Progressive Scan: what do you know?

Options
Micah Cohen
Micah Cohen Posts: 2,022
edited February 27 in Clubhouse Archives
Let's get into it:

Can someone give me a good layman's explanation of "progressive scan"? Do I need a progressive scan TV to use a progressive scan DVD player? What's the diff between a progressive scan DVD player and a "line doubler"?

Thanks!

MC
ultramicah@yahoo.com

"There's nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney
Post edited by RyanC_Masimo on

Comments

• TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited July 2001
    Options
    what's this start a new serious thread....

Trying to leave me hanging over there....no dice....I will be a pain in the **** until I am no longer a Polkie.....
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • jeffeb3
    jeffeb3 Posts: 106
    edited July 2001
    Options
    Ahh, extra buttons!!
    Regular tv w/ regular dvd is lines 1,3,5,7,9, etc. then 2,4,6,8,10, etc. then goes back to 1,3, you get the point. there are sixty frames in one second. :D

Progressive scan tv a.k.a. hdtv ready tv's with a progressive scan dvd will do all lines for all frames. if you don't have either the right dvd or the right tv this will not happen.

HOWEVER, there are some hdtv ready tv's that use line doublers that will take your 1,3,5,7, etc picture and do 1,1,3,3,5,5,7,7,9,9, one frame and 2,2,4,4,6,6,8,8,10,10, the next. It's a blockier picture and circles or curved lines turn out the wierdest.

3:2 pulldown:

also, if your familiar with movie film, they record/playback at 24 prames per second. so the dvd player uses the same frame over and over. EX:

movie frame: 1,2,3,4,5,6

tv frame: 1,1,1,2,2,3,3,3,4,4,5,5,5,6,6

this causes some problems with fast movments. Progressive scan with a progressive tv is supposed to eliminate these problems
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited July 2001
    Options
    ....reminds me of an old saying by John O'Toole

I've heard somewhere he said this:

When executing advertising, it's best to think of yourself as an uninvited guest in the living room of a prospect who has the magical power to make you disappear instantly

Isnt that great? I LOVE that saying...it just FLOWS so well

Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • jeffeb3
    edited July 2001
    Options
    lol :D I wonder who the MODERATOR is sounds like a role for arnold swartzenegger <--I don't really know how to spell it.
  • TroyD
    edited July 2001
    Options
    Sheer brilliance my man!

M and J are probably drinking heavily by now.....not a bad idea now that I think of it.

TroyD
  • RuSsMaN
    edited July 2001
    Options
    All those numbers earlier, that was like the drinking last night.....

Im friggin BEAT man, Micah could even kick my **** today.

Bored, ima go walk around the office, see what everyone else is doing, maybe raid someones lunch out of the fridge....

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • jeffeb3
    edited July 2001
    Options
    number eight!! I'm on my way to anoying son-of-a-b*tch
  • TroyD
    edited July 2001
    Options
    a two day break, midweek is not always a great thing.....I went through a two month supply of Boddington's in 2 days. Not good today.....

SHAFT
  • RuSsMaN
    edited July 2001
    Options
    Still had my wallet, the car wasn't banged up, and my beautiful wife was still sleeping next to me.....

But man, after the fireworks were done, I can't remember very much....woke up a little worried, but all is well....except for the ENORMOUS amounts of gas I have today. I swear, every 10 minutes, sounds like someone is blowin their nose.

SuperFly TNT
  • TroyD
    edited July 2001
    Options
    I woke up this morning and pretended to be asleep until Wendi got up to see if she was in a bad mood. I had my stanby line ready "I have no recollection of that event...."

SHAFT
  • TroyD
    edited July 2001
    Options
    What were you drinking? Haffenrafer Private Stock?

SHAFT
  • RuSsMaN
    edited July 2001
    Options
    The first place we went had ****-beer-piss-water Coors Light, went through a few of those, got out quick, then on to some Stoleys rocks, chased em with Grolsch of all things...

Finally got home, ready to pack a cooler for fireworks, I said F it, and got a couple sixers of Pete's Wicked....

SuperFly TNT
  • TroyD
    edited July 2001
    Options
    We pretty much hung out here at the Dion ranch..I never got too far from the manfridge which suits me fine.....Stoli/Grolsch, that is an interesting combo.
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited July 2001
    Options
    My Beer farts are gone now. But let me tell you, they were bad. Stinky little fellas.

Peace Out~:D
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • Ron-P
    edited July 2001
    Options
    To answer your question Micah,
    Progressive Scan: what do you know?

It's better:eek:

If...
  • TroyD
    edited July 2001
    Options
    ...got me evicted from my office today, by the people in the NEXT office

SHAFT(ed)
  • jeffeb3
    edited July 2001
    Options
    did what I say actually help? was I right?
  • Ron-P
    edited July 2001
    Options
    Yes, Jeffeb3, you pretty much nailed it. That is probably why the thread derailed so fast.

If...