Streaming Quality

hochpt21
hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
edited April 2014 in Going Digital
This is not intended to be mind blowing, but just a quick observation from this morning.

I've never known if I could hear the difference between music streaming bitrates, but chose to use MOG mostly based on it offering the highest at 320 kbps. I figured why not.

I have been streaming Spotify's free version at 160 kbps for the past couple months since MOG announced it changeover to Beats.

Most of my listening is through my Audioengine A2's using a Jolida Glass DAC mini on my desktop.

Well, MOG hasn't shut down yet, so today I opened it up and played some Diana Krall...........Significant difference.

After listening to Spotify exclusively for at least two hours a day over the past two months and then switching to MOG, I noticed a significant improvement in sound quality.

Spotify says they offer 320 kbps on their premium version, but I was hoping to avoid the $10 per month and just stick with Spotify's free version.....but after today, looks like I'll be switching.
2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
Post edited by hochpt21 on

Comments

• steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    edited April 2014
    320kbps is not too bad as far as lossy goes. Way back when, when I had an ipod shuffle, I opted for 320, and found it pretty acceptable.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • jeremymarcinko
    jeremymarcinko Posts: 3,785
    edited April 2014
    My Onkyo Avr has Spotify built-in, to be honest It is so close to CD quality that I really can't tell the difference. I've tried many times playing the two formats, switching inputs and no noticeable difference with my budget setup anyway. Spotify 320 im sure isnt perfect but sounds very nice to me with well mastered recordings.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant