Jriver versus SqueeseBox

polk500
polk500 Posts: 1,171
edited March 2014 in Going Digital
So a few weeks ago I decided to install Jriver on my media laptop. It's a HP pro book 2011 everything is hard wired no wireless so it's a descent laptop hooked up to a Cambridge DAC magic 100 the USB cable is plain jane may be the problem...
Most of the files were pulled from my Itunes account some of that music was downloaded from ITunes and some from CD ripped apple lossless.
Well most times the tunes sounded pretty good but sometimes they sounded off, tinny, while other were out of tempo. Well I couldn't stand it so I deleted the library reloaded the iTunes music and ripped my favorite 20 CD's useing Jriver. And the problem still persist and it not always the same songs either.

When I switch over to the Squeese Box and play the same songs no issues sounds great.

So either I screwed up something or the SB is a better player in my system. Oh and the SB is hooked up to the same DAC as well.

Anyway just a bit frustrated any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Roger
Post edited by polk500 on

Comments

• zane77
    zane77 Posts: 1,696
    edited March 2014
    What kind of ripping are you using in JRiver, FLAC or what? I am using my Squeezebox now but it seems like JRiver gets pretty good reviews and has quite a following. I'm thinking about using this on a Mac mini that I have that is not being used. Currently I am using a PC with FLAC to Squeezebox to the Oppo via optical.
    Home Theater
    Onkyo PR-SC5508 Sharp LC-70LE847U
    Emotiva XPA-5 Emotiva XPA-2 Emotiva UPA-2
    Front RTi-A9 Wide RTi-A7 Center CSi-A6 Surround FXi-A6 Rear RTi-A3 Sub 2x PSW505
    Sony BDP-S790 Dishnetwork Hopper/Joey Logitech Harmony One Apple TV
    Two Channel
    Oppo 105D BAT VK-500 w/BatPack SDA SRS 2.3 Dreadnought Squeezebox Touch Apple TV
  • brgman
    brgman Posts: 2,859
    edited March 2014
    What output settings do you have in Audio?
    You using WASAPI OR ASIO?
    May need to make sure you are bypassing any soundcard setting that is giving you inferior sound
    I use JRiver and SB Touch and it sounds great
    Main Rig-Realistic AM/FM Record player 8 track boasting 4 WPC

Backup Rig-2 CH-Rogue Audio Zeus w/Factory Special Dark Mods,Joule-Electra 300ME Platinum Preamp,OPPO-105 w/Modwright Tube Mod, Auralic Aries G2.1,Polk 2.3TL,3.1TL's,Dreadnought,RTA-15TL's,1C's All Fully Modded,2xRTA-12c's ,Benchmark DAC3 HGC,Synology NAS,VPI Scout w/Dynavector DV-20XH and Rogue Audio Ares Phono Preamp,Sony PCM-R500 DAT,HHB-850 Pro CDR,Tascam CC-222SLMKII Cassette/CDR,MIT S3.3 Shotgun Cables,Shunyata Hyra-8,Shunyata and Triode Labs Power Cords

I’M OFFENDED!!!!
  • polk500
    edited March 2014
    I'm ripping it to FLAC I will go into the setting and check the output setting.

Cheers
    Roger
  • polk500
    edited March 2014
    Well it appears that my laptop doesn't support wasapi or asio. As I'm not sure what either is I will have to do some research and see if I can correct the problem.

Cheers
    Roger
  • brgman
    brgman Posts: 2,859
    edited March 2014
    Set it to DIRECT and see how it sounds
    Main Rig-Realistic AM/FM Record player 8 track boasting 4 WPC

Backup Rig-2 CH-Rogue Audio Zeus w/Factory Special Dark Mods,Joule-Electra 300ME Platinum Preamp,OPPO-105 w/Modwright Tube Mod, Auralic Aries G2.1,Polk 2.3TL,3.1TL's,Dreadnought,RTA-15TL's,1C's All Fully Modded,2xRTA-12c's ,Benchmark DAC3 HGC,Synology NAS,VPI Scout w/Dynavector DV-20XH and Rogue Audio Ares Phono Preamp,Sony PCM-R500 DAT,HHB-850 Pro CDR,Tascam CC-222SLMKII Cassette/CDR,MIT S3.3 Shotgun Cables,Shunyata Hyra-8,Shunyata and Triode Labs Power Cords

I’M OFFENDED!!!!
  • polk500
    edited March 2014
    brgman wrote: »
    Set it to DIRECT and see how it sounds

Playing direct now sounds not to bad Listening to Meddle. So from what I been reading so far tonight part of the problem could be the cheap no name USB cable. Any suggestions.

Cheers
    Roger
  • polk500
    edited March 2014
    So I picked up a MIT style link Digital USB 2.0 hooked it up so far so good. Will see how it sounds after burn in.

Cheers
    Roger
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    edited March 2014
    The problem with the JRiver approach is you're going thru an extra conversion, from USB to spdif, and are being bottlenecked by the average converter in that Cambridge. That is a decent DAC but the USB converter on board is only OK. In order to really compare the two options then you need to account for that, which means get yourself a good USB converter.
  • polk500
    edited March 2014
    Some suggestions on good brands would be fantastic.

Cheers
    Roger
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited March 2014
    The absolute best one I've heard is the Stello U3.
  • polk500
    edited March 2014
    Quite inpressive,any other contenders?
    Problem is I can fined lots on the net but have no idea if they are great pieces or it all marketing hype.

Cheers
    Roger
  • polk500
    edited March 2014
    DSkip wrote: »
    Danny knows his digital. As far as I'm concerned, he's the go-to guy for all things digital. BTW Danny, I see in your sig that you got the DAC-ITx, but I don't recall you ever posting your thoughts on it. I didn't even know you had gotten it. How's it treating you?

Hey Dkip, just looking for stuff to read and compare as it's been said lot's half the fun is in the research. Until Danny brought it to my attention I never even heard of a converter.

Cheers
    Roger
  • dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,894
    edited March 2014
    Check out the M2Tech HiFace Two. I'm using this with stellar results between my PC w/ JRiver and DAC, and they've really come down in price lately. About half the price of the Stello.
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Inakustik Reference USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited March 2014
    DSkip wrote: »
    Danny knows his digital. As far as I'm concerned, he's the go-to guy for all things digital. BTW Danny, I see in your sig that you got the DAC-ITx, but I don't recall you ever posting your thoughts on it. I didn't even know you had gotten it. How's it treating you?
    It sounds very similar to the original DAC-IT that I liked so much, but with a better USB implementation. I need to update my sig as I've moved on from the Peachtree products and am testing other options for the headphone and office rig. I still think they're very good for what they cost, but the DACs I'm testing now are in another league.

The Oppo 105 in the living room isn't going anywhere anytime soon, I'm looking at options for the other rig now. I'd like to just get another 105 and put it in there but it's too big for my desk, plus that's unoriginal and too easy so the search is on.
  • polk500
    edited March 2014
    Well after much reading finely figured out my problem the following is an excerpt from the owners Manuel;

Advanced USB audio
    The DacMagic 100 is both USB 2.0 (Hi-Speed) and USB 1.1 (Full-speed) USB port compatible.
    It will also work with the new USB 3.0 ports where the PC will simply treat the DacMagic 100 as if it were a USB 2.0 or 1.1 device.
    The DacMagic 100 also supports two USB Audio protocols (not the same as the port types themselves) USB Audio 1.0 (which works over USB 1.1 ports and supports up to 24-bit/96kHz) or USB Audio 2.0 (which requires a USB 2.0 port and can support up to 24-bit/192kHz).
    The default configuration is USB 1.1 and USB Audio 1.0 which works with nearly all common operating systems and computer types without drivers and supports up to 24-bit/96kHz audio, simply plug in and play.
    In this configuration the DacMagic 100 is able to work at up to 24-bit/96kHz by declaring to your computer that it can handle any sample rate from 32kHz to 96kHz.
    However in some Windows/Mac operating system variants the operating system itself may restrict or fix the output sample rate or re-sample the audio.
    See our online guide at www.cambridge-audio.com/ DacMagic100Support on USB Audio for more details on this. With careful choice of playback software and settings many pitfalls can be avoided.
    In particular our free Windows USB Audio 2.0 driver (available from our website) supports up to 24-bit/192kHz audio and WASPI Exclusive or ASIO modes that can give enhanced performance.
    A brief explanation of your choices is below:
    Switching between USB Class 1 and USB Class 2 operation
    Your DacMagic 100 will come set to driverless USB Audio Class 1.0 by default, but it can be configured to run in either USB Class Audio 1.0 or 2.0 mode. To change USB Class, press & hold the Source button while bringing the unit out of standby . One of the digital input source LEDs will illuminate to indicate the current USB setting: Digital 1 represents USB Audio Class 1.0, likewise Digital 2 is USB Audio Class 2.0.
    Use with PCs
    With the DacMagic 100 switched to USB Audio 1.0 (this is the default setting) the DacMagic 100 will work with the native Windows XP, Vista or 7 Audio 1.0 driver (no need to load any new driver) and accept audio up to 24-bit/96kHz.
    With the DacMagic 100 switched to USB Audio 2.0 the DacMagic 100 needs the Cambridge Audio USB Audio 2.0 Driver to be loaded and can then accept up to 24-bit/192kHz (and support ASIO and WASAPI Exclusive if required).

The DacMagic 100 is both USB 2.0 (Hi-Speed) and USB 1.1 (Full-speed) USB port compatible.
    It will also work with the new USB 3.0 ports where the PC will simply treat the DacMagic 100 as if it were a USB 2.0 or 1.1 device.
    The DacMagic 100 also supports two USB Audio protocols (not the same as the port types themselves) USB Audio 1.0 (which works over USB 1.1 ports and supports up to 24-bit/96kHz) or USB Audio 2.0 (which requires a USB 2.0 port and can support up to 24-bit/192kHz).
    The default configuration is USB 1.1 and USB Audio 1.0 which works with nearly all common operating systems and computer types without drivers and supports up to 24-bit/96kHz audio, simply plug in and play.
    In this configuration the DacMagic 100 is able to work at up to 24-bit/96kHz by declaring to your computer that it can handle any sample rate from 32kHz to 96kHz.
    However in some Windows/Mac operating system variants the operating system itself may restrict or fix the output sample rate or re-sample the audio.
    See our online guide at www.cambridge-audio.com/ DacMagic100Support on USB Audio for more details on this. With careful choice of playback software and settings many pitfalls can be avoided.
    In particular our free Windows USB Audio 2.0 driver (available from our website) supports up to 24-bit/192kHz audio and WASPI Exclusive or ASIO modes that can give enhanced performance.
    A brief explanation of your choices is below:
    Switching between USB Class 1 and USB Class 2 operation
    Your DacMagic 100 will come set to driverless USB Audio Class 1.0 by default, but it can be configured to run in either USB Class Audio 1.0 or 2.0 mode. To change USB Class, press & hold the Source button while bringing the unit out of standby . One of the digital input source LEDs will illuminate to indicate the current USB setting: Digital 1 represents USB Audio Class 1.0, likewise Digital 2 is USB Audio Class 2.0.
    Use with PCs
    With the DacMagic 100 switched to USB Audio 1.0 (this is the default setting) the DacMagic 100 will work with the native Windows XP, Vista or 7 Audio 1.0 driver (no need to load any new driver) and accept audio up to 24-bit/96kHz.
    With the DacMagic 100 switched to USB Audio 2.0 the DacMagic 100 needs the Cambridge Audio USB Audio 2.0 Driver to be loaded and can then accept up to 24-bit/192kHz (and support ASIO and WASAPI Exclusive if required).

So lesson learned read the Manuel twice or in my case three times, now sitting back enjoying the tunes trying not to think about USB Converters.

Cheers
    Roger
  • polk500
    edited March 2014
    Wow sorry for the screwed up post didn't realize it till today.

Cheers
    Roger