4 Shot Echo Issue

garbagegamerspk
garbagegamerspk Posts: 4
edited July 2014 in Video Games
Hey guys I just got my boom mic today for my 4 shots and sadly I have been hearing complaints from friends that the headset is badly echoing within chat. I was wondering if anyone has been experiencing the same issue, I have been messing with the controller chat mixer and have kind of solved the issue by adjusting the chat volume way down but almost to the point where its unhearable on my end... Any real solutions?

Thanks!
Post edited by garbagegamerspk on

Comments

• sframsden3
    sframsden3 Posts: 52
    edited April 2014
    In the parties I have been in, my voice echoes but only I can hear it. Same with the others in the party... They hear themselves echo but no one else in the party. I have no idea if this is a Polk issue or something else...
  • mattinglyb11
    mattinglyb11 Posts: 3
    edited April 2014
    I am having this same problem. When I am in a party using the boom mic cable, everyone complains that they can hear themselves echoing. Everyone sounds perfectly fine at my end. Then when I switch and use the headset that came with the Xbox One the echoing stops for them. Has anyone found a solution to this? I've emailed Polk THREE TIMES with no response from customer service.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,394
    edited April 2014
    I must ask. Many people have complained about their friends having problems hearing them. I am assuming there are a group of people.What headsets are they, the group is using? Is everyone in the group using something different? who is everyone and what are they using? And if everyone else in the group is perfect, why are you using the product that you are?

Halen
  • mattinglyb11
    edited April 2014
    Well the 4 Shots were the first official Xbox One headsets to be released (along with Turtle Beaches' and the Microsoft headset). I like the Polk brand a lot so I assumed they would be the same quality as the rest of their products. I am more than satisfied with the audio quality of the headset but the mic issues have been a nightmare.

To answer your other questions Halen, most of the time the members in my group are using the Microsoft headset that was shipped with the xbox one, or a mixture of other 3rd party headsets (i.e. Turtle Beach brand headsets) and the Microsoft ones. I am the only one in my circle of online friends that has the 4 shots and when I use the boom mic they hear echos of themselves. If I turn down the chat volume to very low they do not hear the echo but when the volume is at a comfortable level, where I am not straining to hear my party's conversation, my whole party except me can hear echos.

I'm wondering if there is anything I can do to remedy this. Did I receive bad mic hardware and need a replacement or is this common among all 4 Shot users who are using the boom mic? Any suggestions would help..
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    edited April 2014
    Hello,
    I'll pass this along to the folks at Polk CS and engineering. What might be happening is the sound from the headphones is being picked up by the boom microphone, creating the echo.
    Regards, Ken
  • mattinglyb11
    edited April 2014
    Thank you Kenneth.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited April 2014
    Hello,
    The engineering department is aware of the possible problem. They note that there can be more than one cause for echoing. The main cause could be the level of your master volume or your fellow players. One engineer said, "I always have success when I turned my master volume all the way up and then backed it down about five steps from there. The other factor in all this is the comfort level which can vary from game to game. You have to take all this into consideration, but at the end of the day you can have a great gaming headset with the correct settings."
    I hope this is helpful.
    Regards, Ken
  • garbagegamerspk
    edited April 2014
    Hey guys sorry I didn't reply back sooner, I have also been in contact with polk via email the past week or so about the issue. According to a different rep other than Ken, this could be due to a bad chat puck. I'm still awaiting my replacement from polk to test this theory, but, and not to sound cynical and/or critical of Ken's very own response in here, I can't be the only one that is pretty tired of the BS here, there have been no noticeable steps or timeframes to make the integrated headset work correctly that we have been made aware of. The echo issue was occurring before the boom mic as well, but was chalked up to "bad software". I hope and I do say hope the puck is the only issue, but furthermore its bull**** that we have to tune down our audio to get rid of other players echoing, sacrificing our own experience because of a companies so far not up to par product. I may be alone here but I generally like to be able to hear my what others are saying as part of the experience as well as hear the game otherwise whats the point of buying an overly expensive headset????? I am a fan of the sound quality but once again its bull**** that I as well as many others have been effected in such a negative way with many unresolved issues for over 2 months....
  • [Deleted User]
    edited April 2014
    Hello,
    I can certainly understand your frustration, nobody likes having anything that isn't working as it should. I'm sure Polk's CS rep is correct a replacement adapter should solve the problem.
    If you want to email me your first and last name (kenswauger@tapepath.com) I'll contact Polk and get tracking information on your replacement.
    Regards, Ken
  • sframsden3
    edited April 2014
    I feel like the echo issue is due to the boom mic picking up voices from the headset itself. Very disappointing to say the least that I can't play games at my preferred volume because of the boom mic now. I think they need to adjust the mic gain level for the boom mic, as it seems maybe a little too sensitive (basically the exact opposite problem that existed before). Looking for a happy medium here now, that is all.

I don't think telling folks to turn down their volume is the best option, because I have had Turtle Beaches on my XBox 360 and always played loud and never had this problem before where the mic picks up people's voices from my headset and then causes echoes.
  • garbagegamerspk
    edited May 2014
    Thanks Polk for getting everything taken care of quickly again after some talking back and fourth. There is still an issue after getting the new puck with friends voices being echo'd/ projected back through my headset making me believe there is an issue with the headset itself or the audio pickup for the boom mic is set too loud within the software.

Thanks though for the effort hopefully we can get the issue resolved soon!
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    edited May 2014
    Just a question... have any of you gamers thought about stepping away from the joystick and headsets to play a real game, in person with each other that does not involve a couch???? Basketball.... flag football... tennis???

just wondering out loud is all.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • sframsden3
    edited May 2014
    Just a question... have any of you gamers thought about stepping away from the joystick and headsets to play a real game, in person with each other that does not involve a couch???? Basketball.... flag football... tennis???

just wondering out loud is all.

You're assuming all we do is sit on the couch and game. Some people are lucky enough to get a few moments to themselves once or twice a week late at night to sit down and game with their buddies. When they do get that time we'd like it to be a great experience. No need to make stereotypes here my man.
  • garbagegamerspk
    edited May 2014
    hey nooshinjohn,

I understand you are probably just trying to get a kick out of pissing someone off... But what you are doing is subjectively assuming that we are all super nerds incapable of being athletic or doing other things. The fact of the matter is Gaming is one of mine as well as others passions and hobbies. One of many. If you want to take me on a date or really get to know me I'll Inform you that I was a varsity letter winner in track as well as soccer throughout high school, partook in these collegiate sports as well on top of being heavily involved in freestyle skiing and motocross. Thank you for making idiot assumptions on a forum though to act like a troll and that we have no other lives touch
  • ddraig
    ddraig Posts: 1
    edited June 2014
    I've been having the same echo issues ever since I started using the boom mic. Finally my party can hear me, but they also hear an echo of themselves. They all ask what headset I have and they aren't too impressed, either. Polk is hurting their own sales and reputation by not fixing this issue in a timely manner.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited June 2014
    Hello,
    Welcome to Polk's forum, I'm sorry there's a problem. Give Polk's CS guys a call at 1-800-377-7655 I'm sure they can be of help.
    Regards, Ken
  • Xanthor
    Xanthor Posts: 53
    edited July 2014
    prob xbox not the headphones. xbox don't like 3rd party stuff.
  • Xanthor
    edited July 2014
    even there own stuff echos sometimes
  • Xanthor
    edited July 2014
    I tried a lot head sets from them. 1) the reg ones, sometimes u get that fuc*ing annoying sound that sounds like a fire alarm. n think when it happings when they gotta do something for a couple mins. makes u wanna take yours off and throw then that **** is loud.
  • Xanthor
    edited July 2014
    2)my blutooth from then. love this thing to death when playing xbox, great crisp sound and great mic. prob is this dam thing will make your voice sound real low where it sounds like your mumbleing.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,711
    edited July 2014
    Is English not your first language?
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Xanthor
    edited July 2014
    3) old wireless one from them, same as the fire alarm of dam death
  • Xanthor
    edited July 2014
    nut im typing real fast in the dark no time for spell check
  • Xanthor
    edited July 2014
    can these head sets b used on a pc? if yes try then on Skype of some kind of chat to see of any issues?
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,711
    edited July 2014
    Xanthor wrote: »
    nut im typing real fast in the dark no time for spell check

In that case, I suggest you cease until conditions are more conductive for using spell check, which you really shouldn't need if you passed sixth grade.

I would also suggest not trying to rack up 100 posts in one night. We'll be here tomorrow and the next day and the next..... :cool:
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Xanthor
    edited July 2014
    really im typing not spelling, and I really have no point to rack up post.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    edited July 2014
    Xanthor wrote: »
    really im typing not spelling, and I really have no point to rack up post.

Funny, I thought typing and spelling went hand in hand.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Xanthor
    edited July 2014
    it is funny but when people r good on the keyboard there not staring down at the keys trying to SPELL out the word vs people who type quick should know where the keys are and find there mistake while reading what they type. yea I can admit I went a little to quick and lazy for not fixing it.
  • not to bump an old thread, but im getting this issue, and its driving me nuts, any solutions?
  • Hello,
    The best approach is to contact Polk's CS department either via email to: polkcs@polkaudio.com or via telephone at: 1-800-377-7655 for help.
    Regards, Ken