Volume of custom boxes?

ithaca00
ithaca00 Posts: 19
edited April 2004 in Custom Fabrication
How do you go about finding the volume of odd-shaped boxes (i.e. tire wells, nooks&crannies, etc.)?
Post edited by ithaca00 on

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Polk Woodpecker Posts: 0
    edited February 2004
    We have test equipment here that can test the box volume by measuring the resistance of the sub out of the enclosure vs. in the enclosure.

Before we knew we had that ability, we would use styrofoam packing peanuts and stuff the box with them. Then we would empty them into a square box that we could measure. It's not dead on but it's pretty accurate.
  • sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited February 2004
    i knew a guy who got a really good garbage bag and filled it with water and measured the water...
    but id go with the peanuts thing...
    -Cody
  • ithaca00
    ithaca00 Posts: 19
    edited February 2004
    Originally posted by Josh
    We have test equipment here that can test the box volume by measuring the resistance of the sub out of the enclosure vs. in the enclosure.

Before we knew we had that ability, we would use styrofoam packing peanuts and stuff the box with them. Then we would empty them into a square box that we could measure. It's not dead on but it's pretty accurate.

How ould you go about measuring the volume of the area before building an enclosure? I guess just use the peanuts.

Thanks for the help.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Polk Woodpecker Posts: 0
    edited February 2004
    We measure the area as square as we can to make sure we have enough space. You can shrink an enclosure easier than enlarging it.
  • TheAudioSpectru
    TheAudioSpectru Posts: 57
    edited February 2004
    That packing peanuts thing is a pretty good idea...we have enough of those laying around the shop everywhere that's for sure
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited April 2004
    Sand works real well, and is very accurate. Of course you need a shape to pour it into. Once you've poured it, then empty it into a measuring container. If the container is measured in liters or milliliters, then convert the figure into cu feet.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing