Gonna try a little something different....

steveinaz
steveinaz Posts: 19,521
edited July 2014 in Going Digital
After we return from vacation, I'm going to pick up an Oppo BDP-103 and a 2TB external HDD and copy all my music to it. Connect it up via USB to the Oppo as my new source. Then of course run the Oppo into the Benchmark DAC. I like this approach for a number of reasons; 1. I have never liked having to depend upon a network connection to listen to my music. 2. Ease of use. 3. I've been looking for a replacement BluRay as my panny is quite old now, AND I've been looking at alternatives to my Squeezebox Touch---the Oppo seems to be capable to kill 2 birds with 1 stone. This also means I still have a shiney disc transport when I'm feeling nostalgic.
Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
Post edited by steveinaz on

Comments

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    edited June 2014
    Sounds like a plan, let us know how it all works out for ya.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • steveinaz
    edited June 2014
    I'm gonna get a hard drive that lays flat and has it's own PS; place it on the shelf above the BRP. The Oppo and analog inputs on my DAC will also allow SACD playback potential.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    edited June 2014
    Sounds like a good idea. Are the files accessible from an app on a phone or tablet? Can you create playlists, do random shuffle, etc.? My Bryston BDP-1 uses a USB attached HD, and works quite well, but the Oppo is a much less expensive alternative.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    edited June 2014
    Cool! Ive debated doing the same for my music, only using my WD Live TV to interface with it. I cant get rid of the squeezebox classic though.....

My wife likes it too much for the clock lol......
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    edited June 2014
    One thing I *know* you won't be happy with is that there isn't an app or search function built into the device. You have to scroll through (alphabetical at least) your music.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • steveinaz
    edited June 2014
    BlueFox wrote: »
    Sounds like a good idea. Are the files accessible from an app on a phone or tablet? Can you create playlists, do random shuffle, etc.? My Bryston BDP-1 uses a USB attached HD, and works quite well, but the Oppo is a much less expensive alternative.

From what I understand, you have of course the video display for navigation, and an iphone app is suppose to be coming soon. I'm not sure about playlists, etc---I suspect, no. It's hard to get info on it's capabilities when used with a HDD. To be honest, I never created a playlist with the squeezebox.
  • steveinaz
    edited June 2014
    ZLTFUL wrote: »
    One thing I *know* you won't be happy with is that there isn't an app or search function built into the device. You have to scroll through (alphabetical at least) your music.

I have considered that, but 2 points; 1. I never used the search function on my SQB; 2. There's no search function on my CD racks....except for my blind ****! LOL

It's not "ideal" functionally, but still far better than "hunt & fetch."

I will miss picking a year, then playing songs in that year; this is something Bev & I like to do on a occasion.
  • steveinaz
    edited June 2014
    Cool! Ive debated doing the same for my music, only using my WD Live TV to interface with it. I cant get rid of the squeezebox classic though.....

My wife likes it too much for the clock lol......

I plan to keep a dedicated HDD attached to the Oppo for music, and use my current ext HDD for backup. I'm going to run the Oppo audio via dig coaxial to my DAC, like I've done in the past.
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,860
    edited June 2014
    Have you looked into a My Book?

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/external/desktop/
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • Loud & Clear
    Loud & Clear Posts: 1,538
    edited June 2014
    I'm really fond of the Mac method, whereby you have a Mac computer controlled remotely by an iPad Mini. The ability to see all of your music files and sift through them with this method is very user-friendly.

Two Channel Setup:

Speakers: Wharfedale Opus 2-3
    Integrated Amp: Krell S-300i
    DAC: Arcam irDac
    Source: iMac
    Remote Control: iPad Mini

3.2 Home Theater Setup:

Fronts: Klipsch RP-160M
    Center: Klipsch RP-160M
    Subwoofer: SVS PB12NSD (X 2)
    AVR: Yamaha Aventage RX-A2030
    Blu Ray: Sony BDP-S790
    TV Source: DirecTV Genie
  • D'prived
    D'prived Posts: 191
    edited June 2014
    steveinaz wrote: »
    From what I understand, you have of course the video display for navigation, and an iphone app is suppose to be coming soon. I'm not sure about playlists, etc---I suspect, no. It's hard to get info on it's capabilities when used with a HDD. To be honest, I never created a playlist with the squeezebox.

Once you start using the app on your iPhone then aren't you now depending on your network connection to play music?
  • Loud & Clear
    edited June 2014
    D'prived wrote: »
    Once you start using the app on your iPhone then aren't you now depending on your network connection to play music?
    Only for the purposes of remote control communication.

Two Channel Setup:

3.2 Home Theater Setup:

• steveinaz
    edited June 2014

Yep, I have one, though it's only a 500GB; I'm gonna buy a WD Elements drive in 2TB dedicated to the Oppo.
  • steveinaz
    edited June 2014
    I'm not too concerned about the interface, as all of that is software driven---I'm sure it will be addressed in the future. I need a new BluRay player at any rate, so I'll give it a shot as a HDD transport. I look at it like this; it has all of the functionality of a typical remote controlled CD player at the least.
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    edited June 2014
    I plan to keep a dedicated HDD attached to the Oppo for music, and use my current ext HDD for backup. I'm going to run the Oppo audio via dig coaxial to my DAC, like I've done in the past.

Sounds like a good plan.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • D'prived
    D'prived Posts: 191
    edited June 2014
    Only for the purposes of remote control communication.

Sure... I understand that. My point is now he's back to depending on his network connection which is the very thing he wanted to get away from.
  • Loud & Clear
    edited June 2014
    D'prived wrote: »
    Sure... I understand that. My point is now he's back to depending on his network connection which is the very thing he wanted to get away from.
    True enough. He probably still has his CD's and burned discs available in the event of a prolonged failed network connection. Always a good idea.

Two Channel Setup:

3.2 Home Theater Setup:

• steveinaz
    edited June 2014
    True enough. He probably still has his CD's and burned discs available in the event of a prolonged failed network connection. Always a good idea.

Exactly. The "player' will still be a "stand alone" device; maybe minus some enhanced features. With an iphone app, only the remote features would on the network, the music library would be directly connected to the Oppo. If my network took a dump, I'd still have an HDTV interface via the Oppo to play music.

I'm a simple guy; I don't like bells & whistles that I won't use. I'm from the turntable and reel-to-reel era. I don't have a remote controlled preamp. I've never programmed a VCR or made a playlist. An idiot could operate my cell phone, and does! LOL
  • steveinaz
    edited June 2014
    Here's the connection scheme:
  • tonyb
    edited June 2014
    Last time I said I was going to try something different, I wound up in a Psychedelic daze for 2 days.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • steveinaz
    edited June 2014
    Let this be an unofficial heads-up, my fellow digital music geeks, that some (lets say hard to find) goodies may become available in the FM in a couple weeks.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481
    edited June 2014
    tonyb wrote: »
    Last time I said I was going to try something different, I wound up in a Psychedelic daze for 2 days.

and that was a problem? I think not you EXPANDED your horizons No? :mrgreen:
  • tonyb
    edited June 2014
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    and that was a problem? I think not you EXPANDED your horizons No? :mrgreen:

I dunno man, something was expanded, don't know exactly what though. Hope Steve gets the same results.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • codyc1ark
    codyc1ark Posts: 2,530
    edited June 2014
    Here's the connection scheme:

Where are the speakers?!?
  • audiocr381ve
    audiocr381ve Posts: 2,588
    edited June 2014
    tonyb wrote: »

#molly
  • Gaara
    Gaara Posts: 2,415
    edited June 2014
    After we return from vacation, I'm going to pick up an Oppo BDP-103 and a 2TB external HDD and copy all my music to it. Connect it up via USB to the Oppo as my new source. Then of course run the Oppo into the Benchmark DAC. I like this approach for a number of reasons; 1. I have never liked having to depend upon a network connection to listen to my music. 2. Ease of use. 3. I've been looking for a replacement BluRay as my panny is quite old now, AND I've been looking at alternatives to my Squeezebox Touch---the Oppo seems to be capable to kill 2 birds with 1 stone. This also means I still have a shiney disc transport when I'm feeling nostalgic.

I tried it and wasn't a fan. Works well enough but I missed 1) Playlists 2) Quick navigation 3) Gapless playback.

Love putting demo scenes on the HD though, makes it so much easier then switching discs.
  • steveinaz
    edited June 2014
    Here's the app, pretty basic but I'm sure functionality will improve:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tbkkXkcSLo
  • falconcry72
    falconcry72 Posts: 3,580
    edited June 2014
    Steve, I do this same thing with a 103 in my HT system. I effing love it. I've considered experimenting with it in my 2-channel setup because I can't help but think that a HD into the Oppo as a transport, using the USB A connection, could be *better* than a PC into a USB DAC or SPDIF converter using the USB B connection... but I haven't tried it yet.

Anyway..

Most of the user-friendliness concerns are mitigated by good file management on your HD. If you have TB's of music, then you have to have good organization. I take pride in my folder mgt. Simple. Artists > Albums > Songs. Some people do Genre, but there's too much gray area there so I don't. If you have thousands of unorganized songs then yes it would be hard to navigate, but any standard homo-sapien should be able to develop a file structure better than that.

I find the user-friendliness excellent. You can use the Oppo's remote to scroll through your files on screen, or you can use the android/ios app for your phone or tablet. The app is nice because you can either use it as a true "remote", where you scroll on screen, or you can scroll on the device and pick songs that way.

I've used a squeezebox touch. Nice device. I like the Oppo better. Off the grid... or not with DLNA. The Oppo gives you options: network via DLNA, hard drive/thumb drive via USB A, or disc. The Oppo's DAC is also pretty decent... and the video is great. Quite the swiss army knife.
    2-Channel: PC > Schiit Eitr > Audio Research DAC-8 > Audio Research LS-26 > Pass Labs X-250.5 > Magnepan 3.7's

Living Room: PC > Marantz AV-7703 > Emotiva XPA-5 > Sonus Faber Liuto Towers, Sonus Faber Liuto Center, Sonus Faber Liuto Bookshelves > Dual SVS PC12-Pluses

Office: Phone/Tablet > AudioEngine B1 > McIntosh D100 > Bryston 4B-ST > Polk Audio LSiM-703's
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    edited June 2014

Most of the user-friendliness concerns are mitigated by good file management on your HD. If you have TB's of music, then you have to have good organization. I take pride in my folder mgt. Simple. Artists > Albums > Songs.

I do basically the same thing with the HD for my Bryston file player. I have 5 top levels; Classical, Jazz, Not Jazz, Rap, and Rock. Under each one is Artist->Album->songs. Works great. I also could care less about album cover art.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • steveinaz
    edited July 2014
    My hard drive is setup that way as well (Artist>Album>Songs). Thanks for the info.