Will the PSW505 go nicely with the Monitor 75Ts

Options
2»

Comments

• ROHfan
    ROHfan Posts: 1,014
    edited June 2014
    Options
    Dude, go with an XS15 from Power Sound Audio. I emailed them about two months back and who answered the phone but Tom Vodhanel himself! He's the co-owner. That was all the reason I needed and we spent many emails making sure I made the right choice. I don't know what you consider a high price point for an amp but it cost me about $750 including shipping and it arrive to me in three days.

Another sub I almost got was the HSU STF-2 which was $559 plus $67 shipping. It has a 10" down-firing sub with a 250 watt/1000 watt peak amp. There are 2 round vent holes in the back where you can choose to insert the included foam plugs into one or both ports. Sealing off the sub's ports will provide better, tighter bass for music and keeping the sub's ports open will be better for home theater.

Bottom line, you get what you pay for. If I had listened to the guys here when I first got involved in audio I wouldn't have gone through four speaker sets, three AVRs, and two subs. It seems like a lot but in the long run you'll be saving money if you do it right the first time. I calculated the cost of the system I have now and then calculated all the upgrades previously and of course I spent more going through upgrade after upgrade. I hope this helps.
    TV: 65" Samsung QLED 4K
    Fronts: Energy RC70 --- Center: Energy RC-LCR
    Front Heights: Polk RC65i --- Rears: Polk RC85i --- Sub: Power Sound Audio XS15
    Pioneer VSX-1120K --- Parasound HCA-1000A --- Oppo BDP-103
    Vincent Audio SA31 preamp --- Teac UD301 DAC
    AIYIMA Tube T7 preamp --- Nobsound 12AX7 tube preamplifier
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited June 2014
    Options
    Not to be a contrarian but, doesn't almost EVERYONE here ALWAYS advise spending MORE rather than less, going BIGGER rather than smaller, upping your POWER rather than lowering it, etc.

If you actually listened to the advice most give HERE, your kids would be lucky to graduate some second rate Community College and work in fast food? lol

Besides. Audio is a journey, does anyone jump into it knowing exactly where they will end up? Some of the older members (older in member years, that is) know this VERY well!

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • ROHfan
    ROHfan Posts: 1,014
    edited June 2014
    Options
    cnh wrote: »
    Not to be a contrarian but, doesn't almost EVERYONE here ALWAYS advise spending MORE rather than less, going BIGGER rather than smaller, upping your POWER rather than lowering it, etc.

If you actually listened to the advice most give HERE, your kids would be lucky to graduate some second rate Community College and work in fast food? lol

Besides. Audio is a journey, does anyone jump into it knowing exactly where they will end up? Some of the older members (older in member years, that is) know this VERY well!

cnh

I am not disagreeing with you at all. Quite the contrary. Go big or go home.
    TV: 65" Samsung QLED 4K
    Fronts: Energy RC70 --- Center: Energy RC-LCR
    Front Heights: Polk RC65i --- Rears: Polk RC85i --- Sub: Power Sound Audio XS15
    Pioneer VSX-1120K --- Parasound HCA-1000A --- Oppo BDP-103
    Vincent Audio SA31 preamp --- Teac UD301 DAC
    AIYIMA Tube T7 preamp --- Nobsound 12AX7 tube preamplifier
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 8,001
    edited June 2014
    Options
    ROHfan wrote: »
    Bottom line, you get what you pay for. If I had listened to the guys here when I first got involved in audio I wouldn't have gone through four speaker sets, three AVRs, and two subs. It seems like a lot but in the long run you'll be saving money if you do it right the first time. I calculated the cost of the system I have now and then calculated all the upgrades previously and of course I spent more going through upgrade after upgrade. I hope this helps.

I will say that this is true for me as well, if I had skipped even have of my "upgrades" over the years I could one kick a$$ setup. BUT, I would have lost out on a lot of fun along the way, and I wouldn't have the knowledge of various setups that I have now without the journey. Also, as a side note my wife tolerates the buying and selling and incremental upgrades, but would I don't know if she would have ever tolerated my slapping down several grand in one single purchase even if I had saved it up slowly. YMMV...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • Tornado Red
    Tornado Red Posts: 939
    edited June 2014
    Options
    Don't know if this was mentioned, but the correct center channel timbre match from Polk for the 75T's would be either the 25c (I'm running that with my 75Ts) or the 15c. The 15c is 7/8" less deep than the CS10 if that helps any with the space you have.
  • Talon_Sr
    Talon_Sr Posts: 125
    edited June 2014
    Options
    15C: 21.5 x 13 x 11 inches ; 14 pounds

CS10: 9.8 x 20 x 6.5 inches ; 16 pounds

If these are correct, then even if the LxWxD measurements are mixed up, the 15C is still deeper
    But, these dimensions come from Amazon, so who knows? They could be wrong. The dimensions at this site are shorter. It looks nice but I would need the black finish, so I'll have to look around. On the positive side, the SC-1523-K comes today, so I'm AMP-ed!! (pun intended).
    Pioneer SC-1523-K and VSX-1018AH-K; Polk Monitor 75T Fronts, Pioneer S-HF11C Center, Cerwin Vega VE-5M surrounds and backs; Polk PSW-505 with Mediabridge SW cable; Onkyo SKW-204 with Mediabridge SW cable; Oppo BDP-103; Akai GX-255 Open Reel.
  • Tornado Red
    edited June 2014
    Options
    Talon_Sr wrote: »
    15C: 21.5 x 13 x 11 inches ; 14 pounds

CS10: 9.8 x 20 x 6.5 inches ; 16 pounds

If these are correct, then even if the LxWxD measurements are mixed up, the 15C is still deeper
    But, these dimensions come from Amazon, so who knows? They could be wrong. The dimensions at this site are shorter. It looks nice but I would need the black finish, so I'll have to look around. On the positive side, the SC-1523-K comes today, so I'm AMP-ed!! (pun intended).

Polk shows the CS10 to be 9 3/4" deep and the 15c to be 8 7/8" deep, and personally I'd take their measurements over anything from Amazon. Also, both are available in cherry or black finish. Have fun with your new AVR!
  • Talon_Sr
    edited June 2014
    Options
    Thanks TR. Yeah I think Amazon is FUBAR. Where exactly have you seen it selling in black? I looked everywhere.
    Pioneer SC-1523-K and VSX-1018AH-K; Polk Monitor 75T Fronts, Pioneer S-HF11C Center, Cerwin Vega VE-5M surrounds and backs; Polk PSW-505 with Mediabridge SW cable; Onkyo SKW-204 with Mediabridge SW cable; Oppo BDP-103; Akai GX-255 Open Reel.
  • Tornado Red
    edited June 2014
    Options
    Thanks TR. Yeah I think Amazon is FUBAR. Where exactly have you seen it selling in black? I looked everywhere.

Right here on Polk's web site. Go to "Products" at the top of the page, both centers are available in both colors. As for where you're buying them, that could vary. Check out Polk, BB, Amazon, Newegg, etc....
  • Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,209
    edited June 2014
    Options
    I don't know if it has already been mentioned, but also check out Polk's eBay store. They sell new and refurbs, both come with a warranty. They have great prices there!
  • Tornado Red
    edited June 2014
    Options
    Yeah, what Herm said. The 15c in black seems to be MIA at a lot of places for some reason. I typed in "Polk 15c" at their ebay site and this picture popped up. Doesn't look like a center channel to me. Anyone have a guess where the drivers might be?
  • Talon_Sr
    edited June 2014
    Options
    IDK, but I'll bet there's a slotted bass port if you look hard enough.
  • Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,209
    edited June 2014
    Options
    I typed in "Polk 15c" at their ebay site and this picture popped up. Doesn't look like a center channel to me. Anyone have a guess where the drivers might be?

That center channel seems to "image" well!
  • Talon_Sr
    edited June 2014
    Options
    Ok one more and that's it. "Boy, I'd really enjoy hooking that up with my Monster cable."
  • Tornado Red
    edited June 2014
    Options
    How about ......"it's nice and has a full bodied sound, but I prefer vinyl"....
  • Talon_Sr
    edited June 2014
    Options
    Pretty good TR. This is starting to remind me of an old LP I have called "Toys in the Attic" by [well, you know]. The song "Big Ten Inch Record". Innuendo after innuendo. Btw, I always tried to get the Mobile Fidelity Labs' Original Master copy of those LPs. Still have pretty many of those.
  • Tornado Red
    edited June 2014
    Options
    Pretty good TR. This is starting to remind me of an old LP I have called "Toys in the Attic" by [well, you know]. The song "Big Ten Inch Record". Innuendo after innuendo. Btw, I always tried to get the Mobile Fidelity Labs' Original Master copy of those LPs. Still have pretty many of those.

I had a few of those years ago, Cosmo's Factory etc, somehow my son ended up with them all...