Rrod!!!

mrbiron
mrbiron Posts: 5,711
edited March 2014 in Video Games
**** $%^er!!!

This is my 5th or 6th 360 that has crapped the bed.
Has anyone tried the fixit kit before? http://www.ifixit.com/Store/Game-Console/Xbox-360-Red-Ring-of-Death-Fix-Kit/IF205-024-1

I don't want to get rid of it as i have a backlog of games that i wanted to play and am not ready to adopt the new tech yet. Warranty and extended warranty are WAY OUT!

This is my life! Opened an IPA, shipped baby off the grandmas and grandmas, and wifey doesn't feel good requesting some alone time. Now what?

Error code is 0110 Memory

Any advise is appreciated.
Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
Post edited by mrbiron on

Comments

• EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,525
    edited March 2014
    That's what you get for selling HALO 4 :wink:

Try blowing the vents out with compressed air to see if that helps...

Also does it have space to intake and exhaust air? Most of my buddies that rrod'd had it in a cabinet. I had a Halo 3 Xbox RROD after 6 years and am on my second console because I have an open rack.

I run mine a couple hours a day min so take some pics of where you have it, try to blow it out as it could be the exhaust fan clogged up.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • jeremymarcinko
    jeremymarcinko Posts: 3,785
    edited March 2014
    mrbiron wrote: »
    This is my life! Opened an IPA, shipped baby off the grandmas and grandmas

Grandma gotta girlfriend does she?
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • mrbiron
    edited March 2014
    DSC00744_zps58cecc45.jpg

Hows that for wide open??

No, Grandma does not have a girlfriend......she has a son in law that doesn't know where the letter "P" is located on the keyboard.

I just watched a couple of videos showing how to remove the cover. That will be tomorrow's adventure!
  • jeremymarcinko
    jeremymarcinko Posts: 3,785
    edited March 2014
    Good luck, I tried to fix a Ps3 once, couldn't get past the top cover without breaking it.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • EndersShadow
    edited March 2014
    I opened up my last RROD in an attempt to fix it...wasnt able too, but my brother in law did the same and blew out the fans and all vents and it fired right up.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • mrbiron
    edited March 2014
    Well, I didn't get very far with opening the box today. I ordered the kit with the additional heatsinks, removal tool, etc...
    I'll swing by wallyworld tomorrow and grab myself a heat gun as well.

I refuse to believe this thing is dead!!

I went out and bought another copy of Halo 4 just in case it's what caused the problem. :-P no i didn't.....
  • mrbiron
    edited March 2014
    And now i check my email and it says they are out of stock of the repair kit and do nit have an ETA on new ones.

AWESOME!....Amazon here i come
  • EndersShadow
    edited March 2014

I went out and bought another copy of Halo 4 just in case it's what caused the problem. :-P no i didn't.....

Bastage
  • mrbiron
    edited March 2014
    If you go to Gamestop.com, it says that there are 1,090 games in the "NEW" section under the 360 category. Nowhere does it say that Halo4 is the only game for the console.....lol!!!

Get another game damnit! :)
  • EndersShadow
    edited March 2014
    If you go to Gamestop.com, it says that there are 1,090 games in the "NEW" section under the 360 category. Nowhere does it say that Halo4 is the only game for the console.....lol!!!

Get another game damnit! :)

LOL... I am boring... I find something that works and just stick with it :smile:...

Actually Titanfall has me debating buying it...

That and Afro Samurai was QUITE fun I must admit...
  • mrbiron
    edited March 2014
    I've got everything stripped down, thermal paste all cleaned up. It literally took 8 minutes to dismantle the entire piece. All cleaned and dusted to new. Now i wait for my heat gun to arrive to "reflow".

What ever is up there, i hope this works!!

Titanfall does look good. If you buy the "One", Gamestop has it as a direct download for that bundle.
    http://www.gamestop.com/xbox-one/consoles/xbox-one-titanfall-bundle/113923

Just sayin...........
  • mrbiron
    edited March 2014
    Finished the repair. Went without hassle with one exception. The kit includes a new rubber band for the pulley on the drive. I replaced it but now have a problem opening and closing the drive. Hitting the eject button about three times solves the problem.

Other than that. I stress tested the console for about a 4 hour session of GTA5. No problems to report. Now I have to just burn through my backlog and think about getting a new console in a couple of months.