LFE hookup

Options
mgd99
mgd99 Posts: 84
I am using the LFE cable input for my PSW450. Reading Polks material it says that LFE is used in Dolby Digital 5.1 and not in Pro-Logic.

Now, it also says that broadcast and cable are only prologic, SOOOOOO does that mean when I am watching broadcast or cable TV, that my subwoofer is not getting any use?

The manual for the PSW450 shows an option1 that has the front speakers hooked into the sub and then the sub going into the receivers L/R inputs. It says ths allows pro-logic, dolby and LFE......so I am assuming that since I am only going from the sub-out to the LFE, I am not using my sub during broadcast and cable viewing (non-digital channels)

How wrong am I ?

I know I'm confused, especially after reading
http://www.polkaudio.com/home/faqad/q.php?article=hookupsub

where it says "One of the worst places to hook up a subwoofer is the subwoofer output jack"

Ummmmm isn't that the sub-out jack on my receiver that runs to the LFE input on my PSW??

Thuddddddddddddd

TIA

mgd99
Post edited by mgd99 on

Comments

• Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited January 2004
    Options
    You'll find that most people around here use an LFE cable, and a good many of us also use a y-splitter or y-cable to connect to the stereo inputs (Left & Right) on our subs (if so equiped). This will get you a 3bd gain. Most television broadcasts are going to be either mono or stereo, and some stations that are broadcasting an HDTV signal also pass on a DD5.1 signal if it's available on a particular program. Your receivers various DPL (DPLII) modes can generate a decent surround effect from the original signal source. The receivers crossover setpoint will determine which frequencies are sent to your sub.
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • wrxmy02
    wrxmy02 Posts: 92
    edited February 2004
    Options
    I have the PSW450 and it is not up to the PSW450 if it gets a single from the LFE on DD/DTS or regular sound. Your amp controls this. Most cases your amp only has one one output for the sub, and YES you get LFE output from ALL formats. You do have your amp set-up to bass out to SW..Right?
    If something seems off please post what amp you have.
    Front: LSI7
    Center: LSIC
    Surrounds: LSI7
    SVS PB2-ISD SUB [MONOLITH!]
    ATI 1805 Amp
  • walk
    walk Posts: 178
    edited February 2004
    Options
    There is no such thing as an "LFE" output.

What you are using is the "subwoofer" output, which on a properly designed AVR will be *both* the LFE channel (when present on DD/DTS recordings) *and* the Bass-Managed low frequencies from all the other channels, including the left, right, center (whatever) from 2-channel or ProLogic or DSP modes.

Get it?
    - Sony 50"A3000 SXRD; Onkyo TX-SR 805
    - Polk RTi150 mains; CSi30 center; FXi3 surrounds, R15 backs
    - Velodyne CHT-12 subwoofer
  • mgd99
    mgd99 Posts: 84
    edited February 2004
    Options
    walk

I just read all the posts.

Where do you see someone saying LFE output?

Question is....Do YOU get it?
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited February 2004
    Options
    Sub out on the rec, RCA cable, Sub/Line in on the sub, start twistin' knobs... Jesus H Christ.

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

****' coocoo's nest.

Cheers,
    Cooter VonBallbagenson
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • wrxmy02
    wrxmy02 Posts: 92
    edited February 2004
    Options
    Plenty on all formats 2ch 4ch or 5 channel formats.
    Front: LSI7
    Center: LSIC
    Surrounds: LSI7
    SVS PB2-ISD SUB [MONOLITH!]
    ATI 1805 Amp
  • John K.
    John K. Posts: 822
    edited February 2004
    Options
    MGD, the problem is terminology. LFE means Low Frequency Effects; it doesn't refer to all the bass which can be present in any format. LFE is present (occasionally)in DD and DTS 5.1 movies(it's in the ".1" channel) when extra-heavy low frequency material(e.g. explosions, etc.)is recorded. Much of the time there is no LFE. Two channel and four channel(Prologic)formats have no LFE output, although, of course, they have the usual bass.

Next point is that the "LFE" input on the sub, which is the one you should use, is somewhat misleadingly labeled in that it inputs not only LFE(if and when present)but also the low bass, as set by the crossover filter in the receiver(e.g. below 80Hz). So, in short, even when there's no LFE, there may be plenty of bass for your sub to reproduce.

Despite the suggestion in the manual, you should connect the sub out on your receiver to the LFE input on your sub with a coaxial cable. The LFE input bypasses the internal sub crossover, which would just be in the way of the crossover done by your receiver when all speakers are set small(with the crossover preferably at 80Hz, if available and if the speakers have good response at least that low).
  • walk
    walk Posts: 178
    edited February 2004
    Options
    What he said.

I just meant that the subwoofer output doesn't ONLY put out the LFE channel on x.1 recordings, it also puts out the bass from the other channels, including from 2-channel (analog, TV, etc) signals.

In other words, the answer is "no" your subwoofer is not sitting idle during stereo/ProLogic/etc material.
    - Sony 50"A3000 SXRD; Onkyo TX-SR 805
    - Polk RTi150 mains; CSi30 center; FXi3 surrounds, R15 backs
    - Velodyne CHT-12 subwoofer