Addind 10uf Cap to Polk Ex3500 tweeter

Systems
Systems Posts: 14,873
edited February 2004 in Car Audio & Electronics
Hi All,

I am replacing Bose tweeter's in my G35 and a bunch of people are recommending putting a 10uf cap inline to get better response. I am not sure what exactly this will do so I was wondering if anyone who knows something about crossovers could explain what this is going to do.
Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited February 2004
    10uf capacitor?

That's a 10 micro-farad capcitor I am assuming?

If that is the case, I can't think of why you would want to do that unless they are meaning to use it as a bass blocker. I think 10uf is kinda low though and I don't see how a capacitor would improve frequency response all by itself. All by itself it's going to limit response.

I think you need to ask those who recommended that particular level of capacitance to you because I don't think that one that low is going to do anything for you.

Usually bass blockers are in the 100-600uf range, not 10uf. Unless I'm just not thinking of something.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • haghighi
    haghighi Posts: 33
    edited February 2004
    I am trying to achieve a 4000hz crossover point. The Polk manual for the EX3500 states a second order crossover high pass filter is set for 12db/highpass octave.

Looking at the crossover circuit board I see two capacitors rated at 1.5uF @50V in-line connected to the postive line, and what seems to be a coil rated at .25mH +/- 10%

So the option is to use this Polk crossover, or replace it with a single 10uF non-polarized cap rated at 50v.

What's the difference here?
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited February 2004
    I think you already got the answer in the Troubleshooting forum on what the difference between the two is.

As far as whether you should use the capacitor or not, I'll say not. The crossover that you got with the EX speakers is designed to send the high frequencies to the tweeters and the lower frequencies to the woofers. Putting just that capacitor in is going to block all low frequency signals to the woofers too.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!