NAD C542 CD player

Options
billbillw
billbillw Posts: 6,185
I am selling this highly respected CD player. The NAD C542 is somewhat of a giant killer.

The C 542 replaces NAD's venerable C541i. With the worldwide acclaim and numerous awards for outstanding performance and value, it is fair to ask why NAD would "mess with success". But NAD has never rested on its laurels; rather, development is ongoing at the NAD Lab and new models are launched when we feel a significant improvement has been achieved. Such is the case with the C 542. The cosmetics of the C 542 were refined to remain consistent with our emerging line of components as well as the addition of minor conveniences on the remote control. But making improvements to the performance of the C 542 would prove to be a major challenge as the first generation 541i was already so good. Several minor changes and upgrades were made in the overall circuitry and digital to analogue processing. It was the combined effect of these refinements that resulted in a dramatic difference at the output stage. Now a depth and clarity not previously achieved is evident during every passage of music. With perfect timbre and timing, matched with improved low frequency extension, the entire experience is more emotional and lucid.

C 542 Specifications

CD, CD-R and CD-RW Compatible
HDCD® Decoder with Automatic Detection
Burr-Brown Sigma-Delta 24 bit Digital to Analogue Converter
Nichicon "Muse" capacitors
Coaxial Digital Output
Optical Digital Output
Low Output Impedance
Separate Power Regulators for Analog and Digital Sections
VFL Display with selectable Track, Time and Repeat
Repeat Mode for Single Track or Entire CD
Program Play up to 20 Tracks
Random Play
External IR Input
12V Trigger Input
NAD CD-6 Full Function Remote Control

When I received this, it wouldn't read discs. I replaced most of the the power supply caps with the best quality Panasonic FM/FC caps and put a brand new optical pickup (a genuine one from B&D Enterprises). Now it reads every disc I've put in it like a champ. No skipping. Overall, in excellent condition. One small dent on the top front edge. I tried to show it in the photos.

Comes with original box, remote, manual, service manual, and another BRAND NEW KSS-213C, still in the anti-static packaging. With the new caps and another laser, this unit should be good for another 15-20 years. The laser replacement in this unit is quite easy.

Asking $200+shipping.

Actual photos:
IMGP07051280x848.jpg
IMGP07041280x848.jpg
IMGP07031280x848.jpg
IMGP07021280x848.jpg
IMGP06981280x848.jpg
For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
Post edited by billbillw on

Comments

• billbillw
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Hmm. Not sure why the photos are so small. The forum must be shrinking them now. Let me know if you need too see larger photos and I can email them.
  • chandler9a
    chandler9a Posts: 877
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Great CD player for the money. GLWTS
  • billbillw
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Bump.
    This player seems to be a great candidate for mods as well. There is a lengthy thread at DIY audio. A simple change of output opamps and possibly some nicy poly caps as final filters can yield great results. Even in the stock form that it is in now, it was right up there with my Elite PD-D9J. On the few HDCD discs I listened to, it was superior to the Elite.
  • billbillw
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Another bump. Nice player for the money. Willing to consider reasonable offers.
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited February 2014
    Options
    i'm thinking
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • billbillw
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Forgot to update. Sold to George.
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited March 2014
    Options
    It was great seeing you again today,,you have gotta invite me back,, I was very impressed with your rig,,guys,,Bill has some very nice gear,,those speaks we're very nice,,and we are talking low volume,,you know sometimes when you walk into a room and think,,this is it,, we'll,,that's bill's rig. Very nice sir! indeed
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • billbillw
    edited March 2014
    Options
    It was great seeing you again today,,you have gotta invite me back,, I was very impressed with your rig,,guys,,Bill has some very nice gear,,those speaks we're very nice,,and we are talking low volume,,you know sometimes when you walk into a room and think,,this is it,, we'll,,that's bill's rig. Very nice sir! indeed

Awww, shucks...
    George, it was nice to see you again too. You're welcome to visit any time. I honestly don't think my rig is that impressive, but thanks for the compliments.