Prediction from 1965?

Options
2»

Comments

• Polkie2009
    Polkie2009 Posts: 3,834
    edited April 2014
    Options
    I would submit to you that lack of religion has killed more people in the last 100 years. Conservative estimates place the number of dead brought about under communist/totalitarianism at 200,000,000.

If we allow ourselves to extrapolate those numbers over the past 2000 years, I believe we would see that religion saved more lives than were taken by the zealots that twisted religion to suit their lust for power.
    +1000! Thank you John for bringing up this comparison. some people just don't "get it". Seems like since the early 60's more and more people have moved away from moral guidance into doing their own thing. Not really caring about what consequences may come with this. No wonder some many kids these days are screwed up and killing each other or their parents or grandparents etc... Wake up folks , it's happening everyday around you.
  • jephdood
    jephdood Posts: 1,671
    edited April 2014
    Options
    Um, I don't need religion to have a strong moral compass. And I know plenty of truly religious people that I wouldn't trust to get my mail for me. There really isn't a true correlation between the two.
    "I did not slap you. I high-fived your face."
  • stretchl
    stretchl Posts: 1,334
    edited April 2014
    Options
    Recognizing that religion in the public sphere is an all-or-none deal, I would like to use this thread as an opportunity to wish everyone an (early) Happy Festivus!

http://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2013/12/pabst-blue-ribbon-festivus-pole-erected-in-florida.html
    “Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'
    - Isaac Asimov

Hi-Fi
    Apple Lossless --> Squeezebox Touch --> Joule Electra LA-100 Mark iii --> Odyssey Khartargo Mono Plus --> LSiM-705's
    Cabling by Groneberg
    Visuals
    https://media.illinois.edu/journalism/ledford-charles-stretch
    bit.ly/stretchonphotojournalism
    http://Vimeo.com/channels/stretchphoto
  • jflail2
    jflail2 Posts: 2,868
    edited April 2014
    Options
    jephdood wrote: »
    Um, I don't need religion to have a strong moral compass. And I know plenty of truly religious people that I wouldn't trust to get my mail for me. There really isn't a true correlation between the two.

Agreed completely sir. Well put.
    2007 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

2010 Club Polk Fantasy Football Champ

2011 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!"
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,534
    edited April 2014
    Options
    jephdood wrote: »

I agree, I believe it's a combination of things (moral compass), most importantly PARENTS.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • oldmodman
    oldmodman Posts: 740
    edited April 2014
    Options
    Anyone else remember when deeds had interesting covenants attached to them?

I am not supposed to sell my house to people of color, Chinamen, or the Irish.