FTGV
    edited June 2014
    Doh,sorry I thought you were talking about using a 2way coaxial splitter such as used for cable tv.I now see you linked to a Y adaptor.The splitter will work,I've done it,but the Y adaptor will create serious impedance mismatch issues,I wouldn't recommend using it.You could also try a simple 2 way switch.
  • EndersShadow
    edited June 2014
    Doh,sorry I thought you were talking about using a 2way coaxial splitter such as used for cable tv.I now see you linked to a Y adaptor.The splitter will work,the Y adaptor will create serious impedance mismatch issues,I wouldn't recommend using it.You could also try a simple 2 way switch.

Yeah, but trying to keep the signal chain as clean & high quality as possible and ensure each system is independent from the other.
  • FTGV
    edited June 2014
    The common 2 way CATV splitter will get you there simply but you may need some RCA to F style connector adaptors.
  • EndersShadow
    edited June 2014
    The common 2 way CATV splitter will get you there simply but you may need some RCA to F style connector adaptors.

Gotcha.

What if I just used a y adatper off the dacmagic? that cause signal strength problems?

Actually I am dumb.

For now till the systems dont share the same rack the DacMagic has a optical & coaxial out that sends a totally unprocessed signal out. I can use that to shoot to the integrated.
  • FTGV
    edited June 2014

For now till the systems dont share the same rack the DacMagic has a optical & coaxial out that sends a totally unprocessed signal out. I can use that to shoot to the integrated.
    Bingo if it has a buffered digital pass through.The DacMagic would just need to remain powered up.
  • EndersShadow
    edited June 2014
    Bingo if it has a buffered digital pass through.The DacMagic would just need to remain powered up.

Yup, its on 24/7 so thats not a problem.

Once I look to put them in different spots I may look at the Cambridge NP30 streamer as its got a lot of the features I like from my DacMagic and can function as a pre-amp if needed.... likely hook that up to my integrated since I wont be using it as much as my other system which will be hardwired to the computer.

That or look at some other streaming device.
  • Speedskater
    Speedskater Posts: 495
    edited June 2014
    A CATV splitter is optimized for the very high frequencies of cable TV stations. SPDIF is in a very low frequency digital band.
    I would just try a audio "Y" splitter and keep the cables short.

The SPDIF is maybe 6MHz and cable TV is 50 to 600MHz.
  • unc2701
    unc2701 Posts: 3,587
    edited July 2014
    Composite video splitter will work fine.

My B&K CT610 has Audio+composite video distribution, but I needed component video and digital audio as well. So I just used the composite video for the digital audio and got an outboard high-def matrix switch.

Just make sure than any kind of "On Screen Display" aka OSD is disabled if you do this.
    Gallo Ref 3.1 : Bryston 4b SST : Musical fidelity CD Pre : VPI HW-19
    Gallo Ref AV, Frankengallo Ref 3, LC60i : Bryston 9b SST : Meridian 565
    Jordan JX92s : MF X-T100 : Xray v8
    Backburner:Krell KAV-300i
  • EndersShadow
    edited July 2014
    Ended up not being a problem. The DacMagic has a digital out which allows you to daisy chain another DAC to it to use. That's what I have done for now.

Eventually when things settle down I will be using both the RCA & XLR outputs on the DacMagic as they are both active at the same time.

This way both the devices that need to connect to it can, and both are using its better DAC's as well.
  • RamZet
    RamZet Posts: 792
    edited July 2014
    I dont see why Y cords couldnt do this.
    If youre concerned about the signal degrading you can try a powered splitter like the AVDA-3 by niles.
    http://www.nilesaudio.com/product.php?prodID=AVDA-3&recordID=MultiZone%20Accessories&categoryID=Multizone%20Products&prdcdID=FG00814

If you want to bypass any hardware or splitter could you just enable both audio devices by right clicking the speaker on your start bar, selecting playback devices, right clicking the stereo outputs and usb outputs and clicking enable?
    I know on my PC (Windows 7) I can output audio to my G35 headphones and my computers speakers at the same time by doing this.
    B&W CM9Classé Sigma
  • EndersShadow
    edited July 2014
    RamZet wrote: »
    I dont see why Y cords couldnt do this.
    If youre concerned about the signal degrading you can try a powered splitter like the AVDA-3 by niles.
    http://www.nilesaudio.com/product.php?prodID=AVDA-3&recordID=MultiZone%20Accessories&categoryID=Multizone%20Products&prdcdID=FG00814

If you want to bypass any hardware or splitter could you just enable both audio devices by right clicking the speaker on your start bar, selecting playback devices, right clicking the stereo outputs and usb outputs and clicking enable?
    I know on my PC (Windows 7) I can output audio to my G35 headphones and my computers speakers at the same time by doing this.

I dont want any more cables in the chain than have to be. This way I need only 2 good digital cables which I have.

Splitting the signal even with a powered splitter means one cable to the splitter, then 2 from it. It also adds another piece of hardware to the mix. I am not using my DacMagic via USB, just coaxial and the optical port on my computer is broke.

I am not too worried about this as its fully working. In the future I can use both XLR and RCA out's of my DacMagic so both devices are getting use from the same good DAC's no matter which I use. This to me solved all my problems.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    edited July 2014
    You keep buying gear and the next thing that splits will be your head.....courtesy of a pissed off wife. lol
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • EndersShadow
    edited July 2014
    tonyb wrote: »
    You keep buying gear and the next thing that splits will be your head.....courtesy of a pissed off wife. lol

Yup, I'm done for a bit unless I see something we both agree we need (unlikely).

Likely gonna snag another Black Cat sometime, but otherwise my RS-II rebuild, and now my 3 DIY subs take all the time I have.
  • RamZet
    RamZet Posts: 792
    edited July 2014
    Oh, digital coax cable.
    I made a mistake, thought you meant something else.
    Sorry.
    Why not buy a cheap creative sound card for 20 bucks with working digital outs?
    B&W CM9Classé Sigma