new polk audio RTi12's from ebay

Comments

• jaygax
    jaygax Posts: 153
    edited March 2014
    Geoff4rfc wrote: »
    +1

OP, also, if you need more evidence on set up, I can recommend fellow Polkie Ken Brydson, he came over and demoed my set up. He was in a word, impressed. Ken walked away wanting to go buy some CD's :)

ill keep that in mind. but i was thinking about just getting all the way to XPR5. i already have a 20 amp circuit and outlet installed on my HT room last year. when the XPR5 came out, that was what i really wanted. i really have to go visit emotiva in Tennessee and listen to every amp they have. that was the plan last year but things changed because we found a great deal on a house and we jump on it.
  • jaygax
    edited March 2014
    any XPR owners out there???
  • Geoff4rfc
    Geoff4rfc Posts: 2,291
    edited March 2014
    jaygax wrote: »
    any XPR owners out there???

I don't know of any here, but that XPR-5 looks to be a pretty good deal. I also have plans to put that in my set up as I expand to an 11.4
    Source: BRP Panasonic UB9000, CDP Emotiva ERC3 - Display: LG OLED EVO 83 C3 - Pre/Pro: Marantz 8802A - Amplification: Emotiva XPA-DR3, XPA-2 x 2, XPA-6, Speakers, Mains/2ch-Focal Kanta No2's, C-LSiM706, S-702F/X, RS-RTiA9's, WS-RTiA9's, FH-RTiA3's, Subs - Epik Empire x 2

Cables: AudioQuest McKenzie XLR's/CDP/Amp, Carbon 48/BRP, Forest 48/Display, 2 channel speaker cable: Furutech FS Alpha 36 12AWG PCOCC Single Crystal (Douglas Connection)

EXPERIENCE: next to nothing, but I sure enjoy audio and video MY OPINION OF THIS HOBBY: I may not be a smart man, but I know what quicksand is.
    When I was young, I was Superman but now that old age has gotten the best of me I'm only Batman
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,731
    edited March 2014
    I don't know of any here, but that XPR-5 looks to be a pretty good deal. I also have plans to put that in my set up as I expand to an 11.4

You need a bigger room brother...
  • Geoff4rfc
    edited March 2014
    You need a bigger room brother...

Lol, you know that's right!!! I'm pushing it with my 7.0 as it is :)

I've got some pretty cool houses picked out in the 98406 and 07 areas, early 1900's to please my wife, and with large basements to accommodate an 11.4 :D
    Source: BRP Panasonic UB9000, CDP Emotiva ERC3 - Display: LG OLED EVO 83 C3 - Pre/Pro: Marantz 8802A - Amplification: Emotiva XPA-DR3, XPA-2 x 2, XPA-6, Speakers, Mains/2ch-Focal Kanta No2's, C-LSiM706, S-702F/X, RS-RTiA9's, WS-RTiA9's, FH-RTiA3's, Subs - Epik Empire x 2

Cables: AudioQuest McKenzie XLR's/CDP/Amp, Carbon 48/BRP, Forest 48/Display, 2 channel speaker cable: Furutech FS Alpha 36 12AWG PCOCC Single Crystal (Douglas Connection)

EXPERIENCE: next to nothing, but I sure enjoy audio and video MY OPINION OF THIS HOBBY: I may not be a smart man, but I know what quicksand is.
    When I was young, I was Superman but now that old age has gotten the best of me I'm only Batman
  • ken brydson
    edited March 2014
    Lol, you know that's right!!! I'm pushing it with my 7.0 as it is :)

I've got some pretty cool houses picked out in the 98406 and 07 areas, early 1900's to please my wife, and with large basements to accommodate an 11.4 :D

I've seen a few as well. Let me know when you're ready to start looking!!
  • jaygax
    edited March 2014
    its been 6 days since i got the RTi12 and they're coming to life. as of this moment, im listening to Jeff Lorber's Flipside album on FLAC. the piano and trumpet sounds great. the bass is awesome. not that overwhelming. tight and punchy. not that really bright for the mids and highs anymore. i think my adcom GFA555ii amp handled the speakers pretty well. i'd definitely go with the emotiva XPR5 in the future. more headroom is the key.

but i still miss the SDA sound and clarity. the SDA separation of the various instruments is out of this world. im a believer now.
  • NJPOLKER
    NJPOLKER Posts: 3,474
    edited March 2014
    Hey Jay,
    Why do I have a feeling your a pain in the ****??
  • eclypse
    eclypse Posts: 595
    edited March 2014
    With.that said.. look into a pair of xpa-1's. Used should be around $1200 with transferable warranty.
    Full 5 channel set of Polk Audio
    Fronts - LSiM 705
    Center - LSiM 706c
    Sides - LSiM 703
    Mits WD-82842 82" DLP 3DTV
    Denon AVR-3313CI Receiver
    Emotiva stealth DC-1
    Emotiva XPA-2/Fronts XPA-3 Center-surrounds
    Oppo 103

Loving the new Family! :)
  • jaygax
    edited March 2014
    Njpolker, what have I ever done to you?
  • Coltsfan#1
    Coltsfan#1 Posts: 17
    edited March 2014
    Jaygax, if you're looking for a 5-channel amp, you may want to consider a Parasound 5250. Plenty of power (250 watts/ch and 45 amps peak current per ch), and it tames the brightness of my RTiA7s very nicely. I found a pretty good deal for a 5250 v1 on eBay.
  • jaygax
    edited March 2014
    Coltsfan#1 wrote: »
    Jaygax, if you're looking for a 5-channel amp, you may want to consider a Parasound 5250. Plenty of power (250 watts/ch and 45 amps peak current per ch), and it tames the brightness of my RTiA7s very nicely. I found a pretty good deal for a 5250 v1 on eBay.

thanks for that coltsfan. parasound 5250. i'll keep that in mind.
  • drummer86
    drummer86 Posts: 441
    edited March 2014
    The HCA-2205 would fit the bill as well (Model prior to 5250). 220 wpc and 60amps. Bring your weightlifting belt though as it's ~85lbs

http://www.parasound.com/vintage/hca2205at.php
    Display: LG 47" LCD | AVR: Marantz SR5005 | BD: Panasonic BDT-210 | CD/SACD: Oppo 980 |
    Amps: Rotel RB-990bx | Marantz MA-500 | Speakers: Totem Mite : Totem Mite-C : RC60i | Sub: HSU VTF-2 MKIV

HK AVR635 | Polk R30 | Sony DVD/SACD Player
  • Geoff4rfc
    edited March 2014
    i'd definitely go with the emotiva XPR5 in the future. more headroom is the key..

Maybe you didn't read the contribution I made to your thread concerning a 200wpc Emotiva amp vs headroom.

Take another look before you spend your money.

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,323
    edited March 2014
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,321
    edited March 2014
    I have had a 555 1 & 2. I thought both got bright and a bit sharp in the top when pushed. I have 0 expierence with the emo gear but I do have some expierence with the 12's and sunfire. That mated well.

Also to all that suggested a used parasound +1 go used you can get a much better amp within your budget.
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • jaygax
    edited March 2014
    erniejade wrote: »
    I have had a 555 1 & 2. I thought both got bright and a bit sharp in the top when pushed. I have 0 expierence with the emo gear but I do have some expierence with the 12's and sunfire. That mated well.

Also to all that suggested a used parasound +1 go used you can get a much better amp within your budget.

oh yeah. i saw some great deals on audiogon. i'll keep it within the budget.
  • jaygax
    edited March 2014
    F1nut wrote: »

thanks F1nut.
  • jaygax
    edited March 2014
    i have to ask this to all of you experienced audiophiles here. does quality speaker cables and interconnects really matter on sound quality reproduction?
  • jeremymarcinko
    jeremymarcinko Posts: 3,785
    edited March 2014
    Yes.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • ken brydson
    edited March 2014
    i have to ask this to all of you experienced audiophiles here. does quality speaker cables and interconnects really matter on sound quality reproduction?

Need to get your read on. That is the most hotly debated subject around, no need to rehash it here....
  • Loud & Clear
    Loud & Clear Posts: 1,538
    edited March 2014
    Not unless you want them to.

Two Channel Setup:

Speakers: Wharfedale Opus 2-3
    Integrated Amp: Krell S-300i
    DAC: Arcam irDac
    Source: iMac
    Remote Control: iPad Mini

3.2 Home Theater Setup:

Fronts: Klipsch RP-160M
    Center: Klipsch RP-160M
    Subwoofer: SVS PB12NSD (X 2)
    AVR: Yamaha Aventage RX-A2030
    Blu Ray: Sony BDP-S790
    TV Source: DirecTV Genie
  • NJPOLKER
    NJPOLKER Posts: 3,474
    edited March 2014
    Njpolker, what have I ever done to you?

Nothing

I was just messing with you LOL
  • Jayce1971
    Jayce1971 Posts: 38
    edited March 2014
    Who actually listens to speakers with the response curve set flat? About as exciting as amoeba's humping, (yes, that's a paradox). If the amp is "bright sounding", then bring down the treble a bit on the pre. Personally, I bring up the low's and the high's and scoop the mids, like 90% of people who listen to music do. God forbid your in room response isn't ruler flat, (and sounds like crap)... enjoy! Grab whatever amp you can afford to make these speaker pump, and jam out. Buy used, as it's much cheaper than new...(like F1 pointed out). A lot of quality amps for sale, used. I was gonna bi amp my 12's, and just decided to use the other amp for a subwoofer amp. I'm sure that 200watts will be plenty for the 12's. Whatever you decide, just don't underpower them, and you should be fine.
    Not unless you want them to.
    .... Surely you're not suggesting that satisfaction has a direct correlation between the amount spent and the enjoyment experienced? Lol!
    Home Theater- 5.1/DTS bliss-- Source: Sony BDP-S790; Pre/Pro: Golden Theater GTX-1; Amplifiers: Golden Theater GTA-1; Speakers: Main: RTi6's, Center: RTi6's, Surround: RTi12's, Sub: KSW-12Video: RCA Scenium rear projection 52" @ 1080i.
  • jaygax
    edited March 2014
    this is my setup for now. still a long way to go. the center(klipsch) is still not timber matched, and so is the front presence L & R(klipsch quintets). my surrounds are already Rti4s. the back surrounds are still klipsch quintets.

im taking it one day at a time. money buys music and movie happiness! LOL!

i built the rack myself. pain in the **** sanding them. but i love it! the wood grain is beautiful.

that ugly desktop is my old one. got it from a garage sale for 150 bucks. it died on me last friday. forced me to purchase yesterday a new HTPC from ebay with a blu ray rom for $220. it has a radeon 8210 HD graphics, so im sure it'll play dolby and DTS master audio.
  • jaygax
    edited March 2014
    oh okay! thanks for that. i need over a hundred posts to view the classifieds here. =)
  • jaygax
    edited March 2014
    NJPOLKER wrote: »
    Nothing

I was just messing with you LOL

oh, okay. thanks for that anyway. it helped me in getting to a hundred posts here needed to view the classifieds. =) heck! maybe im a pain in the butt afterall.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,323
    edited March 2014
    Jayce1971 wrote: »
    Who actually listens to speakers with the response curve set flat? About as exciting as amoeba's humping, (yes, that's a paradox). If the amp is "bright sounding", then bring down the treble a bit on the pre. Personally, I bring up the low's and the high's and scoop the mids, like 90% of people who listen to music do. God forbid your in room response isn't ruler flat, (and sounds like crap)... enjoy!

There are very few decent pre amps or integrated amps that have tone controls, and for folks that own a good piece of gear that does, they generally defeat the tone controls. My music rig doesn't have tone controls and I guarantee you there is nothing boring about the sound.
    .... Surely you're not suggesting that satisfaction has a direct correlation between the amount spent and the enjoyment experienced? Lol!

That's a failed argument. There are many here, including myself that have had expereinces with pricey pieces that failed to please.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• inson71
    inson71 Posts: 90
    edited March 2014
    Count me as another vote for Parasound. I went from an Accom gfa555 to a Parasound 2250 powering rti8s. Much warmer and pleasing to the ears.
    Onkyo Pr-sc 5509
    Parasound 2250/Parasound 5125
    SVS PB 12 Plus
    Denon DBP-2012 Bluray
    Polk RTI 8, CSI 3, 4 FXI 3
    Sony 55" LCD
  • jaygax
    edited March 2014
    F1nut wrote: »
    That's a failed argument. There are many here, including myself that have had expereinces with pricey pieces that failed to please.

that's what i fear the most!