Anyone own/tried W4S Music Server???

Options
VCoak
VCoak Posts: 200
edited February 2014 in Going Digital
I was wondering if any CP's have or heard this system? I enjoy techie stuff and love Apple products for their simplicity. The idea of controlling my music through my ipad and a good DAC is capturing my attention more and more.

I am on the fence between a music server or staying with a traditional CDP. Sound quality is my top priority. Any thoughts....

mco
W4S SX-1000, Adcom gfp-750, Polk 1.2tl, W4S DAC 2 DSDse, 2012 mac mini (mod), JRivers ver. 19, WD Cloud NAS 2 t.b., Monster Cable AVS-2000 signature, Doug's Alpha I/C & Doug's biwire 6' speaker cables
Post edited by VCoak on

Comments

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    edited February 2014
    Options
    There's a tad more to it than just hooking up an IPAD and a dac....especially if SQ is top priority. Running a program over apples like Pure Music or Amarro and some others as well is going to be key. Also a good dac means different things to different people, don't cheap out in that area.

We have a million threads on getting good audio out of the 'puter, read up some, get some knowledge under your belt and a budget in mind before diving in.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • VCoak
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Thx, Tonyb

Stayed up late reading so much. I did find more on the threads and some good info here. Big learning curve in this arena. I want to avoid using/building a computer another computer. Already have two high end gaming 'puters. Lots of $$ in them.

Will check out the mentioned programs. As for DAC I looking at matching the server with W4S DAC-2.
    W4S SX-1000, Adcom gfp-750, Polk 1.2tl, W4S DAC 2 DSDse, 2012 mac mini (mod), JRivers ver. 19, WD Cloud NAS 2 t.b., Monster Cable AVS-2000 signature, Doug's Alpha I/C & Doug's biwire 6' speaker cables
  • VCoak
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Did a bunch of reading on music servers. Personally I like the W4S music server. Clean, simple and I not additional computer.
  • tonyb
    edited February 2014
    Options
    VCoak wrote: »
    Did a bunch of reading on music servers. Personally I like the W4S music server. Clean, simple and I not additional computer.

It's a nice unit for sure, but it's also 2 grand retail. If your good with that, go grab it and rock on bro.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • thsmith
    thsmith Posts: 6,082
    edited February 2014
    Options
    I use a W4S DAC 2 with my Mac Mini and Amarra. Stunning results and have no desire to go any further.

I use an Ipad to headlessly drive the Mac Mini.

The only time the Mac hits the internet is to upgrade Amarra and IOS.
    Speakers: SDA-1C (most all the goodies)
    Preamp: Joule Electra LA-150 MKII SE
    Amp: Wright WPA 50-50 EAT KT88s
    Analog: Marantz TT-15S1 MBS Glider SL| Wright WPP100C Amperex BB 6er5 and 7316 & WPM-100 SUT
    Digital: Mac mini 2.3GHz dual-core i5 8g RAM 1.5 TB HDD Music Server Amarra (memory play) - USB - W4S DAC 2
    Cables: Mits S3 IC and Spk cables| PS Audio PCs
  • VCoak
    edited February 2014
    Options
    It is a big savings going mac. I2S between the W4S DAC 2 DSD and the their server is very interesting and reading as much as possible. Would like to hear A/B comparisons.

Thx thsmith

mco
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    edited February 2014
    Options
    I probably wouldn't spend that much on a media server even if I had the spare change, just too much other options and better things to do with that money.

I feel like a broken record just recommending the Oppo 105 over and over, but it has several options for streaming and is a fantastic DAC as well. It is an incredible value for what it does. You can use the Oppo interface via an iPad, you can use the USB input coming from a computer, you can use an airport express into the optical input, or you can set the Oppo up as a zone in J River and use the wonderful JRemote app on an iPad to control everything. It really is a superb product.
  • tonyb
    edited February 2014
    Options
    The W4S server is more so an all in one unit. That's the allure, no fuss. Built in storage too for loading up your cd's. Kinda like the Olive or Q-sonix stuff. No compatibility issues, no programs to set up, no external storage devices, no added gear to buy with the quality built in dac. Has merit and functionality. 2k price tag is fairly reasonable too considering what the W4S DAC 2 retails for.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,915
    edited February 2014
    Options
    I have been eyeballing the W4S for a few weeks now, I'm sure I will pull the trigger on it down the road, and add it to my W4S gear..
  • VCoak
    edited February 2014
    Options
    After spending many hours last night doing a pricing for a mac mini plus numerous add-ons if you go that route, the cost is getting close to the W4S. Plus I am in factoring in my personal time. While I enjoy spending time doing this I also do enjoy relaxing time too.

Like Toolfan mentioned I may just go for it in the future. Sometimes simplicity is worth its weight in gold.

If I do buy either system I will post my results and let everyone know.

mco