MMC650 fit question

ront
ront Posts: 4
edited February 2004 in Car Audio & Electronics
Hi guys, I am new here and as usual have a question. I have been looking at speakers for my truck and have narrowed it down to 2 different speakers, The Eclipse SP8962 and the Polk/Momo MMC650. I just saw the Momo's last night and am pretty impressed. I checked the fit guide at the Crutchfield web sight and it says these speakers will not fit my truck. I called to find out why and they told me that it is the height of the tweeter. It will hit the factory grill they say. Is there a way to get around this? I really think that I would like to try these speakers. Thanks for any information and help.

Ron
Post edited by ront on

Comments

• sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited February 2004
    take the grille off
    -Cody
  • ront
    edited February 2004
    Thanks for the reply. I am talking about the factory grill on the truck door. I am pretty sure it is pretty securely fastened on.

Ron
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited February 2004
    like on a chevy?
    if its a style like mine (96) then you just take the door panel
    unscrew the bottom part
    then pop out the rivots
    -Cody
  • ront
    edited February 2004
    I am not sure we are talking about the same thing here. I know how to take off my door panel. The door panel has a speaker grill(metal, I think) built into the door panel. Crutchfield says that the tweeter of the MMC650 will hit the speaker grill that is built into the door panel.

Ron
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited February 2004
    what kind of truck do you have?year?
    -Cody
  • ront
    edited February 2004
    I have a 92 Ford F150 regular cab. If I look at the Polk fit guide, it says the speakers will fit, but Crutchfield says not without some work. I called them yesterday. I am not saying that Crutchfield is the last word, I am just a bit confused.

Thanks, Ron
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited February 2004
    go to circuit city and ask
    theyve have experience with your vehicle
    -Cody
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited February 2004
    i had that problem with the polk DX 6x9's in my dodge ram doors.

here's whatcha do, you dig up some "bottom mount" rings... these may be a **** to find, but they're just a 1 inch or 1 1/2 inch tall plastic thin ring that goes right around the speaker... u can just use a small piece of tape on either side to secure it... then you faster your door panel on.... and the door panel presses against the ring which gives you that extra inch or so for your tweeter to sit comfortably. this will result in a teeny eency weency stiffness in your door panel in that spot and maybe an UNNOTICEABLE "push out" from there... but dude... u'll never know... and it'll work fine... jsut dig up a set.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge