Schitt tube headphone amps

gudnoyez
gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
edited April 2014 in Headphones
http://schiit.com/products/valhalla

Thinking hard on this one and adding one of there Dacs with it would this be a good choice, plus it would be my first venture with trying out tubes. Does anyone own one of these? I was also looking at Cary tube headphone amps but they are out of my budget. I've been looking for headphone amps all day, can't make up my mind
Home Theater
Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
Post edited by gudnoyez on

Comments

• AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    edited February 2014
    Which headphones do you have? Those tubes work best with high impedance headphones, if you have efficient low impedance cans they're gonna sound like poo on that Valhalla...
  • gudnoyez
    edited February 2014
    Sennheiser 598 they are 50ohms if not this one any other tube amp you can recommend? I see you have the Lyr and 600's
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

• gudnoyez
    edited February 2014
    How about the Vali with the Modi Dac it's still a tube amp from what I have read schiit makes some pretty good headphone amps.
    Home Theater

2 Channel

Stuff for the Head

• gudnoyez
    edited February 2014
    How about the Loki or the bitfrost then?
    Home Theater

2 Channel

Stuff for the Head

• voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    edited February 2014
    For some really good info on those dacs & amps and what headphones that work with them head over to the HEAD-FI forums at:

http://www.head-fi.org/f/

I've been reading their forums for many days straight now trying to get a better idea of the dacs and headphones & amps and which par up the best, I just bought a WOO WA3 headphone amp. but a lot of people there love those Schitt amps :)

check this article out http://www.head-fi.org/t/680880/holy-schiit-add-dsd-to-any-dac-for-149-meet-loki
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    edited February 2014
    I wouldn't spend too much on an amp with those 598s. They're a good headphone and probably the best full size anywhere around the $150 they typically sell for. You can find amps that work well with them, but they're typically amps that won't scale as well to better cans. And the better amps out there typically don't mate with those 598 very well.

What are you looking to get in terms of sound? There's not an amp on this planet that's going to get great detail out of those cans, it's just not there. Those headphones are a very smooth and laid back sound, and there's really no changing that.

In terms of Schiit, I personally like their gear and find it good at respective price points. That doesn't mean I like every piece, and also don't particularly care for their DACs as I find them a little lean sounding, but all of their amps are very good at their prices. That being said, there are better options if you want to spend more. For example, the Woo Audio WA3 is a much better sounding amp than the Valhalla, but at twice the price and that's BEFORE you get into the damn near mandatory tube upgrade to get the best sound out of it.

If you just have to go tubes, then check out the Vali as it's a tube hybrid design and those headphones fall within the range that amp is designed to drive. I've never heard it and wouldn't expect the world for $120, but that's where I would start.

If you're really wanting to build a great headphone rig then you need to start with better headphones, figure out what kind of sound you want and start with the headphones and then pick your amp accordingly.
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,556
    edited February 2014
    once again- a trip to a head-fi meet will give a lot of exposure in a short time.
    IT takes a while to sort out who knows something, who doesn't, and who's
    selling something (shills) at head-fi. It's gotten pretty bad in the
    last couple of years. FOTM(flavor of the month) is common over there.
    At a meet, you'll be able to spot who's who pretty quickly.
    I haven' t kept up on some of the new gear like Schitt.
    The O2 amp and DAC offer up a good value for the buck,
    and work best with low Z cans. And you can DIY that set up and save a few $$.
    If nothing else, the head-fi for sale site can offer up reasonably priced
    gear so you can try a few things. I spend my time at meets listening to
    $$$$$ gear I'll never afford. I'm ready to DIY a new amp, just a matter of
    which one.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    edited February 2014
    I just ordered the Schiit Asgard 2 for use with my 24ohm headphones. I'll post up some impressions soon, it should be arriving later this week. http://schiit.com/products/asgard-2
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited April 2014
    Sennheisers are not that difficult to drive. Even the HD600s sound OK on less than desirable sources and amplification. And they're 300 ohms. They're easier to power than either the Q701s or the DT990s (250) ohm. WAY EASIER. But, they DO sound better with a decent headphone amp.

Those Schiit amps are pretty good. But with Assimilated, I wouldn't bother with the DAC units.

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]