Heh, funny people!

Jstas
Jstas Posts: 14,804
edited March 2004 in Car Audio & Electronics
Guy at work was talking about his wife's car stereo a few days ago. He was complaining that the CD Player starts to skip when he turns the music up. He heard me talking about clipping and asked me what I thought. He told me he thinks his CD changer is clipping. I was holding back a guffaw and wondering what he was talking about at the same time.

Well, he just stopped by to ask me to take a look. So I went out to the car. In the corner was an Infinity BassLink subwoofer. It was mounted vertically and off to the right side of the trunk. Now these BassLink subs may not sound the greatest but they are powerful and make alot of noise.

So I looked in the trunk and immediatly saw the source of the "clipping" of the cd changer. I asked him to turn up the sound while playing a CD from the changer. He did so and got the volume up about halfway and the CD Changer sure enough, started "clipping" as he put it. The CD Changer was skipping because of where it was mounted...3 inches from the front of the Infinity subwoofer.

I told him he has no problem with his equipment and that he needed to move the CD Changer.

Made me laugh though.
Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
Post edited by Jstas on

Comments

• sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited February 2004
    Well theres this really bumpy road I have to go down sometimes...every time I hit a bump really hard, my CD player clips, but it only happens with CDs, never with FM/AM/XM radio...
    any suggestions?
    :D
    -Cody
  • TheAudioSpectru
    TheAudioSpectru Posts: 57
    edited February 2004
    Kinda sounds like a CC install to me heh...
  • geolemon
    geolemon Posts: 67
    edited March 2004
    I had a similar problem once...
    I had mounted my CD changer under my rear deck... and had 'glassed a pair of sub enclosures around my wheel well voids.
    I had suspended some 3/4" plexi over the subs as a compound loading surface, and just hadn't thought that aspect of it through fully... (and really, didn't expect to get as much SPL out of the things as I did)

The loading panels effectively end up forcing all the output out the sides of the loading panel (obviously)...
    ... and directly at my CD changer. Damn.

I was able to bend a piece of 1/4" blue plexi that I had around here (acrylic is a thermoplastic! Bend carefully, there are guides available to tell you what temperatures, etc), and bent myself a little oversized CD changer shaped "blast shield" if you will.

It certainly did help... although it didn't fully eliminate it.

With a later install, I relocated the CD changer into my backseat armrest.

But really... isn't ALL of this sort of silly anyway?
    I mean hey, even my little $50 portable CD player has 45 seconds of anti-skip memory... why not in car audio?
    You hardly ever see it. :rolleyes: