Improving Honda Element Audio System with Polk Speakers?

Systems
Systems Posts: 14,873
edited February 2004 in Car Audio & Electronics
I'm looking for an upgrade to the existing stock Element EX stereo system the provides the biggest gain in audio quality. From reading the forum, replacing the front door speakers appears to be the first recommended upgrade (~$150). So I headed over to the local Circuit City to have a pair of db650's installed and was told the I would notice very little improvement in audio quality.

For reference, the Honda Element EX has 250 watt stock setup with a separate 6 1/2 subwoofer, two A-pillar mounted tweeters, and Front/Rear 5 1/4 paper cones mounted in the doors. Myself, as well as others, believes that the stock setup has a weak or muddy midrange.
Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited February 2004
    so it has 5.25s in the front and back?
    and one 6.5 woofer?
    wheres that at?
    if you want to upgrade, the first thing youll need to do is a buy a new head unit, speakers come after that
    -Cody
  • Systems
    edited February 2004
    so it has 5.25s in the front and back?
    and one 6.5 woofer?
    wheres that at?
    if you want to upgrade, the first thing youll need to do is a buy a new head unit, speakers come after that

>>> the 6.5" subwoofer is positioned directly below the center of the front dash. As for replacing the headunit, it appears to be possible - but difficult since no standard adapter kits exist yet that would interface to the speakers, subwoofer, amp, and the separate aux input jack. A recommendation from Circuit City last week was to wait awhile until an adapter kit shows up and then upgrade the head unit first. Hence the thought that a simple speaker upgrade would make a big difference in audio quality.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited February 2004
    well its going to by kind of expensive at first...
    im not sure if you can hook up aftermarket speakers...
    the "high end" stock systems are really odd...
    the wiring and such
    thats why its better to knock the whole thing out with one punch
    get the head unit and replace the speakers
    cuz most of the time you wont be able to use the wiring that came with the vehicle
    id wait for the adapter to come out, then think about speakers
    but dont take CC's word on it
    call crutchfield at 1-800-555-9507
    theyre open from 8am to midnight eastern
    ask them about it
    if they say no, it probably doesnt exist
    to a circuit city employee...if its not in stock...it doesnt exist...
    -Cody
  • Systems
    edited February 2004
    Thanks for the advice, I just shot an email to Crutchfield. A new headunit certainly seems to be the way to go - followed by component speakers.

A quick search on Crutchfield also turned up the Clarion ProAudio DXZ645MP receiver which seems to have all of the correct interfaces?
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing