new cans in the house

Options
sucks2beme
sucks2beme Posts: 5,558
edited February 2014 in Headphones
I just picked up local set of AKG q701's in black.
The price was $100.
Good news- they look like new.
Bad news- they smell like an ash tray.
So I've done a couple things. An extensive cleaning plan to clear out the smell.
Not done yet, but it's greatly reduced.
While I had everything pulled apart, I did the bass port mod. So far, so good.
They seem to sound pretty good. At a 100 clams, very good.
I'm going to have to run through the Senns and the Grado ps500 to see
how they stack up. Off the top of my head, the ps500's were warmer, but
more to follow.
"The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
Post edited by sucks2beme on

Comments

• gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,066
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Man getting that smell off of things is hard, try wiping them with a rag and vinegar, or put them in a box along with some baking soda that might help eliminate the odor. Sounds like a deal you got there. But having a pair on your head right next to the sniffer might be annoying.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • sucks2beme
    edited February 2014
    Options
    I pulled it apart. Pads, back foams and front foams. Al plastic was wiped down- smell is off that.
    The inside front and back foams were washed out and dried on low heat in the dryer on a
    sweater rack- so no tumbling. I wiped the earpads with cloth and citrus upholstery cleaner-
    dried the same way. The smell has largely gone away. The leather headband and the pads
    still hold a bit of odor. I had also let it sit overnight in a bag with a sock full of baking soda.
    I will try immersing the pads in soap and water and doing the dryer trick again in a couple of days.
    That's a lot of work to save $50-$80. But I needed to pull it apart anyway to open up the
    bass ports to improve bass. It goes a long way towards making these a good overall set of cans.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • sucks2beme
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Ok- impressions.
    The akg house sound is a lot different than classic Senn sound.
    As noted by reviewers, there are some oddities in the low treble, and stock low bass is
    quick, but could use some boost. With the bass port mod, better. In foobar
    I'm using the advanced EQ, so I have a lot of control. Right now I have
    a couple of db boost from 0 to 300 hz. I also dropped a couple db from 3k on up.
    Good sound for it's price point. Keep in mind you can buy this one brand new for
    $200 online. The hd650 is too heavy in the low end. The Grado ps500, unlike most other
    Grados has a warm sound to it. Not HD650 dark, but a pretty good warm. The thing about
    warm or dark in a headphone, it doesn't hit you with those tiresome quirks in a lot
    of recordings.But it also doesn't give you the detail or sparkle.
    The akg q701 with the mod and a bit of eq(nothing radical) sounds very good.
    The fit is very good. The pads are very deep, and are large in diameter. No problems with
    anything touching your ears.Also , it doesn't get warm like Senns can. Or kill you
    with the rough, on ear sandpaper feel you can get from Grados. (note: old guys with
    lots of ear hair know what I'm talking about. Ear stubble!). The fit reminds me of the
    Senn HD800, which takes this idea a bit further. Some people may find the bumps on
    the bottom of the headband to be annoying. They also come with a 10 and 20 ft
    removable cord! Also, please be advised, if you don't plan on an amp, don't buy these.
    They are power hogs. My summery, 100 smackers well spent.
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    edited February 2014
    Options
    I've got a pair of those laying around here somewhere, along with the 702 anniversaries. I should pull out both pair for some listening time...
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Just to let you know both you guys suck. I was pickin around the head phone booth at magnolia again to day and it's you guys fault for sucking me into that headphone room at Skips house.

When my wife asks for new purse money I'm gonna tell her you guys stole it.
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a